Manchester United thread

Cristiano Ronaldo has warned Premier League defences that he is still striving to improve.

The Portuguese winger scored 23 goals for United last term and his dazzling performances earned him the PFA Player of the Year award.

He has carried his form into this season, scoring against both Urawa Red Diamonds and FC Seoul on United's pre-season tour of Asia.

But Ronaldo, who is committed to The Red Devils until 2010, believes there is still room for improvement.

"I try to improve every season," he said.

"I have been in England for four years now. In my first season, I scored seven goals, in my second I scored nine, then 12 and last season I got 23.

"I have been playing well so far. I feel good and I feel fit and I have been helping the team.

"Hopefully, I can continue to do that because I hope to win the league again and I hope to score a lot more goals."

Tevez Saga

The latest news on Carlos Tevez is that FIFA and FA official will meet on Monday to discuss this transfer but a conclusion to this appears a few weeks a way.

Also Sir Alex has confirmed he doesn't have a back up plan if the Tevez deal doesn't pull through. This shows that the club are very confident of securing his transfer.

The latest news on Carlos Tevez is that FIFA and FA official will meet on Monday to discuss this transfer but a conclusion to this appears a few weeks a way.

Also Sir Alex has confirmed he doesn't have a back up plan if the Tevez deal doesn't pull through. This shows that the club are very confident of securing his transfer.

or that they have put all there eggs in one basket ;)

joke joke joke btw before I get run outta town ;)

United Squad

For next season what squad would u lads like i would go for this one

Goal keepers

1. VDS
2. kuzcack
3. Foster
4. Heaton

Defenders

1. Rio
2. Vidic
3. Nevelle
4. Evra
5. Brown
6. Pique
7. Evans
8. Heinze
9. Silvestre
10. Simpson
11. O'Shea

Midfield

1. Scholes
2. Carrick
3. Hargreaves
4. Fletcher
5. Giggs
6. Ronaldo
7. Park
8. Nani
9. Anderson
10. Eagles

Strikers

1. Rooney
2. Saha
3. Rossi
4. NEW STRIKER (TEVEZ hopefully)
5. Ole

That is a 30 man squad i think that is a good first team squad the rest of the players we have should be loaned out or sold etc.

What do you think?

Heinze To Use Courts To Get Liverpool Move?

goal.com

1932_news.jpg

Argentine ace Gabriel Heinze is considering taking legal action to force Manchester United to allow him to make his desired move to Liverpool, according to reports.

It has been claimed that the defender's representatives are looking at taking to the courts after United refused to sanction a move to Anfield even though their rivals matched the £6m asking price for the player.

Reports have claimed that Henize has a letter signed by United chief executive David Gill claiming he would be free to leave for £6million, although it may not be the case that this clause is formally written in his contract.

Sir Alex Ferguson said earlier this week: "I can assure you, Liverpool will not be getting Gabriel Heinze.

"We can put that to bed right now and we have done so. We have had a couple offers for him and we have turned them down."

Heinze has also been linked with moves to clubs across Europe, but there has been no reports of any concrete activity on this front, which will increase Heinze's desire to be allowed to move to Liverpool.

ONE THING I HOPE IS FERGIE DOESN'T SELL HIM TO THE SCOUSERS

All this seams encouraging as it look like Gaby may not go after all!!

Gabriel Heinze has demanded a place in the Manchester United first-team, if he is not to leave the club.

Heinze has been linked with a transfer to United's Premier League rivals Liverpool, but Old Trafford manager Sir Alex Ferguson has previously dismissed the move and is confident the Argentine defender will report for pre-season training.

However, Heinze, who is on a short break before returning to action after competing in the Copa America, has now stated that he deserves a United starting role.

"I will only leave if Alex Ferguson says to my face I do not enter in his plans," Heinze told the News of the World.

"I don't consider myself inferior to anyone.

"This is a delicate subject, especially for the fans.

"I believe that to leave United for Liverpool would not be understood by them."

Heinze has made 75 United starts since a £6.9million move from Paris Saint Germain in 2004, but last season he lost his place in Ferguson's first-team to Patrice Evra.

Gabriel Heinze will have to defy Sir Alex Ferguson to secure a £7m move from Manchester United to Liverpool.
Liverpool have met the fee that would secure the 29-year-old Argentine defender's release - stated in a letter from United to Heinze's agent

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/6900545.stm

I cant ever understand why a player wants to leave man utd for Liverpool, I used to rate Heinze a good player but if he wants to turn his back on Man Utd for Liverpool, he will have to take lots of stick from the supporters.

It looks like bullying tactics are being used by Liverpool to get him, after all he is still under contract to Man Utd. Personally i would not let him go but i would let him rot in the reserves, its about time some club done this and stand up to the Players/Agents.

I heard its all because he cant be guaranteed his place , well i can tell him one thing, no one is gauranteed theire place at Man Utd.

NO PLAYER IS BIGGER THAN HIS CLUB

They should let him go then. If he isnt worth a place in Utd team then why should he not go elsewhere, he wont be gauranteed a place at Liverpool either, no one is, but he may have a better chance because Utd seem to have settled with Evra and I think he knows that.

