Manchester United thread

After a few dodgy performances of late that was a great result but utd look to be back on the right road (solid) and thats a big bonus given whats to come in the next few weeks. Yanno like a couple of semi finals and a premiership run in. <-- thats where our big squad comes in

Most of the team put in a really good shift....except for Berbatov, thats one lazy cnut, I wasn't surprised when he got subbed.

Most of the team put in a really good shift....except for Berbatov, thats one lazy cnut, I wasn't surprised when he got subbed.

Jaffa i thought he did ok first half lol

I thought this was one of his better games lol

I was surprised Tevez didn't play but he probably will start on the weekend! Rooney worked very hard today he must be knackered hope this springs us on now

Jaffa i thought he did ok first half lol

I thought this was one of his better games lol

I was surprised Tevez didn't play but he probably will start on the weekend! Rooney worked very hard today he must be knackered hope this springs us on now

I thought he was awful tbh.......his passing was sh1te and he just doesnt seem to have the desire the others showed.

btw...he was the same at Spurs, but he scored more goals for them which took away the fact he was lazy.

Yea i would agree with you Jaffa, I thought Berbatov was quite crap. He did well holding up the ball, but his passing was terrible and at times his touch to control was not there.
It was like he was an alien in the United team

Cant defend him and wont but he was carrying an ankle injury last night and it showed, although he did what was asked and held the ball up front .....
But he is one lazy bollox lol.........Fergie needs to sort him out and quick.

Great Result from United
I miss the match tho :( so i cant get involved with the whole Berbatov debate.. but i was surprised he played.. i thought we would be out injured..

I think that Berbs was always a oportunist (AKA : 'goal hanger') type of player and spends most of his matches looking like he does very little work, which of course is forgotten when he latches onto opportunities and scores. Not criticism just observation!

I know he is lazy but last night he did a job but i still think Tevez should play instead of him Tevez works for the team! Berbatov is lazy and will not track back and he ain't banging in the goals at the other end.

He can do ok at times but isn't really a team player!

Sir Alex Ferguson is considering rushing Wes Brown back into action ahead of the critical end-of-season run-in.

United are currently competing on three fronts with the Premier League, UEFA Champions League and the FA Cup all within their grasp.

The Red Devils could have a further 12 games to play from now until the end of the season if they overcome Arsenal in their two-legged Champions League semi-final and Everton in their FA Cup last-four clash on Sunday.

Ferguson is desperate to get as many players fit as possible ahead of a busy schedule with Brown pencilled in to turn out for the reserves against Preston on Monday.

The defender has not featured since January but the problem originally stems from when the 29-year-old underwent ankle surgery in November.

"Wes has started training with the first team and I am contemplating playing him in the reserves on Monday," Ferguson said.

"Given the amount of important games we have coming up, it might be worth rushing him back.

"It would be great to have Wes available because he is such a fantastic defender and it will give us another option."

Ronaldo hints at stay!!!

Cristiano Ronaldo has given the strongest possible hint that he will remain at Old Trafford for next season at least.

The Portuguese superstar was linked to a move to Real Madrid for most of last summer, with speculation dominating the headlines.

This transfer talk re-surfaced again this week when former Real president Ramon Calderon claimed Ronaldo would arrive at the Bernabeu this summer.

But Ronaldo himself says Old Trafford is the right place to be at present as the European champions chase an unprecedented quintuple.
Great feeling

He said: "It is a great feeling and I love to play here.

"I am very happy here. I want to win more trophies here. At the moment I think I am at the right club.

"And I want to win trophies next season as well."

English clubs are dominating European football at present, with three Premier League sides making the UEFA Champions League semi-finals for a third successive year.

Fair reflection

Ronaldo believes this is a fair reflection of the standard of the Premier League, saying: "It is not luck that there are three English teams in the semi-final of the Champions League.

"In my opinion it is because the Premier League is the toughest league and the most competitive league with the best players."

United take on Everton in an FA Cup semi-final on Sunday as they bid for the quintuple, with Ronaldo looking forward to the challenges ahead.

He said: "We have this opportunity, but it will be difficult to win the five trophies.

