Mobile Phones mobile phone insurance

sempi

DW Regular
Reaction score
daughter lost her mobile phone last week whilst in town (don't know if lost or stolen from pocket/bag) so reported to police as lost and claimed her insurance (phone insurance)
got a letter from them yesterday saying her claim was unsuccessful as policy only covers damage and theft.
you can appeal by filling in online form or writing them a letter, my thoughts are that the phone can have been stolen but we don't know for sure or she could have left it down in a shop (she was in shopping not drinking...lol..only 16)

anyone had anything similar which they managed to get changed by appealing ?

insurance is part of carphone warehouse.

i would scream and shout at them over this, then put a claim in for miss - sold insurance policy.
im not to sure where you stand legally but if you were lead to bielieve that it was covered you have good grounds to claim for any moneys payed to them.
have a look on the consumer action group forums they may be able to help a bit more

Sorry m8. I hate insurance companies.

I think you can be pretty sure it was stolen, even if it wasn't taken from her bag.

If she left it in a shop, and someone found it... they either left it where it was (in which case you should find it), they turned it in (in which case the shop should have it for her), or they took it (in which case it was stolen). Either way, it seems to me if they don't have it in the shops, it was stolen.

Be careful with this, its harder to prove it was stolen rather than lost. Companies will insist that it was within plain sight, and not left unattended, otherwise they will void the insurance.

this happened with the wife last year round the local shops, put her bag down will looking at some tops for the kids, when she got to the check out, she noticed that her phone was missing and some other things.
Got on to the police and reported it but the insurance didn't want to know as they just rejected it by saying it hasn't been stolen.
So got back in touch with the police, was a nice community support office who we could talk with if we had any new info etc. Anyway after talking with her for a bit, she then said she would get us a crime number for the insurance people.
once the insurance people had the crime number they played a different tune and got a new phone asap.
it's worth giving that a go

this happened with the wife last year round the local shops, put her bag down will looking at some tops for the kids, when she got to the check out, she noticed that her phone was missing and some other things.
Got on to the police and reported it but the insurance didn't want to know as they just rejected it by saying it hasn't been stolen.
So got back in touch with the police, was a nice community support office who we could talk with if we had any new info etc. Anyway after talking with her for a bit, she then said she would get us a crime number for the insurance people.
once the insurance people had the crime number they played a different tune and got a new phone asap.
it's worth giving that a go

wife already been to police but reported it as lost....gave this number to the insurance then got the rejection letter from them.

Back