Had to laugh at your bullying tactics remark though aftermath.....Carlos Tevez ring any bells....lol (getting Fifa involved.....alledgedly)

What is it you Mancs are afraid of...that he will come back and haunt you ???

They should let him go then. If he isnt worth a place in Utd team then why should he not go elsewhere, he wont be gauranteed a place at Liverpool either, no one is, but he may have a better chance because Utd seem to have settled with Evra and I think he knows that.

Had to laugh at your bullying tactics remark though aftermath.....Carlos Tevez ring any bells....lol (getting Fifa involved.....alledgedly)

What is it you Mancs are afraid of...that he will come back and haunt you ???

I think if Heinze wants to go, then utd should let him even if it is to Liverpool. I understand that Utd wont want him to go to Merseyside but he will be of no use to united if he does not want to be there. At least if they seel him to the Pool they will be able to get a return on him. Saying Liverpool are using bullying tactics is wrong really as Liverpool have stated they made an offer and it was rejected. Its as if utd think it is a slight on them for Liverpool to even make an offer for one of their players, how dare they! haha!

Heinze isn't bad its his agents that are the problem. I for one ain't too bothered if he goes or stays with us. We have good cover at left back in

Evra
Silvestre
O'Shea
Evans

Bad News

Scholes injured

Paul Scholes has been sent home from Manchester United's tour of Asia after picking up an injury.

The former England international was absent from the United side that played Shenzhen FC on Monday as the Premier League champions continued their tour of Asia.

It is not known the full nature of the injury, but Scholes underwent a scan on the problem on Sunday.

United's medical staff have decided to take no risks on the injury and Scholes will now make his way back to Manchester five days early.

Old Trafford boss Sir Alex Ferguson will be hoping that the injury to Scholes is not serious and that the midfielder will be fit to start the new season next month.

more news....

Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed Paul Scholes may miss the start of the new season after the midfielder injured his knee on the pre-season tour of Asia.

Scholes has been sent home from the tour after picking up the knock in Manchester United's 4-0 win over FC Seoul on Friday and will undergo an exploratory knee operation.

The surgery could rule Scholes out for up to four weeks, putting his participation in the champions' Premier League opener against Reading on 11th August in major doubt.

"Paul fell on his knee in the last game. We've sent him home for arthroscopy to see what kind of damage there is," Ferguson told MUTV.

"We don't think it's serious but it could keep him out for three weeks or a month."

The news that Scholes would be returning home came ahead of the latest match in their tour of Asia against Shenzhen, which United won 6-0.

Luis Nani netted his first goal for the club to go along with strikes from Ryan Giggs, Wayne Rooney, Cristiano Ronaldo, John O'Shea and Chris Eagles.

"It was a good performance in spells and the humidity was quite high," Ferguson said. "Some of the goals were very good.

"We wanted to use as many players as we can and it was an exercise to get everyone fit. They have all had their share and it's been good for us that way.

"In our first game (of the tour) there was a bit of rustiness but in the last two games we haven't looked like conceding."

Last edited:
United bag a brace today.

It was a good game as the United fans got their first chance to see Nani in action in a United shirt and he looked impressive. I have seen him on many occasions before and he looks quality.

Match report

Manchester United completely demolished China Super league side Shenzhen 6-0 in the third game of their East Asia tour.

Six different scorers including a debut goal from Nani secured the victory, which could have easily been double figures.

The first half was a stroll for United, they dominated possession and were given far too much time on the ball, with Cristiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney often producing moments of show-boating.

United made their early superiority count when Darren Fletcher slotted Rooney in, who found himself one-on-one with the keeper but the powerful striker unselfishly rolled across for Ryan Giggs to tap-in.

The Red Devils doubled their lead on 20 minutes when a superb half-volleyed reverse ball by Giggs found Rooney, who audaciously lobbed the keeper from just inside the area.

The impressive Giggs was involved in United's third as he set up up Nani for a debut goal. The Welshman flicked the ball into the path of the debutant and he coolly hit a first-time shot into the bottom left-hand corner.

Shenzhen displayed some neat passing at times but failed to create, only managing a few long-rang efforts which Edwin van der Sar easily gathered.

Alex Ferguson's men also had two goals bizarrely disallowed, the first a Ronaldo header and the second a stabbed Wes Brown shot.

Just before the first half came to a close United almost made it four when Ronaldo smashed a dipping 25-yard free-kick against the bar.

Minutes into the second half Shenzhen carved out an opportunity, a pacey cross was swiped at by Patrice Evra and it fell to the left-winger but his shot rippled against the side-netting.

After a slow start to the half United slowly began to get their tempo back, a sweeping ball from Brown found Ronaldo who drove in and laid the ball into the path of John O'Shea who finished expertly.

Minutes later Nani started a counter-attack with a direct run, he pushed the ball right to Rooney who then rolled the balled across to Ronaldo, who easily finished to make it five.

