Manchester United thread

no doubt scholesy is a legend and a one of kind midfielder.. personally for me i think he has been a liability for the last 2-3 seasons but this doesnt take away the fact that he has been a midfield genius since he made his debut in 1994.. personal highlights, the goal v bradford in 2000, the bullet v middlesbrough maybe in the same season, the scorcher v aston villa at villa park in the 06/07 season and not forgetting the goal v barca in the semi final in 2008 that took us to moscow and rightfully allowed scholesy to take part in the final having missed the one in 99...

taking up a coaching role is a fantastic idea. his knowledge of the game and experience will hopefully rub off on the likes of morrison, pogba, cleverly and tunnicliffe. i'll definitely be attending his testimonial in august....

Michael Owen signs new contract

Michael Owen has signed a new one-year contract to stay at Manchester United.

The 31-year-old striker, whose deal was set to expire, had expressed his desire to prolong his career at Old Trafford.

"Delighted to be staying for another year. Thanks for all your messages," said the former Liverpool star on social networking site Twitter.

Owen spent much of the season on the sidelines at United, behind Wayne Rooney, Javier Hernandez and Dimitar Berbatov in the pecking order.

He was given a place on the bench for Saturday's Champions League final defeat against Barcelona at Wembley but only made 17 appearances during the 2010/2011 campaign, scoring five goals.

Owen, who has made 89 appearances for England, joined United on a free transfer after spells at Real Madrid and Newcastle following his exit from Anfield in 2004.

"Michael has proved to be a top footballer," stated United manager Sir Alex Ferguson. "It is unfortunate that he did not get more opportunities but the form of Hernandez put everyone in the shade and his partnership with Rooney proved invaluable.

"I am delighted Michael is staying for a further year and we will look to give him more opportunities in the new season."

The news casts doubt over the future of Bulgarian Berbatov, who, despite scoring 20 goals in the league this season, was not even on the bench against Barca.

But Owen added: "I am delighted to have agreed a one-year extension and I cannot wait for next season to start.

"To play alongside so many great players, under an exceptional manager and in front of so many passionate supporters is a real inspiration."

Bit strange, I guess this means Berbatov is going to be shipped out then. Sir Fergie has said he will bring back the young strikers from loan like Welbeck and give them opportunities, so maybe that he wants 1 experienced striker as backup to Rooney & Hernandez.

I think Fergie is looking at playing the front striker 'just on the shoulder of defenders' with Rooney slightly withdrawn. Owen can do this but Berba can't. Think Owen will get used a lot more too as Chico won't be used for a full season. It looks like they are attempting slicker football rather than someone holding the ball up and slowing play down. Just need some midfielders to set the ball rolling - literally!!

It was in the news yesterday that Samir Nasri is unsure over Arsenal future and has also refused to rule out a move to Manchester United.

Today, fire crews were spotted at his country mansion tackling a blaze.

Police suspect Arsene

Sky Sports sources understand Ashley Young has agreed personal terms ahead of his proposed move to Manchester United from Aston Villa.
The talented midfielder, who has also undergone a brief medical, is now expected to complete a switch to Old Trafford when he returns from holiday.
It emerged on Thursday that the Premier League champions had held discussions with Young's representatives over a possible switch to Old Trafford.
The England international admitted earlier this summer that he was keen to play at the very highest level, sparking speculation that he would leave Villa Park this summer.
United have been credited with a long-term interest in the former Watford player, while Liverpool were also understood to be monitoring the situation.
And Sir Alex Ferguson now looks to have pipped the Reds to yet another transfer target, with Blackburn defender Phil Jones already on course to join the 19-times champions of England.
Young agrees United terms | Sky Sports | Home | Latest

Sky Sports sources understand Ashley Young has agreed personal terms ahead of his proposed move to Manchester United from Aston Villa.
The talented midfielder, who has also undergone a brief medical, is now expected to complete a switch to Old Trafford when he returns from holiday.
It emerged on Thursday that the Premier League champions had held discussions with Young's representatives over a possible switch to Old Trafford.
The England international admitted earlier this summer that he was keen to play at the very highest level, sparking speculation that he would leave Villa Park this summer.
United have been credited with a long-term interest in the former Watford player, while Liverpool were also understood to be monitoring the situation.
And Sir Alex Ferguson now looks to have pipped the Reds to yet another transfer target, with Blackburn defender Phil Jones already on course to join the 19-times champions of England.
Young agrees United terms | Sky Sports | Home | Latest

Maybe not

Manchester United's Phil Jones bid in tatters: Blackburn won't be bullied as Liverpool launch £22m swoop | Mail Online

