'Muhammad' teddy teacher arrested

Status
Not open for further replies.

DiamondGeezer

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/africa/7112929.stm

A British schoolteacher has been arrested in Sudan accused of insulting Islam's Prophet, after she allowed her pupils to name a teddy bear Muhammad.

Colleagues of Gillian Gibbons, 54, from Liverpool, said she made an "innocent mistake" by letting the six and seven-year-olds choose the name.

Ms Gibbons was arrested after several parents made complaints.

A spokesman from the British Embassy in Sudan's capital, Khartoum, said it was unclear whether she had been charged.

Embassy officials are expected to visit Ms Gibbons in custody later.

"We are in contact with the authorities here and they have visited the teacher and she is in a good condition," an embassy spokesman said.

The spokesman said the naming of the teddy happened months ago and was chosen by the children because it is a common name in the country.

"This happened in September and the parents did not have a problem with it," he said.

'Very sensitive'

The BBC's correspondent Amber Henshaw said Ms Gibbons' punishment could be up to six months in jail, 40 lashes or a fine.

The school has been closed until January for fear of reprisals.

Fellow teachers at Khartoum's Unity High School told Reuters news agency they feared for Ms Gibbons' safety after receiving reports that men had started gathering outside the police station where she was being held.

The school's director, Robert Boulos, said: "This is a very sensitive issue. We are very worried about her safety.

They came up with eight names including Abdullah, Hassan and Muhammad
Robert Boulos
Director of Unity High School

"This was a completely innocent mistake. Miss Gibbons would have never wanted to insult Islam."

Mr Boulos said Ms Gibbons was following a British national curriculum course designed to teach young pupils about animals and this year's topic was the bear.

Ms Gibbons, who joined the school in August, asked a seven-year-old girl to bring in her teddy bear and asked the class to pick names for it, he said.

"They came up with eight names including Abdullah, Hassan and Muhammad," Mr Boulos said, adding that she then had the children vote on a name.

Twenty out of the 23 children chose Muhammad as their favourite name.

Mr Boulos said each child was then allowed to take the bear home at weekends and told to write a diary about what they did with it.

He said the children's entries were collected in a book with a picture of the bear on the cover and a message which read, "My name is Muhammad."

Book seized

The bear itself was not marked or labelled with the name in any way, he added.

It is seen as an insult to Islam to attempt to make an image of the Prophet Muhammad.

Mr Boulos said Ms Gibbons was arrested on Sunday at her home inside the school premises after a number of parents complained to Sudan's Ministry of Education.

I know Gillian and she would never have meant it as an insult. I was just impressed that she got them to vote
Muslim colleague in Sudan

He said police had seized the book and asked to interview the girl who owned the bear.

The country's state-controlled Sudanese Media Centre reported that charges were being prepared "under article 125 of the criminal law" which covers insults against faith and religion.

No-one at the ministries of education or justice was available for comment.

Mr Boulos told the BBC he was confident she would not face a jail sentence.

"So far there is not any formal accusation, you see, so it wouldn't reach that, it will be just a fine. We are struggling with the authorities and our advocates to just release her, and then the whole case will be dismissed," he said.

One Muslim teacher at the independent school for Christian and Muslim children, who has a child in Ms Gibbons' class, said she had not found the project offensive.

"I know Gillian and she would never have meant it as an insult. I was just impressed that she got them to vote," the teacher said.

In Liverpool, a family spokeswoman said Ms Gibbons' grown children, John and Jessica - both believed to be in their 20s - were not commenting on her arrest.

Protesters in Pakistan burn a Danish flag (24 February 2006)
Cartoons of the Prophet led to protests around the world in 2006

"I have spoken with her children and they do not want to say anything and aggravate the situation over there," she said.

Friends and neighbours of Ms Gibbons expressed their worry for the former deputy headteacher and respected educator who moved to Sudan in July.

"Gillian is a very talented and able teacher and she was extremely popular with the pupils at this school," said Gillian Jones, Ms Gibbons former colleague at Dovecot Primary School in suburban Aigburth.

