Build advice My First PC Build in 3 hours.

tlogic

Inactive User
Reaction score
Well guys I built my first Ever PC today and I can honestly say it was a breeze. Think I found a new hobby lol
Don't think I'll be buying an off the shelf pc ever again :proud:

Here my set up, I know some of the parts maybe outdated but I didn't care about that aslong as It did the job. My build set me back around £700 exluding the monitor.
i Still need to buy a GPU which I will buy next month.

1 x NZXT H440 New 2015 Edition Case - Matte Black=
1 x Gigabyte Z170-Gaming K3 - Intel Core i5 6600K Bundle
1 x Cooler Master V6 CPU Cooler=
1 x Avexir Core Red Series 8GB (2x4GB) DDR4 PC4-19200C16 2400MHz Dual Channel Kit (AVD4UZ124001604G-2CIR=
1 x Samsung 500GB 750 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps Solid State Drive=
1 x Super Flower Golden Green HX 450W "80 Plus Gold" Power Supply - Black
1x TP PCI wireless network adapter
1x bluetooth dongle
1x HP Envy 34inch curved Screen

image upload no size limit

Nice :).

Bring back jumpers, DIP switches and undecipherable manuals I say!

The trick to a good PC build is getting all cables nice and tidy so air flows around case well

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Nice build mate.
That's 1 beast of a CPU cooler.

When I built my gaming rig last year I opted for the corsair h100i water cooler as the stock cooler wasn't up for the job.

Just make sure when buying your graphics card that your PSU has enough power to handle it..along with all the other hardware.

Depending on your needs in terms of graphics, something like the older nvidia 660 needs a minimum of 450 watts which would max out your current PSU.

Last edited:
There aren't the savings that there used to be with shop vs home build.

It's good to get the experience of doing it yourself but maybe you should try and source a bit better.
Personally I think what you've ended up with is a bit expensive.
My own opinion and not knocking you.

There aren't the savings that there used to be with shop vs home build.

It's good to get the experience of doing it yourself but maybe you should try and source a bit better.
Personally I think what you've ended up with is a bit expensive.
My own opinion and not knocking you.
It's quite rewarding to put your first PC together though (pressssss..... BEEP! - They don't do that any more :(), and get it to boot (used to be a bit of a pain as I alluded to in my earlier post :). Even had to borrow a CPU from a shop to flash the BIOS on one board to support the chip I had). Choosing and sourcing parts is the most time consuming bit but it can be interesting and there are lots of knowledgeable people on DW to ask.

My first self-built PC was (and I still have it, somewhere) a PII400 CPU with Abit MB and a Matrox graphics card, had a Lucent Technologies 56k modem in there too. A colleague asked me what I was going to fill the 10.2GB HDD with...

I remember going to a computer show in Llandudno around 1995, 4MB of ram cost £80.

And don't forget...

1z6zbk1.jpg

I didn't mean my first post to be condescending or belittling you tlogic, it's a good feeling on that first boot knowing it's all your own work and well done on the build.

Last edited:
I agree that building your own pc can be very rewarding and also frustrating at times when things don't go according to plan!

However, nowadays there are definitely not the savings there used to be.

My last 'build' many years ago was to be centered around a Q8800 quad core LGA775 socket processor in a Gigabyte mobo, 2Tb HD 4Gb RAM Arctic Pro cooler, Thermaltake psu, Lightscribe DVD writer etc all housed in a nice Thermaltake Soprano case with extra fans and lights!
I priced up all the components then found a company on fleabay who built the pc to my exact specifications and delivered it for £100 less than I could build it!
It is now in the loft lol it sounds like an aircraft taking off with all the fans to keep it cool.

Back