[h=1]De Gea signs on[/h] United have confirmed a third new signing of the summer after reaching agreement with Atlético Madrid for the transfer of David de Gea.
The 20-year-old goalkeeper passed a medical this week and has agreed a five-year deal with the club.
“I feel very proud and I can’t wait to start playing here,” said De Gea in an exclusive interview with MUTV, to be shown on the channel at 18:30 BST today.
“When a club the size of Manchester United comes in for you it obviously makes you very, very happy.
"I saw their interest as an extra motivation to work even harder to show off my ability.
"It’s a great privilege to be part of a club like United and I'm keen to do my best and show what I can do.”
De Gea follows Phil Jones and Ashley Young in signing for the Reds and will join up with his new team-mates next month.
The young stopper, who was part of Spain’s victorious squad at the UEFA European Under-21 Championships last weekend,

came through the ranks at Atlético before making his senior debut as an 18-year-old in the Champions League clash with FC Porto in September 2009.
He helped Atlético win the Europa League later that season and the 2010 UEFA Super Cup, and occupied the No.1 spot on a regular basis last season.

Manchester United Official Web Site - Manchester United sign goalkeeper David de Gea

So Jones, Young, De Gea, and there has been no indication the signings will stop there. If there's another 1 or 2 big name signings (especially for central midfield) then it should shut up people complaining about lack of transfers, and if it doesnt then I dont know what will lol.

So Ronaldo says he would have gone to City if Mourinho had left Real, because they were offering him £20million a year? Wow how much a greedy turd can you get, hes only 2 seasons into being at his 'dream club', the club he has wanted to play for since he was a little child, and he said he was willing to leave. Not only that but he would have gone to the local rivals of Manchester United, the club he said he still loves and supports, and would be the only club he would play for in England.

Gotta love this guy eh, just when you think he cant generate any more hate towards him, he does it

hi lads tomorow we hav are first game on the USA Tour 2011: United v New England Revolution do you no if there is any streams to watch it or do you hav to hav manu tv

cheers tony

will be better of looking at the streams tomorrow mate.sure there will be one

[h=1]Premier League - United quash Revolution in friendly[/h]
Thu, 14 Jul 03:00:00 2011

Manchester United got their pre-season tour of the US off to a winning start with a 4-1 victory over MLS side New England Revolution in Foxborough, near Boston.
64541001d5f392d5f00842e53ab5ac8a.jpg
[h=3]Related Links[/h]

• Federico Macheda netted twice off the bench after fellow substitute Michael Owen had opened the scoring just after the break in front of over 50,000 fans at the Gillette Stadium.
    Kenny Mansally's rather fortunate effort punctuated the Italian's brace as the Revs threatened to get back in the game at 2-1, but the Premier League champions never really looked in danger of losing a game they controlled from start to finish.
    United's performance - and their strong starting line-up - had largely delivered what their North American fans wanted to see and it was capped by a brilliant fourth, finished beautifully by Park Ji-sung.
    Ashley Young impressed in wide positions on both flanks as he pulled on a United shirt for the first time since his summer move from Aston Villa while the returning Macheda, fresh from a stint on loan in Serie A with Sampdoria, also caught the eye.
    The Italian's two goals, having been introduced at half-time, were consummately taken and may well have served as an indication as to how much he has improved since the spell back in his homeland.
    The first came in the 54th minute as United cut through the American side's defence like the proverbial hot knife through butter; Owen played in the onrushing Michael Carrick, who in turn squared the ball to Macheda and the striker did the rest.
    His second arrived shortly afterwards as the ball arrived at his feet at the back post. The 19-year-old, who appears to have bulked out somewhat since leaving Old Trafford in January, took one touch before firing back past keeper Matt Reis and just inside the far post.
    Owen, who signed a new one-year deal with United this summer, had earlier proved he still has a nose for goal, the former England international opening the scoring just five minutes after the break from Carrick's through pass following a goalless first half.
    United's total superiority was briefly undermined when Rio Ferdinand gave away a free-kick 25 yards out. Former Derby County midfielder Benny Feilhaber's effort from the set piece took a heavy deflection off Mansally, leaving keeper Anders Lindegaard wrong-footed, and the Revolution were back in it at 2-1.
    But Macheda's second put paid to any hopes the MLS side had of getting back into the game and United's dominance was rewarded with a fourth with 10 minutes remaining as Gabriel Obertan's trickery on the left and Ryan Giggs's first-time pass played in Park, who finished superbly with a dink over Reis.
    United's tour of the States continues next week with a game against the Seattle Sounders before they meet the Chicago Fire, an MLS All-Star team and then their Champions League final opponents Barcelona in Washington at the end of the month.
    Mike Hytner / Eurosport

Back