DVB - PC Cards MediaPortal (All Versions) & MDAPI (Fenrir/Yankse) Guide

dui

Inactive User
Reaction score
This is a cut and paste taken from hxxp://dvbn.happysat.org/viewtopic.php?t=41743

MEDIAPORTAL 0.2.2/0.2.3RC1/0.2.3RC2
Using MDAPI + Fenrir + Yankse

Firstly, it is important to note that this guide has been put together by me, EViS, with the aid of research and development also conducted by mbb and bigflause. I do not take credit for everything described here. I hope this to be an ultimate guide on how to get MediaPortal working in conjunction with MDAPI, Fenrir, and Yankse.

1 ) Install Mediaportal 0.2.3 RC2 with latest SVN (http://www.team-mediaportal.com/download.html). All relevant installation and configuration information can be found in the MediaPortal Wiki, MediaPortal Tutorial Videos and MediaPortal Forums.

2 ) Install Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 SP1 Redistributable Package (x86) to prevent registration problems later. (http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...D9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647&displaylang=de)

3 ) Ensure your FTA channels are working. If no .dvbc file exists for your country/provider and you rather MediaPortal do an automatic scan as opposed to you having to carry this procedure out manually every time you decide to search for new channels you’ll have to create one yourself.

Create a new ‘<any name>.txt’ file in the following directory:

<path_to_mediaportal>\TuningParameters

Enter a frequency, QAM value, and transponder for your provider (see format in below code – note no spaces between data). I always recommend beginning from the lowest frequency a provider may use anywhere in the country to the highest frequency they use anywhere in the country. This will entail a much longer scan time however will guarantee all channels available to you are found. In the UK frequency’s change in steps of 8 Khz, thus as soon as you find a channel on one frequency, go down in steps of 8 Khz to around 100000 Hz and then go up in steps of 8 Khz to around 900000Hz. The easiest way to create a full provider list with 8 Khz jumps is in Excel and then copy/paste the data into the .txt file.

Alternatively, if you have access to a dBox2 scanned for your area, the correct frequencies, QAM value, and transponder can be extracted from there and modified to the format below. If you own an NTL STB, the correct transponder for your area can also be found in the engineers menu.

107000,64QAM,6887000
115000,64QAM,6887000
123000,64QAM,6887000
131000,64QAM,6887000
139000,64QAM,6887000
147000,64QAM,6887000
155000,64QAM,6887000

Rename the new ‘<any name>.txt’ file to ‘<any name>.dvbc’. In MediaPortal Configuration Channel Scan, select the <any name> file from the drop down menu and scan for channels. If the ‘<any name>.dvbc’ that you just created does not appear in the drop down list you have either not saved the .dvbc file in the TuningParameters directory or have not changed the file type from ‘.txt’ to ‘.dvbc’.

All FTA channels are marked with a green icon next to their name in MediaPortal Configuration. Encrypted channels are marked with a red icon next to their name. At this stage all your FTA channels should be working. If they are not you will need to go over to the MediaPortal Forums and ask for support there.

EDIT: BRUTEFORCE TW file posted on this forum by Bluemotion attached at bottom.

4 ) Find the following files on the internet:

- ‘ffdecsa.dll’: I cannot provide you with this.

- ‘mdapifilter.ax’: Agarwal took over development of the ‘mdapifilter.ax’ filter for us and his latest release can be found here(http://dvbn.happysat.org/viewtopic.php?t=37579&start=0). He has since become busy working on other projects and therefore released his source code for further ‘mdapifilter.ax’ development by the community here(http://dvbn.happysat.org/viewtopic.php?t=40140). The latest v2.0b5 of the filter can be found here(http://www.zshare.net/download/2550036212cd59/) or here(http://mbb-mp.neuf.fr/mdapifilter.rar).

- ‘Fenrir.dll’: Can be found at DVBSkystar. (http://www.dvbskystar.com/down_softcam.html)
- ‘Yankse.dll’: Can be found at DVBSkystar.

- ‘Nagrakey.txt’: I cannot provide you with this. A different ‘Nagrakey.txt’ is needed for different providers (ie. NTL, Telewest, etc).

- ‘.bin’: Can be found at VDR Bluox (http://vdr.bluox.org/download/index.php?path=vdr-sc/nagra_roms/). Different ‘.bin’ files decrypt different encryptions (i.e. ‘Rom7.bin’ decrypts Nagra1 used by UK Cable).

