mobile phone insurance question

magicalbeef

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
right guys
got myself into a bit of a pickle, my current mobile, iphone 3gs 16gb, got dropped in a pint last night! Ive got mobile insurance via my barclays graduate account. The details on my policy can be found here http://www.lifestylegroup.co.uk/barclays/PDF/Mobile_Ins.pdf
now my question is, I know that they dont sell the 16gb version of the phone anymore, would they send me the 8gb one? Just Ihave to pay £100 excess, and if im going to get an 8gb I may aswell just sell my phone as water damaged and buy a different phone.

Please advise guys :)

as far as im aware all insurances have to give you equivalent model or better so they can not give you an 8gb they would have to replace with the same or an iphone 4 16gb

3. The settlement we offer for the phone will be based on the current market value of the registered phone or one of similar specification and functionality (where the phone is no longer available on the general market).
4. Replacement phones and accessories will come from available stock (which may be subject to change). In the event that the same model is not available or has been discontinued, the replacement will be of a similar specification and quality) as determined by us. W…e will contact you to confirm the phones that are available.
It's difficult to say from that whether you'd be offered the 8GB 3GS (similar functionality) or 16GB iPhone 4 (similar specification). You'd have to contact the insurer...

cheers guys, anyone else got an opinion? Just dont wanna waste my money and get a worse phone lol

did u activate the insurance for that phone so they already know about it?

They would not be allowed to give u an 8gb 3GS as it is a lower spec than you had and I've known people do the same with there bank account insurance and been sent the iPhone 4

Last edited:
they defo have to give you like for like 100% the only thing that can change is the colour ie: white for black or vise versa,

I activated the insurance when i opened the graduate acc, and ive logged onto my page and its all active etc. So you recon its worth the punt sending the soggy one back? just dont wanna spend 100 and get a worse phone back! Cheers guys

personally if you want a quick turn around id lose the thing or they will attempt to repair the phone before replacing it

Also, do I need to notify my provider? as my sim is working in my old phone, so to me it would seem pointless to notify tmobile for them to cut me off and send me out a new sim?

I should not think you need a new sim ya could have 2 mobile phone who's to say which sim was in which and I would read in to your small print on terms of losing your phone as to what is accepted pick pocketed is fine

Tell the truth what happened to it. Imagine if you phone up say you lost your phone and they see you have been using your sim in a different phone after it being lost.

Tell the truth what happened to it. Imagine if you phone up say you lost your phone and they see you have been using your sim in a different phone after it being lost.

That don't make a difference you can have more than one mobile and number it's got nothing to do with them it's just the imei there interested in

I should not think you need a new sim ya could have 2 mobile phone who's to say which sim was in which and I would read in to your small print on terms of losing your phone as to what is accepted pick pocketed is fine
Accidental damage is covered by the policy, so please don't do this.

The reason? To report the phone lost/stolen you need to inform the police within 24 hours. Also you've now gone from a vaild accidental damage claim, to an invalid lost/stolen claim - and technically provided the police with a false statement.

Just tell the insurance company the SIM works fine in another phone. Remember, you are covered for £250 worth of accessories too. So if you have a docking station that doesn't work with iPhone 4 or a couple of phone cases, don't forget to claim for those too.

Accidental damage is covered by the policy, so please don't do this.

The reason? To report the phone lost/stolen you need to inform the police within 24 hours. Also you've now gone from a vaild accidental damage claim, to an invalid lost/stolen claim - and technically provided the police with a false statement.

Just tell the insurance company the SIM works fine in another phone. Remember, you are covered for £250 worth of accessories too. So if you have a docking station that doesn't work with iPhone 4 or a couple of phone cases, don't forget to claim for those too.

The reason I stated that was your not hanging around waiting for repair or new phone this has happened to me before and they repaired a water damaged phone soaked it in some chemical or some thing and it did not last very long

Back