New member looking for advice on receivers.

cdy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi guys, I used to use a Starview cable box, I think it was SV 4, until the N3 change-over in my area. For the past 12 months I've been a subscription-paying cable customer! Anyway, I was at a colleagues house recently and I was surprised to discover that he's receiving all the channels I used to receive on my SV 4 prior to N3 and, in addition, he's getting broadband too! I asked him what box he's using and he advised: "a KryptView". I'm not familiar with Krytview having previosuly used SV 2 and SV 4 .I honestly didn't think it was possible to receive cable since the N3 change-over unless through VM. I still can't understand how my colleague is receiving it, and getting broadband as well! In fact, to be honest, I thought he winding me up, but he insists it is possible in the N3 world! I've been looking into the possibilities over the past week or so, which is how I came across this very useful forum, but I'm still confused. (I've read the stickies and a variety of threads.)
Anyway, guys, I'm here to learn, and hopefully I'll be able to contribute something eventually!

CDY

the kryptview a780 is the box you will want, cost approx £140 ,ita very easy box to set up, you install firmware once then software update via remote. it works through ethernet cable from router to box and the signal comes from the kryptview servers.have a good read in this section before you go any further as there has been a lot of server issues,stability, etc with k/v servers recently,for the first 6 month it was well supported ,then they were busted and had to move the servers,since then its been hit and miss with transponders going off ,glitching etc, its your choice mate

i would have said signal comes from tv provider from coaxial cable and as the box has a lan connection decrypts from their place,yes hit and miss at the moment as 52 channels have vanished but will be back soon hopefully,other boxes working are starview 6 and 7 and ddigital duo but would not go for them as they are now as we say a payview box ,your buy the box,flash it register it and pay money to view,how many channels? glitching? how long.starview have their own support forum as we cannot talk about ,read some of the starview threads for more info.remember all boxes now need a lan to work.

dont touch the starview, poor support ,if you know the difference between a ethernet and and a lan connection , you have worked it out

Thanks for the replies, guys. Very useful info provided.
As I wrote in the original post, the guy who advised me about the possibility of receiving cable following the N3 change-over also mentioned that he receives subscription-free broadband. Is that something that's possible with a Kryptview box?
Regarding Starview, I wasn't particulalry a fan when I had the SV 3 and SV 4 boxes. I often had trouble with the boxes, particularly the SV 4.
I'll look into Krypview boxes in more detail.
Thanks again.

Last edited:
you need a signal coming into house, what i did was go from medium package to freeview [no charge] on tv package .
then put a splitter on with k/v box in one room and v/m box in other room,its handy for the i player,

That's what I used to do when I had my SV 4 box pre-N3. I think the bloke I know who claims to have no subscription is telling me pork-pies! I'm keen to learn more about the Kryptview box because my VM subscription is almost up. The one thing I will miss, I suppose, will be the option to record programmes I'm not watching. I use that feature bof the VM+ box a lot!

tryf2 - when you say you went from Medium to Freeview do you mean that essentially you just pay for VM for broadband/landline?

i recently got my vm broadband/phoneline fitted,just plugged the kv in and all working fine no need to subscribe to any tv package.

one may not know the signal strength you get as it varies from place to place,if its strong enough you should be ok to scan in all the channels.

yes cdy, i was on a package and downgraded to free view, but if your a new customer do what prem said and go for that package

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll keep researching and see if I can find a reputable source for a KryptView.
On the other hand, maybe satellite is the way to go!

tryf2 - when you say you went from Medium to Freeview do you mean that essentially you just pay for VM for broadband/landline?

there's a slight difference.

i had V+ XL, BB and phone package. i wanted to save money so wanted rid of the TV completely (my telly has Freeview HD + internet connected) They said it would be MORE expensive if i did that rather than just cut down to the Freeview package. typical VM. So, i did that, kept the box+freeview package but disconnected it & stuck it in the garage.

I'm on the same package now. I believe my contact expired end of August so I'm just on a monthly rolling basis right now.
When you reduced you package, ManofScience, did VM request you to return the V+ box, and replace it with a standard box? Having an HDD facility is the thing I will miss most if I do decide to get a KryptView box.

No, i kept the V+ box i'd been using, just cut to freeview only channels - then put it away. you'll lose the + service anyway or pay a fiver a month i think it is. at first, i missed the recording facility but after a while it doesn't bother me.

Any recent problems with the boxes, guys? My VM subscription just expired so I'm free now to get mine hooked up!

Any recent problems with the boxes, guys? My VM subscription just expired so I'm free now to get mine hooked up!

Constant problems with certain channels coming and going. I would say however the sports channels and movie channels are ok 90 % of the time.

mate i would honestly say these boxes are shit but as clune says the sports and movies are fine on mine except sports4/news,if you have options id defo go sky.

cheers.

Sky it is, I think, then! The only prob I have with Sky is the process seems so bloody complicated! I'm trying to learn as much as possible over on the Satellite forum. Maybe I'll keep VM for another month on a rolling basis before I fully cancel. See what I can learn in that time and try to get myself a dish/dreambox etc.
Cheers for all the replies, guys.

Sky it is, I think, then! The only prob I have with Sky is the process seems so bloody complicated! I'm trying to learn as much as possible over on the Satellite forum. Maybe I'll keep VM for another month on a rolling basis before I fully cancel. See what I can learn in that time and try to get myself a dish/dreambox etc.
Cheers for all the replies, guys.

Actually, youll be suprised as to how easy it is It just looks complicated from an outsiders view.

Popular boxes youll be interested in are,
dm500s - entry level linux box, Approx. £50 (a linux box will give you more flexiblity than a closed source box)
dm800HD - Middle of range box. HD and PVR facilities, again a Linux box. Approx. £150
Or Openbox S10 - not a linux based box, but does HD and PVR, and also is cheap. Approx. £60

If you have the budget, then get a dm800hd, otherwise its between a S10 or a dm500s.

Then all you need to find is a decent server. a year will cost you about £50-£80 for a year.

Go sat if possible, otherwise your stuck between a KV or SV. And atm KV is Shite, Apparently SV is good atm, but id still go satellite if you can.

Back