5 ) In the MediaPortal root folder you want the above files in the following directory structure:

MediaPortal Root:

- MDPlugins (create new folder with this name)
- Nagra (create new folder with this name)
- FFDecsa.dll
- mdapifilter.ax

Into MDPlugins:

- Fenrir.dll
- Yankse.dll
- fenrir.ini
- yankse.ini
- yankse.prv

Into Nagra:

- All necessary .bin's
- NagraKey.txt

6 ) An issue with MediaPortal and Fenrir (cause currently unknown) is that the ‘Nagra.key’ file is written to the root MediaPortal directory as opposed to the ‘MDPlugins’ directory where Yankse is and looks for the ‘Nagra.key’ file to read current provider keys.

In order to resolve this issue the ‘fenrir.ini’ file written to c:\ (note: This is not the ‘fenrir.ini’ in the MDPlugins directory but the one written to the root of c:\) needs to be edited with the following addition at the bottom in order to change the directory where the ‘Nagra.key’ file is written:

[path]
key=<path_to_mediaportal>\MDPlugins\Nagra.key

7 ) Register the MDAPI filter as follows:

Start > Run > regsvr32 “<path_to_mdapifilter>\mdapifilter.ax”

8 ) MediaPortal 0.2.3 onwards enables the MDAPI icon in the system tray automatically. MediaPortal 2.2.0 does not and you have to select ‘Enable MDAPI’ in the MediaPortal Configuration.

The current version of MDAPI filter does not handle more than one stream at the same time very well, even two FTA channels. This is a feature Agarwal may work on, for now only use the MDAPI filter with one DVB card

In order to do this you will need to edit the ‘MDAPICards.xml’ file found in the MDPlugins folder. It will be populated by your cards id the first time you select a channel on it. Change the value for EnableMdapi from ‘yes’ to ‘no’ to disable MDAPI support for specific cards.

9 ) Right click on the MDAPI icon that should now be visible in the taskbar and set both Fenrir and Yankse to ‘Active’.

10 ) All FTA & non-FTA channels should now be working. You can check the status of Fenrir & Yankse as follows: Launch MediaPortal in window mode, right click on the MDAPI icon in the taskbar and open log windows for both Fenrir and Yankse. Check to see whether Fenrir is decrypting the keys of non-FTA channels and Yankse is reading them (flashing ‘*’). If this is not happening and you are still having problems feel free to ask in the forum!

Last edited:
this will probably work with vPlug aswell instead of Fenrir/Yankse...

Has anyone managed to get this to work? I can get FTA channels to display fine and the MDAPI icon pops up in the system tray when I click on TV in media portal, ive got fenrir and yanksee listed as active on the MDAPI tray icon. However this is the only thing I get in the MDAPI log window.

15:41:46: MDAPI_GET_VERSION: MD-API Version 01.03 - 01.06
15:41:46: MDAPI_GET_VERSION: MD-API Version 01.03 - 01.06

The fenrir/yanksee log windows are blank too, doesnt look like they are even trying to decrypt the channels.

Anyone got any ideas what i've done wrong? I've tried media portal 0.2.2 and 0.23RC2 and both do the same thing.

Thanks for that, i'm getting a bit further now.

However it still wont decrypt the encrypted channels, ive extracted it to the MDPlugins dir and i've got FFDecsa.dll and mdapifilter.ax in the MediaPortal dir. It shows the MDAPI and vPlug icons in the system tray and i've got vPlug set to Active in MDAPI. Do I need to do anything else?

I'm getting this in the MDAPI log window now.

16:13:51: MDAPI_START_FILTER: vPlug Sat. Time Filter(14) Running_ID(1) DLL_ID(0)
16:13:51: MDAPI_STOP_FILTER: lParam(3) index(0) ID(3)
16:13:51: Stopping filter vPlug CAT Filter
16:13:51: MDAPI_STOP_FILTER: lParam(1) index(0) ID(1)
16:13:51: Stopping filter vPlug Sat. Time Filter
16:13:51: MDAPI_STOP_FILTER: lParam(2) index(0) ID(2)
16:13:51: Stopping filter vPlug PMT Filter
16:13:51: MDAPI_GET_PROGRAMM
16:13:43: MDAPI_START_FILTER: vPlug CAT Filter(01) Running_ID(3) DLL_ID(0)
16:13:43: MDAPI_START_FILTER: vPlug PMT Filter(00) Running_ID(2) DLL_ID(0)
16:13:43: MDAPI_START_FILTER: vPlug Sat. Time Filter(14) Running_ID(1) DLL_ID(0)
16:13:43: MDAPI_GET_PROGRAMM

And this in the vPlug window when I try to view an encrypted channel.

