n00b

turnerd

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi, ive jst joined this forum.
after reading about cs for the last few hours, i jst want to clarify a few things...
I am going to buy 2 tm 500's,i would like to share my sub tv pak so i have it in my spair room and my other flat, so am i correct in saying i need to set up one box as a server with the sub card in and the other box as a client? also what files etc do i need for this?

also could you point me to a good reliable site that sells technomate linux receivers?

hope fully somebody can help me

Also which box is better dreambox or technomate?

Thanks
TurnerD

Last edited:
yup thats correct :)

do an ebay serach mate.
tm600 for only 80 quid. (but get them fast, he said he wa going to put the price up soon)

you will need a software such as cccam to read the card and share it.
unfortunately ccccam doesnt work so well with tehconmates atm.

as for which is better?
there is no one answer to that.
technomates are certainly cheaper and might perform slightly better than their dreambox equivalents but they don't have the support that dm's have.

the tm500/600 also have better audio and video quality than the dm counterparts.

also within the tm's. there is a current widescreen issue's and problems with cccam but these are currently being worked on.

i would recommend you do plenty of reading, google will almost always answer your question.

and welcome to the forum.
CrazyFool

I am going to buy 2 tm 500's,

If I were you I'd go for the clone DM500 instead of the TM500, they are cheaper, more support and have no issues with ccCam.

thanks for your help guys, ill buy 2dream box's, any good sites?

You'll get clone DM500s on eBay for around £50 plus postage.

cheers guys, i will update when i get them and post if i get stuck :(

i've owned neither mate but is it worth paying 10 quid less for a cheap quality clone?

sure, cccam actually works but if that is about to be fixed soon on the tm then i personally would see no reason to go with the clone.

is their much difference in the audio and video quality?

The only thing that might appeal to me about the clone is as a cheap backup and/or if the cccam issue never gets fixed on the tm.

No point in going for the clones mate.

They are almost identical in price, identical in performance but the TM is real and guaranteed, no brainer.

I just wish they were around for this price when I first started buying linux stbs a few years ago

go TM all the way clones are not worth the money you buy cheap you buy twice trust me i have

Dreamboxes all the way.

How can you give an opinion on the dreamboxes when you've never owned one?

hmm after reading this im stuck between then 2.... what has the most support and does the tm work 100 % with sharing? also the epg on tm doesnt seem to be as good as dreambox?

you be the judge about the things that are important to you mate:

dreambox has the most support, more firmware releases and potentially faster fixes when things go down.

both boxes work 100% with card sharing however you have to use newcs as a card reader with the technomate which is a bit more difficult although they said that should be fixed by the end of the month.

no the epg isn't as good on the tm but there is a weekepg plugin that you can download to use with it.

it sounds all a bit grim for the tm but the one thing that is in its favour is that it is not a clone. its a high quality box with high quality components.

on the downside the dm tuner is not very clever which might be problematic in low signal areas.

picture and sound quality is reported to be lower when compared with the tm.

has anybody ever come across a comparison of both boxes in terms of picture quality?

Cheers
/CrazyFool

Dreamboxes all the way.

How can you give an opinion on the dreamboxes when you've never owned one?

ive owned 2 dreamboxes my friend the first one gave up moving the motor on my dish so i lent a tm600 which moved it no worries so in my exprience TM's all the way my 2nd dreambox gave up the ghost with controlling the remote so thats my exprience

Ok.

This isn't a choice between a dm or a tm.

It seems to be a choice between a genuine product and a clone.

Although I do own clones, some have been great others I have just binned, the genuine kit is the better thing everytime.

So if you wanna spend an extra hundred quid on a genuine dm600, then thats what I recommend, but for the price of a tm500/600, nothing better on the market.

you be the judge about the things that are important to you mate:

dreambox has the most support, more firmware releases and potentially faster fixes when things go down.

both boxes work 100% with card sharing however you have to use newcs as a card reader with the technomate which is a bit more difficult although they said that should be fixed by the end of the month.

no the epg isn't as good on the tm but there is a weekepg plugin that you can download to use with it.

it sounds all a bit grim for the tm but the one thing that is in its favour is that it is not a clone. its a high quality box with high quality components.

on the downside the dm tuner is not very clever which might be problematic in low signal areas.

picture and sound quality is reported to be lower when compared with the tm.

has anybody ever come across a comparison of both boxes in terms of picture quality?