Cartoons depicting the Prophet Muhammad printed in several European newspapers sparked violent protests around the world in 2006.

well what the f@ck is the british embassy doing? they should just go straight in take her out , fly her home and then f@ck the country off. this is just madness, why do muslims seem to take offence to everything?
the kids named it, it was a teddy for gods sakes

What a complete load of bollocks, they are a lot of simple minded tossers in Sudan

But of course the govt will do anything to please the muslims at the expense of others. I expect the british govt to do jack sh*t.

What do you call those people that like to dish it out but cant take it? That sums the religious fanatics up nicely!

This is ridiculous, come on, an honest mistake. It seems there is no such thing as forgiveness eh.

wow i'm glad i'm not a muslim . u should obey foreign countrys laws and traditions . its a pretty dumb thing to do . off to hide now lol

she's facing lashes.....can i have that job??? lol

but it is bit silly and the embassy should be getting her out of there.

Mohammed, being a very popular name for moslems - surely, this is more than just a teddy... Surely the media can't have us believe that this is all down to a teddy.

Lashings are usually due to something more sinnister. Not suggesting that the teacher in any way did anything wrong, but simply outlining a baseline fact before casting a judgement.

Get her back!

I wonder what would happen to muslims in this country if they accidentally named a teddy bear jesus.
Hmmmm

What a nice life immigrants have when they come to England inc. free money from the govt. But of course you still have to live by their rules.

Looks like it was a pissed off fellow teacher that reported her, the kids and there parents didn't seem too bothered.

Rediculous, absolutely rediculous, BOMB the bastards.

Rediculous, absolutely rediculous, BOMB the bastards.

YER!!!!! nuke the whole Muslim world, then all the ice that's melting has somewhere to go, we can call it the Muslim sea of tranquillity, then we can move all the north sea rigs and drill the oil.

But on a serious note this is the 21st century do people really believe in all this crap?

so when we go to a mulim country we have to abide by the laws, no matter how daft they may seem to us, or we get severly punished, yet when muslims arent happy with our laws theyll kick up a fuss untill theyre changed?

if a religion is just a belief, why all the fuss?father xmas is just a belief, but do we force him on people who dont care for him? no, we slowly fade him out of our own beliefs so as not to upset them

fukin ALL religion should be banned if you ask me, let people fight over something that matters

have you been reading the Sun this morning m8 and it's ridiculous not rediculous ...

Way doon the very bottom of the page you will find this m8 lol

AND SPELLING MISTAKED ARE GREAT!!!!

If spelling mistakes didn't exist, I'd have nothing to write!

Worked amongst them in the Middle East for years and I can tell you, as Uncle Sam would put it, you ain’t seen nothing yet. Some of the biggest hypocrites the world has ever seen. If it wasn’t for the good old ME and its devout so called religious fanatics Johnnie Walker would have gone out of business. Black Label, by the 750ml bottle, being preferable!

Try building a church in that back yard! As for the British Embassy out there forget it, it’s just another excuse for bureaucrats to drain the UK’s resources whilst having a good time at all those parties where, in fairness, they help with the task of downsizing the mountain of JWBL.

Sadly this is not an isolated incident, I’ve witnessed far worse, from beatings to beheadings. The only good thing to come out of there is a 747 westward bound.

“Sudan Love it or Leave it”

Flight Departures

Flight Departing Destination Departure Departure
Number From Date Time

BA15** Khartoum London 27/11/07 13.00 Hrs
Alitalia 12** Khartoum Rome 27/11/07 13.01 Hrs
Lufthansa 17** Khartoum Frankfurt 27/11/07 13.02 Hrs
KLM 15** Khartoum Schiphol 27/11/07 13.03 Hrs

Flight Arrivals

Flight Arriving Arriving Arrival Arrival
Number At From Date Time

Please note that there are no arrivals expected for the foreseeable future

yep, lets all take up our human rights and build lap dancing bars all over the middle east, we have them here so its only fair we should be allowed them if we choose to settle there, after all, its worked the other way round hasnt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back