Moving from cable to satellite

Dub11

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Just ordered DM600 satellite tuner to replace my cable one.

I know my way round the DM600 pretty well (flashing, cams, keys etc). Not very familiar with differences between cable and sat setup (other than the need for a sat tuner and a dish!!)

I tried to look up some tuts on DW but many links are dead. I expect I will not be the first to ask these questions (as DM600 cable days are numbered here in Ireland) Can somebody point me to a beginners guide to satellite?

What satellite? What dish? What image? What channels can I expect to receive? Which are FTA? Which are "decryptable" by DM600?

I realise that a lot will depend on whether my dish is motorized or not...but for starters...what is the optimal setup?

Many thanks.

I'm in the North East of England and 80cm dish gets me all important satellites 1w-42e. 16e is little hit and miss if its raining or snowing but on my cuberevo it doesnt break up

Eagle Linux box though its sometimes wont even get a picture on the screen so box depends on signal as well as dish size and LNB

i think you migth need a slightly bigger dish in ireland for 1w as im sure footprint just breaks through newcastle on lyngsat

card share is defo the way to go and diablo cam wont last much longer i dont think for conax channels

hi guys im in ireland 90 cm triax dish is perfect for thor and as you say all important satellites thor is perfect on that

Many thanks guys,

If I settle for a 90cm motorised dish (assuming quad lnb), do I need anything inside the house to enable independent feed to more than one tv? Are there constraints with a motorised dish? Must independent feeds be from the same satellite? Please forgive my ignorance.

Also, from a c/s perspective where do I start? Must I have a legit subscription before I can enjoy c/s?

Is there much value left out there with "conventional" softcams & keys

Finally, I have heard of services via the internet from Saudi which roll keys to subscription channels....anybody heard of / recommend this?

Sorry for all the questions....its all learning!!!

Many thanks guys,

If I settle for a 90cm motorised dish (assuming quad lnb), do I need anything inside the house to enable independent feed to more than one tv? Are there constraints with a motorised dish? Must independent feeds be from the same satellite? Please forgive my ignorance.

Also, from a c/s perspective where do I start? Must I have a legit subscription before I can enjoy c/s?

Is there much value left out there with "conventional" softcams & keys

Finally, I have heard of services via the internet from Saudi which roll keys to subscription channels....anybody heard of / recommend this?

Sorry for all the questions....its all learning!!!

I'm in the same boat as you mate - moving from cable to satellite so I'll be keeping a close eye on this thread. Question I have is can you use one of the black dishes from sly with a dreambox ? As far as c/s goes I think you should subscribe to at least something such as s*tan*a. Its fairly cheap and peeps will want it! Just my 2c

All dishes work with a dreambox, including black sky ones. However, the dish size limits reception choice. If you only want to receive channels broadcast at 28 degrees East, then a small sky dish is all you need.

All dishes work with a dreambox, including black sky ones. However, the dish size limits reception choice. If you only want to receive channels broadcast at 28 degrees East, then a small sky dish is all you need.

Nice one. Would the black sky one pick up any other satellites? Also in relation to c/s do you think I was on the money re subscribing to at least something?
Cheers in advance. Sorry for temporarily hijacking the thread!!!

Back