Needs Help to setup a small office network

hoss6800

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi,

Its been years (over 5 years) since I passed my CCNA and ever since not done anything in networking filed :(
Been asked by a friend to setup a network for 3 ( maybe 5) users and a backup server.
They want all the files to be backed up end of each working day.
what configuration do you recommend? They are on a tight budget, so everything needs to be on cheap side.
I was thinking about a switch and a Terastation ???!!!! not sure if I need a router or not??!! Bear in mind all the users will be sharing their files, so no need to block access at any point in the network
Could you please help me with the structure, then I can workout the settings.....

Thanks in advance

Hossein

I did a similair setup for a chaity, with 3 people accessing files on a Buffalo 1TB NAS drive - and as it had inbuilt security could restrict who could see what. Just created a batch file so when they logged into Windows, it auto mapped the drives.

Router is only needed if you you want to communicate with devices on different subnets/networks. This just looks like a very small single subnet LAN. The only router you might need is if they want internet access via a ADSL or broadband router.

With a LAN this small you you be better off just using static IP addresses for the workstations and server any random small Class C subnet would be fine 192.168.x.x with the standard /24 Mask for class C that gives you 254 possible hosts...overkill for something like this. Even a /28 would be fine with 16 possible hosts.

Thanks guys for your help,

I have already made a list, which is a Buffalo linkstation (2 or 4TB) and one switch two link all PCs and server together. Then I can connect the switch to their ISP router and configure to router so they can Access their file from outside office securly, if needed.
Just waiting for them to make decision and buy the equipments.

Thanks again for your help

Back