Need to tax my car but I've misplaced some docs.

witchy

Banned for good!
Reaction score
My road tax was due yesterday but I couldn't find my V11, nor could I find V5 :(

I normally keep all the documents together in the same folder as my insurance and MOT, but the wife renewed the tax the last time and although she 'swears' she put them back, they are mysteriously not there.

Since I don't have the reminder nor the registration document at hand, will I be able to goto the post office and fill in a V62 form and get my road tax?

I normally do it all online, it's been a while since I did it at a counter.

:)

My road tax was due yesterday but I couldn't find my V11, nor could I find V5 :(

I normally keep all the documents together in the same folder as my insurance and MOT, but the wife renewed the tax the last time and although she 'swears' she put them back, they are mysteriously not there.

Since I don't have the reminder nor the registration document at hand, will I be able to goto the post office and fill in a V62 form and get my road tax?

I normally do it all online, it's been a while since I did it at a counter.

No cahnce Witchy, they always insist on your documents.
Why don't you do it online??

To do it online I need either the V11 reminder or my V5C, those are the missing forms.

I remember when I used to go to the post office to tax my car. If I didn't have the vehicle registration document then I could fill in a form - which was basically an application for the vehicle registration. I filled it in, handed it over with my insurance and MOT and I was allowed to tax my car.

So you're saying that has all been changed? :(

Last edited:
go to the post office & say that you have lost the v5 form so you can get the necessary form to send of for a new one, also bring your mot & your insurance certificate to renew your tax.

im in the same boat m8, and have been told ill have to SORN my car for 20-30 working days untill the v62 form goes through and i get a logbook from them, i also have to pay 25 quid

even though all this with me was down to the dwarf midget little cnut who sold me the car and decided to throw the paperwork away instead of sending it off, but thats a thread for the rant room lol

To do it online I need either the V11 reminder or my V5C, those are the missing forms.

I remember when I used to go to the post office to tax my car. If I didn't have the vehicle registration document then I could fill in a form - which was basically an application for the vehicle registration. I filled it in, handed it over with my insurance and MOT and I was allowed to tax my car.

So you're saying that has all been changed? :(

I think it depends who you get at the post office tbh.
My dad tried a few month back and he came back raging as they wouldn't entertain him.

im in the same boat m8, and have been told ill have to SORN my car for 20-30 working days untill the v62 form goes through and i get a logbook from them, i also have to pay 25 quid

even though all this with me was down to the dwarf midget little cnut who sold me the car and decided to throw the paperwork away instead of sending it off, but thats a thread for the rant room lol

Fooking hell mate.

This is all very different from the last time I went to the post office.

It was a simple filling in of a form, hand over MOT, Insurance and cash and I'd walk out with my Car Tax, the Registration Documents would turn up in the post a few weeks later, but atleast my car was taxed.

go to the post office & say that you have lost the v5 form so you can get the necessary form to send of for a new one, also bring your mot & your insurance certificate to renew your tax.

That's what I remember too mate. No waiting for forms to be sent out, just fill in the application form then and there, hand over MOT, Insurance doc and cash then walk out with my tax.

I'm getting confused now coz some people say I can't do this and you say I can, lol

Just do it on line it's easy

Can't mate, don't have the V11 reminder nor V5.

Found the answer....

To tax your vehicle you’ll need:

A completed V11 reminder or V10 ‘Vehicle licence application’
- I've lost the V11, so I'll need to fill in a V10 Application form.

Your registration certificate (V5C) or New Keeper supplement, if using a V10 - Not got this.

A completed V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate V5C’, if you don’t have a registration certificate - I'll need to fill in this form.

An MOT test certificate (if your car or motorcycle is over three years old) - Got this.

Insurance that covers you against third party claims for death or injury and damage to property caused by using the vehicle. - Got this.

The payment for vehicle tax (not needed if your vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax) - Got this.

So it's basically the same as it has always been.

I'll need to fill in a V10 and V5C, nothing has changed.

Last edited:
digi is spot on witchy.

Taxing without a Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement

If you’re shown as the registered keeper of the vehicle on DVLA records, you can tax in person or by post at your nearest DVLA local office.
You’ll need to complete a V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) which must be accompanied by £25 (fee for a duplicate Registration Certificate). Include this with a completed V10 ‘Vehicle licence application’, MOT, insurance and payment for vehicle tax.
If your address has changed, you’ll need to provide your driving licence, original bank or building society statement or recent utility bill. If your name has changed, you need to provide your marriage certificate, decree nisi, decree absolute or deed poll.
If you’re not shown as the registered keeper on DVLA records you cannot tax the vehicle. You’ll need to apply for a Registration Certificate in your name. To get one, fill in form V62 ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate’ and post to DVLA, Swansea SA99 1DD. You may have to wait up to four weeks for a new certificate to arrive. In the meantime, you should keep your vehicle off the road.

You can download the forms below but you will have to pay the £25 for a new V5c.

How to tax your vehicle without a reminder : Directgov - Motoring

Yes mate, but I have been the registered keep of the car for 4 years, so I'll not need to wait for any forms to arrive and I'll be able to tax the car then and there.

I hope you are right, I just thought it was another way for them to rip us off and charge us £25 to replace the V5C, even though they have the records on their database.

I'll still need to pay the £25 if I can't find my log book, but I'll not need to wait until it arrives before I can tax it as I am the registered keeper.

Your right though, it is a rip-off, all I need is a silly little number yet I need to fill in a form and hand over £25 just to get it.

easyest way to sort this would be to go to your nearest dvla office you dont need to wait for the documents to be replaced they will sort you a tax disc there and then. I Know this is right because i did it two weeks ago.

Why in the name of fkuc can it not be done online?

The DVLA have a record of everything, they know if the car is insured, MOT'd, And who the rightful owner is (according to the log book).

They should be able to pull up all the details from their records and allow you to do the business online without the yearly hassle of pulling the house apart to locate the documents.

I've seen cars clamped around here which have just ran out of tax.
I'm not sure if they've been targetted by the DVLA, or neighbours with a grudge.

I feel your pain m8, hopefully you can get it sorted by the time the PO opens on Monday.

Spoke to my dad tonight Witchy and he said his local post office would not entertain him but when he went to the main p.o in town he eventually got it sorted.
Sorry about that fella..

You will need the log book mate, I went radio rental with them on phone cos i had to buy a replacement one, I tried to play dumb and said i never got mine but didnt work. So i had to pay too.

I got done for no road tax one day too.

Was on way to get road tax but when i got down there i had picked up last years insurance doc and not this years. So as i was going back up road 5 min drive from house, Blues and twos horsing it up my arse. So they pulled me over and the cheeky fucker comes to passenger side door and then tries to pull off the silver tax disc holder. So I slapped his hand out the way and shouted WTF are you doing, dont fckn rip that from the window it needs a wee allen key to open. So he done it again, I then grabbed his hand and say dont fckn do it, i told you already. So he grabbed my docs and told me to get in the back of his car. Then they played good cop bad cop for a bit.

He wrote me a ticket and told me to get and go sort my tax but leave my car there. So I waited till they drove off. Took car home and parked it up. Chap chap at door and guess who there :) Good Cop bad cop. The Bad cop says "So how the car get down here" I replied "The fairys brought it down for me, did you not see them ?" ahah the other guy nearly collapsed, dont think the bad cop was too amused tho.

Last edited:
Back