8 September, 2009

Customer Relations
4 Mackintosh Road
Kirkton Campus
LIVINGSTON
EH53 7BW

Dear Sir/Madam,

RE: Account Number

Further to my conversation with Yvette this morning, I am writing to confirm that I wish to cancel my subscription to Sky, and would ask that someone remove the Sky box at a time that is convenient to me.

As explained to Yvette, this is due to the appalling customer service I have experienced with Sky since signing up three weeks ago. When I first contacted Sky, I was told I must place my order through Smyths Satellite and Aerials, which I did. I was told that they would deal with the television installation, and Sky would deal directly with the telephone line and broadband, and that you would be in touch. They took a payment of £69.00 to cover installation of both television and telephone line / broadband. I signed up to the Sky website, and sent a request for information on my order on Friday 21st August.

The television installation went fine, I am very happy with that. The next day, 26th August, I telephoned to find out if there was any progress. I was told the order had not been placed, and I had to contact Smyths. The agent at Smyths told me this happens a lot, and that the order was processed by them, but that it sometimes takes a while to go through Sky as the order has to be processed manually and to give it a few days. Already I was not happy, conscious that there had already been a delay in processing my request. I called back to Sky, and was told there was no order on the system but your agent put my details through, but that if I wanted a faster service I could always ask BT to connect the line. I contacted BT where I found they would charge me £122.50 to connect the line; in other words, I would have to pay BT to do what I had already paid Sky to do! I had no choice but to wait.

Later that morning I received an email stating that my order had been cancelled. Again, I called your customer support and explained my situation with the girl who answered. She put me on hold for a moment and the next thing I new I was talking to Hamza; I was not told I was being transferred and the call was not introduced to Hamza. This action was one to many, and I asked to speak to a manager. He said the problem was with the way my address was input into the system, and while I was on the phone he checked my address and assured me that when Hamza took my order that it would go through this time. I explained that I do some work from home using the internet, and that while I had assumed a couple of weeks off while I moved house, I did not expect to be waiting a month for a service. He said that he understood, and would log details of a complaint to see if some sort of compensation for the trouble I’ve been caused. Hamza offered my three dates for installation (which meant more time off work); 11th, 14th or 15th September, and said that a letter would be sent with the actual date.

By Friday 4th September, no letter had arrived (despite taking into account the Bank Holiday). On checking the Sky website, I saw three cancelled orders but no live orders. Once again, I telephoned Sky. I spoke to Louise, who told me that the orders were indeed cancelled, but that she could not put a new order on because there were so many on the system, and to call back in a week. I told her I was not happy with that; I’d already waited over two weeks to get an order on the system much less an actual phone line. I asked to speak to a manager, but after a wait on hold I was told that the manager would call me back shortly. I offered my office number for a call back, but I don’t think Louise even wrote it down; it was as much as she could do to get me off the phone.

An hour or so later, when no one had called back I called again. I explained that I was expecting a call back shortly and no one had called. Again, I had to wait on hold and was told that someone would call back ‘before the afternoon’. I asked for confirmation that it would be by then, when the timescale was changed to ‘today’. I explained that I was in meetings during the afternoon and did not want someone to call back, be unable to get hold of me and give up (which I was coming to expect from Sky). He took the times I would be unavailable and said that someone would definitely call me back and would make sure they got to speak to me. I am still waiting for that call.

On Friday evening, not having received a call I phoned again, this time from home. As I have no landline because I have been waiting for Sky to call, I had to use my mobile. I spent 19 minutes on the phone; a costly call to have no answer. I was told that it is very unusual for someone from Sky to not call a customer back, and she apologised for that. She said she would get someone called Mark to have a look at my account as it seemed there was still a part-order there that was preventing a new order to go onto the system. She said that he was not in work at that moment, but that either he or she would call back. Again, I am still waiting for that call back.

I have never met with worse customer service, and am horrified by the incompetence and lack of common courtesy I have met with in dealing with your organisation. Not one person wants to take ownership of the problem, to say nothing of the bad manners of not calling back. I have to take time out of my work to make those calls; it is Sky employee’s work that they deal with my call.

I feel thoroughly let down by Sky; I do not wish to deal with you again. If it takes this long just to get something installed, how much worse will it be if there is ever a fault with my equipment? I feel certain that Sky will not care, and will do nothing to rectify any issues; just as is the case now. I will also be actively advising my peers against Sky; given the above I can’t do much else.

I will not take any more time out of my work to deal with Sky. You will organise the collection of your Sky box at a time that suits me. I want my £69 installation fee to be refunded immediately, and I would also like my direct debt payment of £16.50 for the first month to be refunded (it is due out today). Considering the time and money spent on phone calls to your organisation, I believe this is more than fair.

I hope to hear from you as soon as possible to get this matter resolved.

Yours faithfully,

I was told that it is very unusual for someone from Sky to not call a customer back, and she apologised for that.

ive never known ANYONE get a callback from sky

Thing is that this is so common, its a disgrace. Its why people of our nations choose to download programs rather than pay legit for a service. The government should criminalise this kind of service, rather than stopping piracy. Monopoly without customer care created the downloads-generation! Feck 'em, be a pirate.

What else do you expect, the call centre is in Scotland!

;)

Thats the trouble with big companies, once they have got your money they stop caring.

the Sales team will now ring him every week now he's left, trying to get him to stay. ironic.

the Sales team will now ring him every week now he's left, trying to get him to stay. ironic.

I fear the bombardment of letters claiming he has to pay for the 12 month contract.

Dont phone them. If you wish to make contact put it in writing and keep copies. Or email and keep copies.

They are all the same Sky, Virgin, Bt, Gas, Electric dont give a fook.

Back