Date - Message -
[23/09/2007 16:13:17] - No. of keys in v_keys.db: 358
[23/09/2007 16:13:17] - No. of rows in v_sids.db: 3822
[23/09/2007 16:13:18] - MediaPortal.exe - vPlug1.7.2.0
[23/09/2007 16:13:18] - vPlug's location: C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MDPlugins\
[23/09/2007 16:13:18] - Working dir: C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MDPlugins\
[23/09/2007 16:13:18] - MD-API Version 01.03 - 01.06 [MD-API]
[23/09/2007 16:13:43] - Failed to Get_Programm_Detail... Empty channel''s name was returned.
[23/09/2007 16:13:43] - - tp_id=0
[23/09/2007 16:13:43] - - ECM from SidCache: $0000
[23/09/2007 16:13:51] - - Failed to Get_Programm_Detail... Empty channel''s name was returned.
[23/09/2007 16:13:51] - - tp_id=0
[23/09/2007 16:13:51] - - ECM from SidCache: $0000

I've got MyTheatre working with Fenrir/Yanksee just cant get MediaPortal to work.

'[23/09/2007 16:13:43] - Failed to Get_Programm_Detail... Empty channel''s name was returned.'

can you get the fta channels?

I just got it working, I needed to use Media Portal 2.3.0 RC1 and fenrir/yanksee started working fine :)

Thanks for you help.

hi
Where I can download nagrakey.txt for euskaltel dvb-c?

Thanks

Hi guys

am really struggling to find **decsa.dll

can some one help me out please!

thanks

mudasser

I must be missing something. I've got MediaPortal 0.2.3.0 installed, I've got my FTA channels working and I've got the non-FTA channels appearing in my EPG. I've followed the steps including registering MDAPIFilter.ax but I'm not even seeing the MDAPI icon appearing my system tray.

I have DVBViewer working with non-fta channels though so I know I'm recieving them on the card and I have the capability to decode them. At least if I could get into the MDAPI log I could see what was going on.

Can anyone help?

did it register successfully - you get a message to say so if it did
and check that your MDPlugins directory is in correct place etc

I have my DLL and ax (for this reason) set up to use regsvr32 as their defrault application. Double clicking the MDAPIFilter.ax results in a DLRegisterServer in C:\program files\team mediaportal\mediaporta\MDAPIFilter.ax succeeded message. It succeeds no matter how many times I double click it, that's not an issue, is it? My MDAPI filter version is showing as 1.0.0.1, is that correct?

My MDPlugins folder is here: C:\Program Files\Team MediaPortal\MediaPortal\MDPlugins. This contains yankse.dll, yankse.ini, Fenrir.dll, fenrir.ini as well as a lod of vPlug files and folders. Earlier in the thread it was mentioned that there needs to be a fenrir.ini in the root of the c drive also? I have that and I've updated it to include the path to my nagra.key file.

I'm expecting my nagra.key file to be wrong, to be honest. But I have the correct key and I'll deal with that later. At the moment I just want the MDAPI icon to show in my systray; at least then I can start looking at logs and moving things forwards. At the moment I've just got mediaportal saying "no signal detected".

Thanks for your help; I appreciate it.

"no signal detected"

go to services.msc and restart TVservice, this should fix the problem.

if not, try a older SVN build as I had the same problem becuase MDAPIFilter/Decsa is not compatible with some mediaportal revisions.

I'm using the last stable release (0.2.3.0) as suggested in the original post. I'll grab the latest SVN from the MP site and install that tonight (these are the nightly builds, right?).

I'll try out the restarting of the TV service too, thanks.

Even if it mediaPortal says "no signal detected", shouldn't the MDAPI icon appear int he systray? Does it appear if you're watching an FTA channel?

the problem i have is Emunation and MDAPI does not start automatically when TVservice starts so I have to restart it manually. This has only occured when using newer builds. If you check the DVBN website it will have the latest MDAPI builds.

best of luck

Thanks for that. There's a patch for MP 0.2.3.0 that enables MDAPI. Everything is working now. I do have another question though (and I might start a new thread for it): how thorough should my transponder file be to make sure I get all the channels available? I started with a file that ranged from 100,000 to 900,000 in 50Hz increments, but that seems a bit too fine! Should I do it in 250Hz increments?

Hi

from what i have picked up,

generally if you find your base frequency i.e. a set of channels on a particular transponder then you can use 8khz steps up and down to your min and max frequency i.e.

my base frequency is 666750 so i went up in 8khz steps n down in 8khz steps, i found about 204 video channels and 40 odd radio channels

funnily enough 667000 worked aswell in mytheatre, as Charlieram suggested, found 32 channels aswell and signal properties were the same, have not tried it in another prog as of yet as my PC suffered a heartattack!

i found my frequency of my dbox2 and original STB

i have tried doing smaller increments but did not find any extra, according to mytheatre there were 31 transponders which had channels on them the othe 74 were no signal

there is a bruteforce transponder file on the forum somwhere i think that has a comprehensive transponder list which should find everything, may need editing to .dvbc for mediaportal i think

regards

mudd

Last edited:
Back