New plaster

zad

Inactive User
Reaction score
Evening,

Had my walls skimmed in with new plaster.. tis better than old!!

How long do/should I leave it till painting? currently got a dehumidifier on low helping with the drying time etc...

cheers

soon as there are no damp patchs :)

also use waterd down emultion as the plaster will suck the paint in first coat ;)

Depends on environment, and depth of skim.

Watch it. It will go dark to light and dark again, and so on.

At least a week, but I would wait three.

It may crack in places so you'll need to fill and smooth those out before you paint. I'd leave it alone for as long as possible.

3 weeks !!!! :Yikes:
thats what you tell the wife to get out of painting lol

should be a 3mm skim just dont dry it out too quick with the humidifier

Leave it to dry out for a cpl of days, and give a coat or 2 with a cheap white emulsion so that the plaster soaks it in. Then Paint away. :)

Dont try get it to dry to quickly

How do fella.
As others have suggested giving it a few coats with cheap emulsion will do the trick but it will soak them up rapidly.
I would suggest going to your local builders merchants and getting a pva sealer and water it down and either spray it on or coat with an old brush.
Febond pva is a good one that i would highly recommend as it seals the walls superbly for painting afterward in one coat usually.

Ive not heard of PVA on newly plastered walls hoppy

pva the wall before plastering so the plaster adheres to old surface but not once plaster has dried
paint should be enough

I spoze everyone does it differently :)

pva the wall before plastering so the plaster adheres to old surface but not once plaster has dried
paint should be enough

I done it on My living room wall. Its really good. instantly will seal the plaster and allow a better coating of paint. I ran out for the weans room so just used emulsion. Its actually easy to work with too

paint should be enough

The plasterers used to tell me in the merchants that sealing it with pva saved a lot of time Rat.
They often used it for prep and finishing if i remember right mate.
From what i remember you thin it down usually 3 parts to 1 if memory serves.

cheers guys :)

I dont plaster but I sell the stuff day in day out lol I should know these things

I pva anything thats unstable, saves loads of time and gives the best results. mix 4 parts water to 1 part pva, spray it on with an old garden spayer/whatever and brush into corners and gaps. also dont worry about brand all pva's the same

Use diluted pva from builders merchants as a sealing coat when it is dry then any thing will stick to it

OOOOOPS, Adam, great minds think alike, sorry for the duplication

Last edited:
yep pva is definately the best way to go. will save u wasting alot of paint, that will get soaked up by the plaster

good money in the game now m8,should of kept it up

should of said was good money before hard times hit lol

good money in the game now m8,should of kept it up

should of said was good money before hard times hit lol

Aye very true fella.
I was just doing it on a YTS scheme and i was too stupid to work out that hard hard work pays so ended up selling it instead at Jewson's.

If its your own house i would definatly use diluted emulsion, If you go for the pva option then make sure plaster is completly bone dry first as pva will seal in any moisture thats left and that could lead to probs in the future.

Back