Cheers
/CrazyFool

The Dm500's tuner is fine.

The picture quality is excellent.

Where is the reported comparisons that state that the TM has better audio and picture?

The Dm500's tuner is fine.

The picture quality is excellent.

Where is the reported comparisons that state that the TM has better audio and picture?

i too am looking for these comparisons.
have read it in more than one forum that the picture quality on the tm's is superior.

I can only vouch for the DM500 clones, they are exceptional these days, and personally speaking I've never had a bad clone since they first started appearing.

As for the clone DM800, well the least said about that box of shit the better :)

I like a box that I can play with. The Dreamboxes are IMO far more fun if you like to tinker with things and change images just for the sake of it, the range of images and different addons to play with is astonishing.

It really all depends on what you want to do with the box I suppose.

If you are worried that you may be buying an inferior quality product when buying a clone then go for the Technomate, if you want the best support, lots of choice of images and enjoy tinkering then the Dreambox can't be beaten.

Reminder, I am only talking about the DM500 clones.

I have gotten into this hobby over the last few months and in that time i have had 2 DM500s clones directly from china, and i have had 4 TM600's. The DM's i got worked fine except nither would boot with the sat cable connected, if you removed the cable while booting it would boot fine then after bootup they were cool to connect the sat cable and all was fine. The pic quality on the DM500's was horrible, if you looked closely at the screen the picture was very blocky, this is noticable alot on the channel logos as they are static images so you can see how blocky they are. There is nothing wrong with the sound quality. I also found the remote poor unless it is pointed directly at the box. They also look shite with them being so small and the remote is tiny like a toy, they also only have 1 scart.

The TM600's have a much better picture, 120% better. And are overall a much better box, the C/S side of things works fine if you are only using it to receive a share just dosn't like to read our white cards. The PVR functions however are shite and the EPG dosn't work (don't work on DM's either they are both about the same) Week EPG works well although the program list shows the whole day for the selected channel rather than a list of whats on now on all channels, so you select BBC1 it will show the whole day on BBC1 and nothing else then you select another channel and it will show the whole day for that channel, so to get an overview of whats on you have to select every channel. As i said i have had 4 TM600's, all are only 1-2 weeks old and i think the tuner is dead in one of them already so they are maybe not as reliable as i first thought, but there ia a bad egg in every batch so the fact that 1 of mine only lasted a week matbe just bad look and have no reflection on the TM's in general, i wouldn't write off any electronic item because 1 unit failed in the first week. Also it is said that the DM has better image support but most DM images have been ported to work on TM's anyway. And all are available on this forum.

Overall i am much happier with my TM's than my DM's, so if i was to reccomend a box to anyone i would reccomend the TM's. I also ordered a DM8000 on friday from lavatronics for £889 inc delivery. I will let you all know how that performs when it arrives, hopefully it won't have the blocky picture of the DM500's, it is a genuine DM8000 not a clone so i am hoping it will be a top box with no problems.

Does anyone know how the EPG performs on the DM8000 as it is an Enigma2 box and the TM/DM500/600 are both Enigma1. The EPG is the main reason i decided to go for an expensive box, to see if it works propoly.

For more info on the problems i have had with my faulty TM600 see this thread https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/234112/

Regards, Sticky.....

Last edited by a moderator:
hmm well after reading all of this i have gone for dream box, i only done this as it seems support etc is more for them, if they are poor i will sell one and get a tm and see how they are compared to dm, everyones opinion is different i will post my review wen i get up and running thanks for all your help, ps whts the bes image etc for s**? one bx being server and other being client?
thnx again

Nabilosat and Pli Jade 3 images are excellent, but you'll have so many to chose from it's best just to try them all out and see which one you prefer.

As a side note, does anyone know if the TM800 is just a rebadged ITGate? :(

Back