my new built pc isnt working

spec
asus p5q deluxe
intel core 2 extreme qx6850 - 8 months old
4 gig ddr2 1066 ram
hitachi 500 gig sata
pioneer sata dvd rw
nvidia 7200 gs

There is no beeping noise when turning it on(which is a good sign), i hear the hard drive going but on my monitor its displaying "no video input" i bought a cheap nvidia 7200gs (only bought it to test the cpu as shops wanted to charge the same price as the card to check it themselfs.

The graphics card is of course pci-e ive tried the universal pcie slot and the v2.0 x16 slots but it still not displaying nothing on my monitor. I am using the vga port and not the dvi as i have no lead.

Do you think the machine is actually booting up or could it be somthing else?

thanks

hi all

my new built pc isnt working

spec
asus p5q deluxe
intel core 2 extreme qx6850 - 8 months old
4 gig ddr2 1066 ram
hitachi 500 gig sata
pioneer sata dvd rw
nvidia 7200 gs

There is no beeping noise when turning it on(which is a good sign), i hear the hard drive going but on my monitor its displaying "no video input" i bought a cheap nvidia 7200gs (only bought it to test the cpu as shops wanted to charge the same price as the card to check it themselfs.

The graphics card is of course pci-e ive tried the universal pcie slot and the v2.0 x16 slots but it still not displaying nothing on my monitor. I am using the vga port and not the dvi as i have no lead.

Do you think the machine is actually booting up or could it be somthing else?

thanks

I don't think the PC is booting as there is no post beep

As Purity says there should be a single short beep. Some boards have LEDs to indicate POST problems, check the manual.

Make sure your monitor is on the VGA channel as many don't detect or switch to the channel which has the signal.

Remove everything apart from the CPU+HSF, 1 stick of RAM and the graphics card (as there is no onboard gfx). Does the machine boot?

If it does slowly add in components, starting with the other sticks of RAM.

If not re-seat the graphics card and try again. If that fails swap the RAM stick.

I'll have a little read of the manual when I get home from work to see if there should be an LED on the motherboard (my ASUS P5K does), and what it indicates as I forget if it indicates power or that the PCI devices are seated correctly.

Last edited:
make sure you connect ALL the cables that came with graphics card and motherboard, there may be a little cable you need to plug in somewhere. i had the same thing and noticed a small cable not plugged in, after that i got monitor display

1.) Check the seating of heatsink, ensure stability and it is on the CPU.
2.) Ensure power supply generates enough power, and that it's functioning.
3.) Check cable connections for connectivity and for anything burnt.
4.) Ensure nothing is shorting the board on the backside and such. (Screws could fall down there and no one would know.) When you screwed the mobo to the case you should have used these little seperators over the screws so that the mob doesnt actually short on the case.

Hate to say it but shorting the board is a high possibility, if thats happened then its not good.

what i will do is disconnect everything apart from the cpu and heatsinkand try it outise of the casing 1 at a time, ill let you know

Take everything off i.e. CPU, RAM, drives, just leave the PSU connected to the mobo. Try to boot, anything? If not you've either a dead mobo or a dead PSU.

Brain storm question: You do have the power switch and reset switch the correct way round don't you? I've come across more than one case that have had the connections labeled wrong. Trace the wire from the front panel or short the power pins with a screw driver (being careful not to short anything else on the board).

it does turn on with the power switch plus theres buttons on the motherboard for power and reset anyway.

should there be a beep even if the graphics card isnt working?

Take everything off i.e. CPU, RAM, drives, just leave the PSU connected to the mobo. Try to boot, anything? If not you've either a dead mobo or a dead PSU.

Brain storm question: You do have the power switch and reset switch the correct way round don't you? I've come across more than one case that have had the connections labeled wrong. Trace the wire from the front panel or short the power pins with a screw driver (being careful not to short anything else on the board).

Most do, but I'll check the online manual like I said I would.

It could be as simple as no built in pc speaker, in which case connecting a case speaker would be needed to hear the beep codes.

Last edited:
just checked the manual and did a test, if i remove the memory the manual says there should be a continous beep followed by 2 short beeps then a pause then repeat but it was just quiet.

the cpu fan is going, i can hear the hard drive on boot up and the psu is lit up and the fan is going, the lights are on (reset and standby buttons on the mother board so power is going to it and the dvd etc powered)

im am lost

There are 2 power connectors on most boards now, the 20/24pin ATX connector and a separate 4/8pin 12v connector. (See attached image taken from the manual.)

You need to connect both, all the PSUs I've seen in the last 2 years have had the extra 12v connector.

If yours doesn't have this connector replace it. The manual states you need a PSU compliant with ATX12V v2 and at least 400W. If you're sticking with the 7300GS grab the Corsair VX 450W, OCZ StealthXStream 500w or Enermax Pro 82+ 425W EPR425AWT.

If you intend throwing a high end graphics card or two in there use an online calculator to workout roughly what you'll need and stick to branded PSUs (esp the three brands above).

Last edited:
the psu i have is a ocz gameXstream its new and is 1010watts

theres the 20 pin which is attatched to an extra 4 pins which i put in together, the only other power connectors that are there are the pci-e 1 and 2 and 2 x 4 pin labelled cpu 1 and cpu 2?

Last edited:
The 2x4pin connectors labelled cpu1+2 are what you need to put in the 8pin socket labelled A on the diagram in post 16.

Don't force them, they'll only fit in one way and if there is a clip on the 'plug' it should help with orientation as there is a lip on the same side on the socket:

8pin.jpg

(pin one left labelled for orientaion with the pic in post 16)

theres only a 4 pin on display theres a black clip on the other 4 should i remove it and plug them both in?

can this solve it, ill wait for a reply before i do it.

can they go in any order

Back