need help! Got Firmared hack modem and a new MAC but need a config file.

bertybassett

Inactive User
Reaction score
need help! I got Firmare hacked modem and a new MAC but need a config file

I got the modem from feaBay, it has SIGMA X2 Build 13.5 already loaded.

I've been to my cousin's house in a different UBR and wrote down his MAC code. He is only on 2Mb but for test that would do.

When I went home I found the modem from feaBay had a config file for a 20Mb mac code. How do I go about getting the correct config file or a 2mb mac? Do I have to go back to my cousin and use ForceDHCP? or can I download a config file from the net or a different friend on another UBR altogether?

Please help, thanx in advance.

Last edited:
Can anyone help.

Sorry if I'm double posting or breaking the rules by not waiting long enough but I got today of work and was hoping to get this done while I'm off work.

Last edited:
Just add the mac to the modem and boot it up.What area are you from/provider?different configs can be added later but get the modem working first.

I got the modem from feaBay, it has SIGMA X2 Build 13.5 already loaded.

I've been to my cousin's house in a different UBR and wrote down his MAC code. He is only on 2Mb but for test that would do.

When I went home I found the modem from feaBay had a config file for a 20Mb mac code. How do I go about getting the correct config file or a 2mb mac? Do I have to go back to my cousin and use ForceDHCP? or can I download a config file from the net or a different friend on another UBR altogether?

Please help, thanx in advance.

Why would u want to slow the modem down to 2mb when it already has a 20mb config setup?!

Just add your mac and enjoy the 20mb.

Why would u want to slow the modem down to 2mb when it already has a 20mb config setup?!

Just add your mac and enjoy the 20mb.

Problem is the MAC is from a 2Mb account does that would mean with the modem currently having a config file for a 20Mb service it will not work?

I would have thought I'd either need a new 20Mb MAC and or 2Mb config file.

I.E. 2Mb MAC and 2MB config file or 20Mb MAC and 20Mb config file.

Can someone let me know if I'm correct.

BTW I already have the 2Mb MAC put on the firmwared modem and I get nothing

the modem needs to set up the modem for ur area eg: ds freq. what area r u in and what the of the 20mb config file that on ther and yes u can use 20mb config with a 2mb mac to get 20mb download speed as a matter of fact u can use any mac with a 20mb config file and get 20mb download speed

Last edited:
I'm in the Gloucester area so I need a config file for Gloucester and the DS Frequency? How do I get those? ForceDHCP?

Won't telewest be able to tell, else why doesn't everyone just change their config file and get faster internet. Surely the config and MAC must match.

Last edited:
I'm in the Gloucester area so I need a config file for Gloucester and the DS Frequency? How do I get those? ForceDHCP?

Won't telewest be able to tell, else why doesn't everyone just change their config file and get faster internet. Surely the config and MAC must match.

Rule 1,you dont mess or modify the modem supplied by them,buy another and play away.

All I've done so far is to put a 2mb mac code onto it. So that should be enough I'll go test it tonight.

the config file for tw is cm-20480-768 stick that in and the mac and also ur tftp ip address where it says tftp ip and click on change on both then reboot the modem and u should be alright give a little while to come online and as long as ur not using ur own mac telewest wont find out and that exactly we been doing

@gentlex it already has cm-20480-768 on it. So it should be good to go I'll test it tonight.

I'm going to use it at a house that has just terminated their cable modem contract.

Last edited:
hi i was wondering if anyone could help me with finding a mac address to work in my area, i have ge ambit 250 with the Infinite firmware but cannot seem to get a mac yet to work, and dont realy get the UBR business, i live in derby and got some macs from nottingham using DHCPforce at my friends house but still no look? any help would be appreaciated!

turned out the mac code i was using of no good. I found a few more and then it started to work no problems.

Hi so how does one get a new mac code, i am not sure what to do i already got a pre flashed from *bay, just need a MAC i guess but how? also i amnot sure what config i should be in virgin is in my area leytonstone i.e. east london???

Hi so how does one get a new mac code, i am not sure what to do i already got a pre flashed from *bay, just need a MAC i guess but how? also i amnot sure what config i should be in virgin is in my area leytonstone i.e. east london???
u u need to get a mac from some who =has a cable modem and also live @ lease 2 miles eg if u know any 1 in like walthamstow, barking or east ham area that has a cable modem u can use ther mac address of ther modem or get them to scan for mac addresses for u using dhcp force and when u do get a mac us this config file cmreg-ntlhm120-bund03.cm to get 20mb

Back