Network Problem

yottabit

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Hi there, i've installed leopard OS on my machine, anyway i cant seem to get the internet working i've installed the ethernet drivers but it dont seem to connect to the isp. I'm using a virgin media connection running via a belkin router, heres a pic of what ip i get:

Picture1-1.png

Help greatly appreciated,
Thanks,
Nick.

The 169. 254.254.179 Ip addy, a public addy, that you see is a default put there because your ISP addy is not coming back or not being seen. In windows it is the default that you see when your network card is not being seen or the DHCP is not configuring it properly. Maybe DHCP is not turned on.

Have not used leopard but would assume that you could manualy configure your network card/device to something like 192.168.0.2 and 255.255.255.0 with 192.168.0.1 as the Gateway IP. It looks as though the cofigure drop down list, as shown in your picture, will allow this The internet connection should then have no problem in reaching your ISP. Try that and see if it works and letus know how you get on.

hold your horses - you are never going to see the ISP assinged IP address on your ethernet connection - that address will only ever be given to you by your router (via DHCP) or if you plug one in manually. You will only see the ISP IP address on the admin screens of your router.

Now, things to check:

Does your router have DHCP enabled? I am going to guess that it does. If so, can you find out what range it is in?
What is the IP of your router? You may need this if you are going to set this connection up manually - it will become your default gateway.
Does that subnet mask look right? Most consumer routers use 255.255.255.0 - if you have a windows machine on your network, you can check there.

Now, if you need to you should be able to configure a static IP for this machine regardless of whether or not DHCP is enabled on your router - most consumer routers work from a pool, for instance mine has a pool from 100 to 199. The address you are showing there looks like a privately assigned address, meaning that the router can see your machine but cant set up an IP correctly. There is more evidence to support this due to the fact the panel you are showing is stating it may not be able to connect.

Take a look at your routers admin screens and get back to us.

hold your horses - you are never going to see the ISP assinged IP address on your ethernet connection - that address will only ever be given to you by your router (via DHCP) or if you plug one in manually. You will only see the ISP IP address on the admin screens of your router.

Now, things to check:

Does your router have DHCP enabled? I am going to guess that it does. If so, can you find out what range it is in?
What is the IP of your router? You may need this if you are going to set this connection up manually - it will become your default gateway.
Does that subnet mask look right? Most consumer routers use 255.255.255.0 - if you have a windows machine on your network, you can check there.

Now, if you need to you should be able to configure a static IP for this machine regardless of whether or not DHCP is enabled on your router - most consumer routers work from a pool, for instance mine has a pool from 100 to 199. The address you are showing there looks like a privately assigned address, meaning that the router can see your machine but cant set up an IP correctly. There is more evidence to support this due to the fact the panel you are showing is stating it may not be able to connect.

Take a look at your routers admin screens and get back to us.

Hi mate, the subnet mask is 255.255.0.0 the ip to the router is 192.168.2.1, you can change it manually i have tried with 192.168.2.2 as the ip and 192.168.2.1 as the router and 255.255.255.0 with no success, any ideas? heres a pic of the routers page:

Belkin.jpg

Thanks,
Nick.

The subnetmask on the router is 255.255.255.0 - what is the pool for the DHCP server? You should be able to find this from the LAN setup screen.

Once you have done that, can you try getting to the router from the mac os x machine?

The subnetmask on the router is 255.255.255.0 - what is the pool for the DHCP server? You should be able to find this from the LAN setup screen.

Once you have done that, can you try getting to the router from the mac os x machine?

Heres a pic mate:

Belkin1.jpg

Should i choose manual with DCHP server from the drop down list on leopard? or another option from the drop down list? if so what settings shall i put there?
Thanks,
Nick.

no, leave your DHCP server on - otherwise your going to have to reconfigure all of your other connected devices.

The last useable address in your DHCP pool is 192.168.2.100 - so configure your mac os x machine to have an address of 192.168.2.101 and chose static (or whatever there is on the mac's drop down to be something other than 'Using DHCP').

Set your DNS address to 194.168.4.100 and your search domain to 192.168.2.1. Once you have done this, try pinging it from your windows machine by going to start - run - cmd - enter - ping 192.168.2.101.

Let us know what happens

Right mate i done the following:

Picture1-2.png

Tried the internet but still no connection, so i pinged the ip like you said and all i got was:

Ping.jpg

any ideas,
Thanks,
Nick.

Odd question, is this a new router?

The reason I ask is I tried setting my sister's belkin router up from new without using the supplied disc - like I'd been able to do with my parent's ADSL modem/router - ended up faffing about for a good half hour. Put the disc in and it was set up in about 2 minutes. It didn't install any software, just set up the router.

If the router setup software is not OSX compatible and you've no windows machine either VMware (trial available from http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/) or BartPE should sort you out.

Worth noting that 2 days later I was back because it had 'lost' its settings and I had to do it all over again. I've now got the config file saved locally and suggest you do the same for quickness should you have to resetup the router. NB I've actually concluded that my sister used the reset button on the router rather than power cycling the modem when she couldn't connect to the net.

If its an existing router its still possible that its forgotten its settings.

Odd question, is this a new router?

The reason I ask is I tried setting my sister's belkin router up from new without using the supplied disc - like I'd been able to do with my parent's ADSL modem/router - ended up faffing about for a good half hour. Put the disc in and it was set up in about 2 minutes. It didn't install any software, just set up the router.

If the router setup software is not OSX compatible and you've no windows machine either VMware (trial available from http://www.vmware.com/products/fusion/) or BartPE should sort you out.

Worth noting that 2 days later I was back because it had 'lost' its settings and I had to do it all over again. I've now got the config file saved locally and suggest you do the same for quickness should you have to resetup the router. NB I've actually concluded that my sister used the reset button on the router rather than power cycling the modem when she couldn't connect to the net.

If its an existing router its still possible that its forgotten its settings.

Nope its not a new router mate, i'll try reseting the modem again see if that helps., is there a firmware update that supports OSX for the belkin 54g?

i dont know how to do it from a mac, but can you ping the router from there? Or get to the router admin page at all?

Nope cant ping the router from the mac nor get into the routers page, if i put it on auto dchp it configures itself just with an abnormal ip like the one posted above.

Thanks,
Nick.

Last edited:
I know you had problems installing mac os x previously - do you know if the ethernet port drivers are installed correctly? Is it a cable connection? Are you trying to spoof a physical connection over wifi?

I know you had problems installing mac os x previously - do you know if the ethernet port drivers are installed correctly? Is it a cable connection? Are you trying to spoof a physical connection over wifi?

Yepp they are installed properly "forcedeth-nockd.kext" is installed and it sees the ethernet connection, im not trying to spoof the connection over wifi its direct via ethernet,
Thanks,
Nick.

wait, that isnt so clear - is the PC with mac os x on it using a wifi card, or is it wired to your router?

It has onboard lan:
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Driver Vender: NVIDIA
PnpID: {1a3e09be-1e45-494b-9174-d7385b45bbf5}\nvnet_dev03ef

Its using the following driver "forcedeth-nockd.kext" in leopard.
Thanks,
Nick.

from a quick google, looks like you ran into another known problem due to nForce not being compatible...

Do you have another ethernet card to try there at all?

from a quick google, looks like you ran into another known problem due to nForce not being compatible...

Do you have another ethernet card to try there at all?

Not atm mate, if worst comes to worst i'll buy one, could you reccommend one that will work?
Thanks,
Nick.

Back