Hardware New laptop

MH

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
The father in law is in the market for a laptop to replace his desktop.
He is looking for something that will have some longevity, decent battery and something that will not grind to a halt after 2 years.

Not sure in his budget yet, but obviously not stupidly expensive.

MH, without a guideline price and level of use this is difficult. If it's just for internet, email and mickeysofts office programs of word excel, then anything with a i5 processor generation 4 (haswell chipset), 4GB minimum of Ram would do I suppose. So £450 upwards.
If he has bigger requirements and wants from the laptop then I'd suggest a Dell XPS, light, slim, built well, i7 processor, 16GB Ram, 2GB graphics card, hybrid hard drive, touch screen and excellent battery life, but someting like this would set you back £1,200

If you start of with something like this, what things would you want to change,

Asus X550CC Laptop - Laptops at Ebuyer

Just had a quick look at the above, it is a generation 3 processor - personally I'd try and stick with the i5 4xxxx (generation 4) as this has better power saving built into the chip.
Have used Asus laptops, only gripe is the mouse/touch pad, it has to many features like a pinch/zoom etc. I think you can disable this in the control panel of windoze.

IMHO laptops don't last most will have battery ,charger port or overheating problems after a couple of years . there not built to last now and even the higher end machines are not much better built

IMHO laptops don't last most will have battery ,charger port or overheating problems after a couple of years . there not built to last now and even the higher end machines are not much better built
I disagree there, I have a Dell from work and the battery will last 2+ hours easily.

I disagree there, I have a Dell from work and the battery will last 2+ hours easily.

I have to agree with you here @MH, a lot probably depends on how the machine is looked after. I am a bit of a hoarder, so I still have my first ever laptop (an Acer netbook, about 5yo) and although it's now semi-retired, its battery, charger port etc. are still fine. I have an even older Fujitsu Siemens (7?) which I 'inherited' from the other half- quite an austere looking thing, but I have it set up in the workshop, it seldom gets shut down and apart from occasional Windoze Vista issues, it is still good. Even the battery still holds a decent charge. Both the above were used mainly for sofa-surfing, but I kept a ceramic tile underneath to allow air to circulate and it seems to have paid dividends. (This was before the lays of £5 laptop coolers!).

Back