New DS XL, which cart?

HappyH

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
We've got 2 DS lites & a DSi in the house with a variety of flashcarts in them for games. My missus treated herself (birthday money) to a new DS XL & I'm wondering what's the best cart to go for? Tried the TTDS exactly as it is from her DS lite but no-go. Got x2 TTDS's, x1 TTDSi & Acekard 2i here that we don't use (not 100% sure they work) but if I know which ones should work with the correct firmware it would obviously be a decent start.
Ideally I'd like to save some cash & get one of the ones we have working in her XL with the correct firmware, if not we'll buy a new one.
Cheers for any advice,
HH.

Acekard 2iwill work ........just of ta bed,nipper has one in her ds xl...............

Thanks for the tip mate, Cheers.

Updated the Acekard 2i on one of the DSlites & put 3 games on (as per THIS). Works ok on the DS lite it was updated on (shows up as Danny Phantom Urban jungle etc & the games play ok but get 'An error has occured etc' on the XL. XL is on Ver 1.4.1E, using a 4gb micro SD card that was formatted with Panasonic SD formatter. Maybe the Acekard 2i I have is faulty though? it's been lying around for a while & not sure if it's working (does work in the DS lite though??)
Any further advice appreciated.
HH.

Ta much for reply but still same even with the firmware from your link mate. Every time I do one of these cards it's a pain in the ass to get working, never easy for me. Gonna leave it for now & have another bash tomorrow (well today actually). Still same error on the XL.
Cheers HH.

Cheers for that Bro, still no-go though. Tried updating the acekard 2i in both DS lites & the DSi I have access to (used diff update files ak2ifw_update_14_DSi & ak2ifw_update_14_DSL) formatting micro SD card in between. Tried AKAIO 1.8.9 & 1.9.0 but always get the same error when card plugged in to the DS XL, starting to think maybe the Acekard 2i is faulty?
HH.

are you leaving the _aio folder on the root of your sd card and also the akmenu4.nds file as you need to,,,,,just wondering

are you leaving the _aio folder on the root of your sd card and also the akmenu4.nds file as you need to,,,,,just wondering
Yip, pretty sure that's the way I did it with the previous Acekards I set up for family?
The wee fella's DS lite has an Acekard 2i in it that works & also works in a DSi, should it work without doing anything to it in the DS XL?
Thanks again for the advice.
HH.

edit: not sure if this helps or will muddy the waters but the Acekard 2i I'm trying to set up for the DS XL works fine in the DS lite & the DSi. Guess this means it should work in the XL if I set it up properly????

Last edited:
the xl is just a bigger dsi me thinks so you shouldnt have to do anything to that

check the system software on both the dsi and the dsi xl if both the same then it should work on both
if not the same firmware on both machine thats why it will work on one and not the other.
if you still have problems mate pop it in the post to me and will have a look for you

DSi XL on Ver 1.4.1E
Dsi on Ver 1.4E
DS lite not sure how to tell (but not sure it really matters?)

Thanks for the offer turner brown, I'd probably take you up on it as a last resort but will persevere with it for a while yet mate, Cheers.
Thanks again
HH.

the ds lite cant be firmware updated so you wont be able to tell
you might need to get the older firmware to update the card to 1.41 first before updating it to 1.44

Thanks mate, that did the trick, cart now works in the DSi XL. Not going to update to 1.44 yet as it worked immediately after your suggestion of updating to 1.41 first. Can always update it later if there's issues.
Thanks again it's appreciated (rep added)
Cheers HH.

you need to update the card itself.

you are confusing the card firmware with the card loader (AKAIO firmware).

what you need to do:

1: download latest acekard update file
acekard update for sdi 1.4.4 and 3ds v4.2 - Downloads - Digital World Forums

there will be two .nds files inside; one for updating on a dslite and one for updating ina dsi/3ds.

as the cards works on your dslite, put the dslite file on sd card along with the akaio firmware.

then power up the machine and look for the update file (it will be listed with the games)

select the file and follow the onscreen instructions.

after the update has been done, the icon will change from danny phanton to an old tennis game (cant remeber the name of it lol)

have a look at this thread.
https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/285127/#post2093683

gives detailed instructions on updating.

sort of follow it but using the newer update file that i linked.. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
buzzer the file you link to will not update an acekard from version 1.4 to 1.44
you need to run the update to 1.41 first and then do the update to 1.44
thats was the problem

i see, didnt know that, also not at home and cant read the thread properly..:)

Back