my shoddy roof

hawkish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
My roof is in a right old state - the chimney flashing is coming apart and there has been some sort of collapse at the front - how much do you think this will be to get sorted.

P1080264.JPGP1080266.JPG

top idea mate! I think I will report it to them and see what they say. Would still be interested in any roofers opinion also

Def worth making a buildings insurance claim, esp with the current wind speeds. I had roof probs this time last year. Insurance declined the claim and put it down to the old classic of "wear and tear". I wrote a letter of complaint, which got me noweher, so I escalated the claim and reeived a full settlement. My point is, don't accept there rejection in the firtst instance, if they do indeed reject. Good luck!

prob about 4-5 grand to repair... but get at least 3 quotes...

as long as your insurance dont come round to look at it youll be fine.... if they do come around to check youll be f**ked... justbe carefull... i would get some quotes first justto see how much it will cost you first...

4 - 5 grand :nopity: Im fooked if its that much. does anyone know what this is called or even what part of the roof it is??

Your ridge tiles at the very top look very uneven and may have to be taken off to investigate and re bedded in mortar. Your tiles falling in the gutter could be rotten timber underneath that supports the tiles and new flashing around the chimney. Ratts guess/estimate could be very close mate depending on the roof timbers. As stated get a few quotes.

Couple of things wrong here, are they the original tiles?
They are Redland 49 tiles and I am wondering if the roof has been replaced, if so they are too heavy for the rafters or trusses, need more info, how old is the house, the weight of the tiles in relation to the original roof is a factor, when putting tiles on an old roof (Victorian or plain rafter types) it needs trusses inserted to support the extra weight, the eaves part (the first course of tiles) looks like the gutter has been replaced, was it cast iron or wood, often when replacing a gutter the person doing it doesn't bother to replace the bottom eaves support batten and lets the tiles sit on the edge of the gutter instead, hence the verge tile kicking up to the left edge. going by the picture i don't think its the original roof and is suffering a common sag under the extra weight of the tiles. as a guide these tiles weigh around 3.12 tonne per 1000 Tiles

Your step flashing to the right side looks to have come out of its chase, push it back into the joint and re point, if it's not leaking there's nowt wrong with it, just not the best step and skirt I've seen m8.

Last edited:
Can see insurance getting out of this with small print some where along the lines it not insured for that as some post say about £3500 around that depending who does it

What part of the country are you in, mate? I know a very good roofer. No prob at all passing his details on and asking him to provide a good price by referral if, by some slim chance, we're in the same region/area.

thanks guys, Ive got the insurance guy coming tomorrow to take a look. All the houses in my street seem to have pointy bits at the end of the roof like mine. As far as I can tell its the original tiles (built was 1955) and the other houses in the street have the same type of tiles.

I really hope the insurance dosent squirm out on it as I simply dont have the cash for this :(

Right, insurance surveyer told me I was having a laugh attempting to claim as it was clearly wear and tear so im not covered :(

I have had a quote from a local roofer of to remove the guttering and rotten facia, replace the facia and reinstall guttering, Install new chimney flashing and the Gable end tiles will have to be removed all down that edge along with the ridge tile, (possibly the end two), old cement bed hacked off and then re-bed the end tiles and ridge.

This will have to be done off of the scaffolding and the price includes the hire, labour and materials. Total Price is £670 This is to include ALL labour, materials and rubbish removal and hire charges.

This sounds pretty great to me - what does everyone think?

Almost sounds too good to be true m8,
do they come recommended or owt

Right, insurance surveyer told me I was having a laugh attempting to claim as it was clearly wear and tear so im not covered :(

I have had a quote from a local roofer of to remove the guttering and rotten facia, replace the facia and reinstall guttering, Install new chimney flashing and the Gable end tiles will have to be removed all down that edge along with the ridge tile, (possibly the end two), old cement bed hacked off and then re-bed the end tiles and ridge.

This will have to be done off of the scaffolding and the price includes the hire, labour and materials. Total Price is £670 This is to include ALL labour, materials and rubbish removal and hire charges.

This sounds pretty great to me - what does everyone think?

i though that the insurance man would say that...

seems a very cheap quote to me mate....its £500 just to replace the fascias and guttering down here..

has he got any references for you to go and look at, being local....

Most Roofers want £500.00 just for the scaffolding. It sounds like a good price be careful?. Get more quotes just to be on the safe side and then decide. Good luck

Back