On 64 minutes substitute Chris Eagles made it two goals in two games with a wonderful 30-yard strike which swerved and dipped into the top corner.

Despite the humidity United's pressure was relentless as Michael Carrick's shot came down off the bar and Alan Smith spurned a golden opportunity when he dallied on the ball.

Shenzhen continued to chase every ball but it was to no avail as United eased to victory.

The Premier League champions finish their tour of East Asia when they face Guangzhou Pharmaceutical on 27th July.

Heinze wont be going to Liverpool, says Fergie again

Sir Alex Ferguson says he will do what he can to ensure Gabriel Heinze does not sign for Liverpool.

Speaking after United's 6-0 victory against Shenzhen FC in Macau, the Reds boss reiterated his desire to see Heinze training at Carrington when United return from the Far East.

"There is no change in the situation," Sir Alex said. "He won't be going to Liverpool as far as I'm concerned. I think the matter should rest there.

"We're examining some of the statements coming from Heinze's agent regarding the first contact with Liverpool.

"We're not happy with the agent's conduct in the matter. But, at the moment, I've got nothing more to say on it."

Liverpool boss Rafa Benitez was quoted today confirming his interest in Heinze. He also said Liverpool's lawyers were working to take the Argentina international to Anfield.

Lou Macari says Ronaldo is the Man who makes utd tick

Former United midfielder Lou Macari admits he would love to play alongside Cristiano Ronaldo.

Macari, who made 401 appearances for the Reds between 1973 and 1984 and now works as a pundit on MUTV, has long been vocal in his admiration of Paul Scholes. But when asked recently which current United star he would like to play with, the Scotsman was quick to name the Portuguese winger.

"At this point in time, Ronaldo's the man who can make things happen," Macari said during an on-air phone-in after United's 3-0 win over FC Seoul.

"If you were a midfielder and you wanted an easy 90 minutes, you'd give the ball to him and say, 'Go and deliver, go and get us a few goals'."

Macari admitted his first instinct was to go with Paul Scholes but explained the reason behind his final decision.

"In the last 18 months Ronaldo has been absolutely superb. When he first came he took a while to settle in and you wondered if he could match the pace of the English game. Could he take the rough and tumble of the Premier League? Could he withstand some of the tackles he was going to get?

"But he's learnt very quickly to cope with all those things and he's been a real problem to every team he's faced. Of course, now he's getting goals as well. To start with, balls were going high, wide, over the crossbar… his free-kicks and corner-kicks weren't really going where he hoped they would, but he's come on in leaps and bounds.

"We saw how dangerous he can be against FC Seoul. He got the first goal and then set up another two. In the space of 20 minutes he's had a hand in three goals."
1/1001 02 03 04 05 06 07 08 09 10

Hargreaves sympathy for Teves

Owen Hargreaves admits he can fully relate to the frustrations Carlos Tevez will be feeling at the moment over his proposed switch to United.

Tevez must wait for the outcome of a FIFA investigation before he discovers whether or not his move to Old Trafford will go through before the transfer window shuts next month.

Hargreaves found himself in a similar position this time last year when, having expressed a desire to join the Reds, his club at the time, Bayern Munich, blocked his departure.

United failed in their attempts to sign the England midfielder in January, before finally completing the deal earlier this summer. Hargreaves sympathises with the Argentine and is hopeful that he'll receive clearance to join the Reds in the near future.

"Sometimes these things are difficult," Hargreaves told PA Sport. "We are all aware Carlos Tevez is a fantastic player who is obviously wanted by the club. It is tough to say what the situation is at the moment but once it is sorted out, I am sure he will be eager to come here.

"When a team like Manchester United express their interest it is hard to say no, especially for someone like myself - I dreamt of having an opportunity like this my whole life.

"Every player would love the opportunity to come and play here and I am sure he is exactly the same."

Hargreaves was already familiar with many of his United team-mates before he joined having spent time with them on international duty for England. He says he is loving life at Old Trafford and is excited about the season ahead.

"Settling-in has been easy. The transition has been very smooth for me because I know a lot of the players already," he explained. "I have been on the training ground with them at Carrington, I am used to playing at Old Trafford with England. All these little things mean the transition has been smooth.

Tickets for sale for the Milan game

Manchester United will play Inter Milan at Old Trafford on Wednesday 1 August, kick off 8pm

Tickets are available to purchase online or by calling the Ticket Order Line on 0870 442 1999, weekdays from 9am to 5pm

Ticket Prices are as follows (subject to availability):
North Tier 2 - £25
North East / West Tier 2 - £15

Please note: A half price facility is available for Over 65’s, and Under 16’s are priced £5 everywhere in the stadium.

If you are looking for somewhere to relax before and/or after the game, why not visit the fanzone, situated just behind the Noth Stand turnstiles. Entry is just £2 for adults and free for juniors and will give you access to a self service restaurant area, seating area and bar, tickets can be booked online or by calling 0870 442 1994 weekdays from 8am to 8pm and weekends 9am to 5pm.

Back