network switch req

easymo3

DW Member +
Reaction score
Guy's I am running cat5e into a few room @1'st fix stage and terminating them all in the loft.

Can I get some idea's please as to a decent network switch that will be able to be screwed to one of the rafter up there.

Price is not important .

Thanks to all.

he mate are you after just like a 8 port Netgear i have 1 does the well
have a look HERE netgear are bad mate

If you are keeping the switch in the loft I would look for a one with a metal case and a fan if possible.

Internal power supply is likely to be more reliable then one with an adaptor, especially if you have a fan.

Make sure its gigabit, no point in buying 100mb unless you are on a real tight budget.

Think about if you need PoE (power over ethernet) for powering things like webcams or VoIP phones

And how many ports do you need ?

If you are keeping the switch in the loft I would look for a one with a metal case and a fan if possible.

Internal power supply is likely to be more reliable then one with an adaptor, especially if you have a fan.

Make sure its gigabit, no point in buying 100mb unless you are on a real tight budget.

Think about if you need PoE (power over ethernet) for powering things like webcams or VoIP phones

And how many ports do you need ?

there will be four port running from the switch, if price is not much difference then I might as well have PoE as well.

yeah, shouldn't get any problems.

The only thing I heard about is that Wake on LAN may potentially not work correctly as switch powers down ports where PC have gone to sleep. But then other people are saying WoL works fine.

HP Procurve gear is a good buy, lifetime warranty on the kit. RMA is pretty effortless as well. I have a 24 port HP Procurve Gigabit switch im supposed to installing at home with a 300m box of cat5e..it's been sitting there for months..havent got around to doing it !

My house is wired up the same way matey - I've got a Netgear 8 port - 10/100/1000 and its never let me down, its in a metal case, no fan so its silent and low power - also got fixing points in the back so it can be wall mounted. I would look at this one or either a D-Link or HP alternative - stay away from brands you ain't heard off :)

Back