Build advice New Pc time.

Cressi

Inactive User
Reaction score
Any Computer experts on here?

I need a new Desktop and can't decide what to get. I have toyed with the idea of building my own but with so much choice it scares me.

Looking at various rigs on internet and ebay and quite frankly the options are mind blowing.

I don't play pc games so not bothered about massive graphics card.

Obviously buying something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-I5-4...item20d901536c

has it's own pitfalls usually cheap PSU but it's a minefield

Would I be better off buying a decent second hand job i.e http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Desktop-PC...item3ce59575bd

I'm lost to be honest

Think I would prefer Intel ( i5) as opposed to AMD

Budget up to £600

Those links aren't working.

You've said not gaming, so what is it that you do want to use this for?

Is there anything specific it has to have? (e.g. legacy ports)

second hand is going to work out cheaper if that is what you want to do.

If you want build your own then you can pick and choose anything specific that you are looking for. As you mention PSU is one of the most important parts and something that many people skimp on.

I would look at something like the following,

i5-4460 - £135
Gigabyte H97M-D3H - £65
8GB Mushkin RAM - £53
250 GB Samsung 840 Evo SSD - £95
2GB Western Digital HDD - £60
550W XFX Pro core edition - £46
BitFenix Neos ATX Tower - £30

Add on delivery and that should come in at just under £500. Pretty well balance and very quick for general usage.

Optional - optical drive, keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers and software.

Those links aren't working.

You've said not gaming, so what is it that you do want to use this for?

Is there anything specific it has to have? (e.g. legacy ports)

No I just need a pc that I can use and will last for the next few years. My last one gave up after the ghost after 12 years ( think Triggers broom). Currently using my daughters ancient one and she wants it back.

get on the local gumtree mate pick one up for £50 and take the family away for a week
sounds like you don't use anything more than a 50 quid second hand pc wont handle

build your own

decide the spec you want or need

its not hard to do

I was really afraid to build my own about 18 months ago I got them to put in the mother board but I did the rest very easy to do I would have a go at building from scratch if I was doing it again, the one bit of advice I would offer is get a solid state hard drive to run your operating system on they are really fast compared to normal hard drive also get as much processor as you can afford you can always add memory and storage space later when you have more money
Good luck

Back