new 8th generation Pioneer plasma in action

I got one of these recently too,

The 8th Gen screens have brillient picture quality, would definatly recommend it.

Funny enough I have been out today looking at panny's and nearly came home with one of these, The price I was quoted was 2800 for plamsa then the fancy wall mount that means you can ulling out from wall and tilt ect plus installing and a glass table came to around 3400 though it might be a bit much so still thinking.

It did stand out from rest though even with a normal feed to it.

Funny enough I have been out today looking at panny's and nearly came home with one of these, The price I was quoted was 2800 for plamsa then the fancy wall mount that means you can ulling out from wall and tilt ect plus installing and a glass table came to around 3400 though it might be a bit much so still thinking.

It did stand out from rest though even with a normal feed to it.

You can get it for £2235 from here + delivery. Also don't pay over the odds for a wall mount, I payed £15 for mine delivered, and can support up to 50kg, and has tilt etc.

LOL I wasn't going to pay that much but feel in love with the set, lol. Also Just sold my old rs 125 for £1100 so bit of a cash boost in the old pocket ;)

Also the 2800 price was with a 5 year warrenty.

Oh the bracket they had not only allowed the set to move from left to right but came off the wall a good 12 inches or folded back flush, well handy for plugging cables in.

Top of my Head dutcho, 508XD comes with Picture n Picture, usb port for Photos gallery only ( you cant play Mp3s or video), subwoofer connectivity, calibration option (costs anything from 200 to 400 quid on top if you go for it. You may not like the picture this displays and decide to use your own settings .not likely but possible) it also has a feature to do with brightness that automatically adjusts to your lighting and adjusts your set for best Pictutre quality( waste of time IMO) 5080 is the exact same panel with the same video processor and comes with desktop stand. 508 does not come withh stand unless you get a deal like on TLC broadcast website where it comes with a black desktop stand.
question how often would you use PIC in PIC,? I never used it once. how often would you use USB, disks cheap as feck, put photos on a cd and play them through a DVD, subwoofer connectivity? (a lot of people will have an Amp/Receiver) other way if your gona wall mount the TV and buy the 5080 with stand, sell the supplied stand, retail for approx 160, sell on the bay for about £80. My advice unless your a complete videophile buy the cheaper 50" Model,( If thats the size you want ),and sell the stand to finance the cost of a wall mount. Unless you can get a good deal on the 508Xd so the extra features become a bonus and your not paying for something you will hardly use.
Just My Opinion others will no doubt disagree, LOL,

Good luck what ever you decide, If you buy the 8th gen pioneer whatever model you decide you will not be disappointed. One thing I will say if your buying ANY Plasma you risk the chance of screenburn (an image of logo displayed to long and burned into the panel) the new pioneers do seem to have really made improvements on this but time will tell. so far so good with mine. Think Devil and Daz will back me up on this.

Oh nearly forgot the 508Xd come with a really good remote (metal fronted, heavy) the 5080XD remote is similar metal looking front but its plastic like almost every other TV remote on the market. some peeps think the metal one is "sexy," as long as it works the TV, I dont care

Last edited:
how much would you expect these to be say in 12 months.
those shots look stunning been folowing this for a while but 2k is too much for me just now
cheers chronoman

Pioneers seem to hold their Prices pretty much. The last series of Pioneers dropped a couple of 100 last year. The stayed at that until about a week after the new 8Th gen were released, then really dropped in price.

you can pick up the new 42" models 428's or 4280 for anything between 1500 and 1800 now. I expect the 508's will drop when the new Pioneer Full 1080P plasma comes out in September (no Pricing on UK prices yet but heard the will be around 4.5K)

Well if you go to John Lewis they will price match any bricks and moter stores, so you could PM it with AV-Sales
for £2,395 and still get 5 years warranty which JL supply as standard.

Sideysid

dont think they will price match AVsales. The price matching at JOhn Lewis is very picky mate.

John Lewis sell the 508XD with stand and undermount speaker included, so to get a price match you need to find a retailer that is selling the 508XD with these included in the sale and it has to be set up on display and priced in total not as optional extras.

Newcastle JL also sometimes come back and say it has to be a shop within 60 Mile radius to get free delivery inc.

Ive had three TVs off them all price matched and it took a few attemps on each one before I got it in the end.

Definatley still worth doing though for the guarantee and after sales service.

They won't match on line prices I tried. And have you checked into the jl warranty ? It's isnt really all that good.

Why isnt the warranty very Good Dutcho?

I know alot of Guys with have used it and been very satisfied , myself included. Guys that bought the 7th gen Pio's from other sources and wanted a replacemnet/refund have had alot of hassle and some are having to go through the small claims court to try and get their money back or a replacement. Mine was refunded by John lewis without question even after 6 months , Full refund no restockng fee etc, some retailers charge up to 25% and deduct that amount from your refund others 10%.and thats only up to 28days

Also as a good will gesture, they deducted £200 from the cost of the new TV I bought.

I wont go past them Dutch but everybody to there own. There is only one person That I know off that was refused a refund / replacement and that was because apart from Dirty Screen , he also had severe screenburn which is not covered in any warranty by any plasma manufactor.

end of the day Dutch it's your money mate, you have to decide.

Have you decided on what model you want.?

I would say dont buy any Glass stands/ wall mounts from JL as you can get them alot cheaper online.

Good Luck mate and whatever you decide enjoy your new Toy.

By the way JL Guarantee is for mechanical breakdown etc most other probs should be covered under yuo house insurance , storm damage, theft, water damage, child damage : shocked2etc With my little yin I made sure I checked with my insurance and mine is.

Last edited:
LOL, anyways it's a 508xd and it's on the wall, crackin picture, I need to sort wires and get a stand for my box's but just finished putting it on the wall and I'm a happy bunny.

I anit mate, very happy with it and forgot aready about the panny that would of been soo much cheaper. Watching starwars on sly at mo cannot say anything other than brilliant, cheers for all the help and advice I have been stealing :)

Oh got it at global hifi centre, he matched any price I could find and gave a comprehensive warrenty ( which I checked out) free delivery and a wall mount. Don't care if I can find it cheaper now because I'm happy :)

Back