My Arcade Cab Project 08

Purity

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thought you guys might be interested in the progress of my mame arcade cab project

I've bought an old bookies cabinet with a touchscreen monitor:

View attachment 42078

and ripped out all the wires etc that I didn't need (this took a while :proud: ):

View attachment 42084

next I've attached a new control panel with holes for the controls and buttons, and bolted this to the cab. I made a bit of a mess with the holes around the joysticks but manage to hide that with cup washers:

View attachment 42079

View attachment 42080

Last edited:
so far I've only added the switches to the joysticks, the buttons switches still need attaching:

View attachment 42085

so this is what the full cab now looks like:

View attachment 42086

View attachment 42087

needs a good clean but looking a lot better than the original.

so i've just got to do the following:

1) add button switches
2) wire controls to PC with an arcade control
3) add PC and configure
4) add additional buttons for credit, p1, p2 etc
5) cover coin slots with plastic sheets

but I hope you agree that it's getting there :)

Last edited:
maybe a dumb ass question but wot is going to be the end result and wot ( apart from the learning ) is the idea behind it

no insult ment but it seems a lot of work to me

maybe a dumb ass question but wot is going to be the end result and wot ( apart from the learning ) is the idea behind it

The end result is primarily an arcade machine (with the backend driven by mame) and secondary a touchscreen video jukebox.

Have you seen how much these sell for on ebay! lol

looking good.

i will be round to see it when it's finished m8.

ps, did you take these photo's in the future 2072 lol

I should mention that I eventually want to restore proper arcade machines, and I think that this is a good starting point

I think it looks smart m8!!!!!!
It looks more interesting and more fun than my decorating project!!
What games will you eventually run on it??

Curly

omfg curly can decorate lol only jokin m8

@ purity looks well and good luck in your venture wish i had that sort of no how

I think it looks smart m8!!!!!!
It looks more interesting and more fun than my decorating project!!
What games will you eventually run on it??

Curly

Cheers fella for the positive feedback

I hate decorating with a passion lol

I'm planning to run most of the vertical mame games on it that run under MAME 0.123u6, so classics like Mr.Do, Asteroids, 1942, Double Dragon etc

h**p://www.mameworld.net/maws/gamelist.txt

Crikey!!!!
I hadn't realised so many games were possible to play like this!!!

The juke box is a good idea too.
What a talking point at parties!! ;)

Curly

Yeah I found a freeware jukebox that works with the touchscreen monitor:

h**p://www.dwjukebox.com/

View attachment 42090

so it's gonna be setup like and old Wurlitzer Jukebox. You touch the song on screen and it plays. If I hook this up to some speakers in the house that would be excellent. Hopefully I can get it to play music videos on the screen aswell and output the sound again to the speakers

should make a nice addition to a games room

Last edited:
This is a geat idea ! I might have to look into this myself. Love the idea of the touchscreen monitor mate.

Ive dreamed about this for years i was gona use a xbox1 with mame on it as its cheaper than a pc but with a pc u can update it more.........some day i hope to start i love your set up it rocks :)

The cab is almost complete now.

....so going through my to do list:

1) add button switches - done
2) wire controls to PC with an arcade control - done
3) add PC and configure - done
4) add additional buttons for credit, p1, p2 etc done
5) cover coin slots with plastic sheets -done

4 and 5 were a bit of a pain in the arse as the original perspex on the cab snapped when i tried to drill into it, so I found a local sign shop that cut some red perspex for me and drilled without any problems. A big thanks to Highlander who lent me some hole drill bits.

I'm missing a couple of button nuts, but apart from that it's done and is now sitting happily in my conservatory as you can see:

This is the full view of the cab:

View attachment 41137

Top half of the cab:

View attachment 41138

The cab playing a laser disk game - Dragons Lair 2:

View attachment 41139

and one of my favourites Mr.Do:

View attachment 41140

when i seen this machine it was only half done and wires everywhere lol.

you have done very well m8, and my lad can't wait to play on it.

Nice one mate, you beat me, think ive got about 2 weeks left on mine. Daphne is still being a pain in the arse. Might see if i can get nullDC up and running on it aswell for some dreamcast games :)
On a plus side, ive convinced the misses that the cab should live in the dinning room and we should move the dinning table into the conservatory.

Nice one mate, you beat me, think ive got about 2 weeks left on mine. Daphne is still being a pain in the arse. Might see if i can get nullDC up and running on it aswell for some dreamcast games :)
On a plus side, ive convinced the misses that the cab should live in the dinning room and we should move the dinning table into the conservatory.

I can help you if you want fella. What's the problem with Daphne?

well, ive tried that many versions of it now and each seems to have a different problem lol. I dont know if its because im running xp64. Got loads of different mpeg sets but they all still seem to give me errors lol. Ive even now downloaded daphne 1.0 beta and im waiting for 'Dragon's Lair 20th Anniversary Special Edition' to be delivered as it now says it will rip it for you if you have the discs. Im only really interested in playing Dragon's Lair, Dragon's Lair 2 and Space Ace as they are the one that made me stop and stare and waste money as a kid :)

Back