New enigma 2 reciever ? which one ?

goldeneagle1

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a new hd sat box but really not sure whether now is the right time to buy. Are there any new idea's on the horizon ?

there are a few boxes i like , dm800 se a8p clone, vu duo clone & the vu solo 2(the specs on the solo 2 seem above & beyond any other box). there are probably a few more boxes that could be contenders.

Ideally want a box that has good support,records , runs plugins without hassle & can act as a server.

I currently have a spiderbox 9000 & cant fault picture quality but it can be fussy with sea lions. Also have a few other boxes(trusty tm 600 is main backup).

Looking for recomendations with pro's n cons.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk 2

Thought there would be more interest in this thread. Does the vu solo2 have good support. Seems like it has really good specs that are way above all the other boxes. Also are there clones of the solo2. originals seem to be about the £300 mark. Which i dont think is bad for the specs. Not really heard much on the forum about how good or bad they are.

If you want Image support then there is nothing to touch the 800se for variety of images and most of the popular plugins work on it no problem, as for your other question you could get a cheap DM500s for around £35 that will do what you want and happily sit in a cupboard somewhere doing it for you.

I was leaning towards the dm800se as it seems well supported & stable.the vu duo clone has its issues with build quality & psu problems. Then there's the vu solo2 which looking at the specs looks unbeatable but there don't seem much talk about it. I thought people would be raving about how fast it was but there's very little chat about it.

I have one but i would not say its Blisteringly Fast, It may have increased speed on Bootup and you can scan through channels faster but it does exactly the same as every other E2 receiver i have owned

Just suprises me that such a high spec machine is not creating a massive buzz. On paper its the best by a long way (& twin tuner which most people want these days)but maybe everyone is waiting for the vu duo2 to be released.

I run the technomate TM-Twin OE, plenty of support on here and a belting box that does everything and more that I need it to do, as for sea lions tried them and binned em, terrible support and useless servers

@wiz569 yeah i know n read them but was hoping members with the mentioned boxes would give the up n downs they have had & see if anyone knows of any new devolpements for upcoming boxes(like boxes running xbmc ).also more info on the solo2 as there's not been much posted about how it performs.

@nipperlocko I know what you mean about sea lions but its just a case of finding the right one(especially if you have a motorised dish). As far as the box i want is concerned, i want it to be opensource really so that it gets good support.

Last edited:
@wiz569 yeah i know n read them but was hoping members with the mentioned boxes would give the up n downs they have had & see if anyone knows of any new devolpements for upcoming boxes(like boxes running xbmc ).also more info on the solo2 as there's not been much posted about how it performs.

That's OK then m8,
I wouldn't like you to think we were deliberately ignoring you :)

Was there not some teething problems with the solo2? I have no experience of them but they do seem like a really good box

imo ...

if you only need one tuner then the DM800se clone
If you need 2 tuners but only really need to watch tv and get epg (not streaming / plugins etc) then the Technomate TM2t is good value with VIX image available (among others)
If you want 2 tuners and all the bells and whistles then the solo2 with VIX & Blackhole images available (among others)

Was there not some teething problems with the solo2? I have no experience of them but they do seem like a really good box

The main thing I found I had issues with was not being able to watch a $$$ recording while it was still recording. There has been a good few driver updates since release and this is now solved.

There were problems at first with the solo2 but they have been sorted. It just makes me wonder why everyone isn't raving about them. The specs seem way above anything around but there don't seem much interest in them.

Some will be waiting for the Duo2. Others will already have bought a Gigablue quad. That takes them out of the equation. I don't really use it for much other than TV but it is defo quicker and you get the spinner MUCH less. The only time I ever see it now is using the icefilms plugin.

Nice to hear from someone using the solo2. It really does tick all the boxes but I still cant understand why its not more popular.

Nice to hear from someone using the solo2. It really does tick all the boxes but I still cant understand why its not more popular.

price!!,regards mdt

Just a quick scan on net gets the solo2 for £310 delivered

Look further down the Google results and you will find somewhere at £299 :)

Or there's amazon.de at €329 ;)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

There is a uk site that sells the Vu+ Solo 2 for £245 inclusive of vat (waeplus), but unless you live in their immediate vicinity are you going to risk ordering one? Good test for your credit card provider if nothing else ;)

Back