"It is not impossible; we have to play against Everton and that will be a tough game, but everyone knows if we win we are in the final again."

Reports suggest that Rooney, Ronaldo and VDS haven't travelled to Wembley as part of the squad looks like they will be rested today. Big decison by Fergie not to have 2 of our most influential players in the squad!

Reluctant hero Paul Scholes could join a select band to make 600 appearances for Manchester United on Wednesday night - with Sir Alex Ferguson claiming he has never had a single enquiry for the midfield maestro.

Only Bill Foulkes, Sir Bobby Charlton and Ryan Giggs have played more often for the Red Devils than Scholes, who made his debut as a 19-year-old against Port Vale in 1994.

Since then, Scholes has made an art form of avoiding publicity. There will be no fanfare to mark his latest milestone, or even his retirement should it come, as predicted, in the summer of 2010.

On Sunday at Wembley no-one even bothered to ask the former England star whether he would stop to offer his observations on the FA Cup semi-final defeat to Everton.

The waiting journalists knew what the answer would be, just as Ferguson feels potential suitors knew what response they would get should they have ever asked Scholes to join them.

"Funnily enough we have never had one enquiry for Paul Scholes," said Ferguson. "You know why? Because they all know he will never leave.

"Maybe he has had private situations where people have begged him to join them because that is how it happens with agents phoning up and all that nonsense.

"But they all know he wouldn't leave here."

It can be quite amusing to watch Scholes in action. Showered, dressed and out of the dressing room while most of his team-mates are still digesting their latest battle, the 34-year-old prefers life at home with his three children to any of the glamour and glitz of the Premier League.

If anyone else had called time on his England career at 29, still in his prime with loads to offer, a reason other than not wanting to be away from home would be presumed. Not Scholes, who finished with 66 caps, a ridiculously small number for a player of such talent.

Quite possibly Scholes was the outstanding English player of his generation.

"At United, you can go back to the Best, Law and Charlton era," said Ferguson. "Before that you have Duncan Edwards.

"You are talking a wide panorama of players. But in my time he would be in the top six or seven without a doubt.

"His contribution and quality have been great, even without the fantastic goals he has scored.

"When he came on against Everton on Sunday, his first touch was better than anyone else's had been in the whole previous hour.

"He has that wonderful velvet touch on the ball. When he gets it, it goes stone dead. It is wonderful to see that amidst all the mayhem that can happen in a football match."

Had Scholes not suffered the type of serious injuries Giggs never has, including an eye problem which kept him out for half a season in 2006 and threatened his career, he might well have been challenging the Welshman's United appearance record of 798.

He could never get close to the number of interviews though.

Of that famed class of 92 from which Scholes emerged, Giggs slots in alongside former team-mate Phil Neville in carrying out media duties in a polite manner, interesting and fun, without courting too much controversy.

Gary Neville tends to be a bit more blunt. David Beckham is obviously happy with the attention, Nicky Butt far, far less so.

Scholes, well he is something else entirely. A footballer who does not seem to like football very much.

"I know where he is coming from there," said Ferguson. "It is agony trying to get him to press conferences or do anything for UEFA games.

"I made him captain once. He didn't like it. There is no chance having it again.

"These days, on the press side of things some do it grudgingly and can cope with it. Others enjoy it and are very professional about it.

"But quite a few don't enjoy it at all. They just see themselves as footballers. When they have finished training they like to be back home."

3 points is a must tonight following lpool's result last night... we need to take advantage... Strongest possible side please fergie...

3 points is a must tonight following lpool's result last night... we need to take advantage... Strongest possible side please fergie...

after resting most of the team on Sunday there is no way he will not be fielding the strongest team available to him

yep we need 3 points today to put extra pressure on Liverpool..

Wednesday, 22 April 2009
Reuben Noble Lazarus Trains With Manchester United For Two Weeks
reuben noble-lazarus barnsleyBarnsley player Reuben Noble-Lazarus is currently training with Manchester United for two weeks.

Noble-Lazarus is still only 15 years of age and has made two substitute appearance for the Barnsley this season.

He has been a regular in the Reserves and also scored a memorable hat-trick against Sheffield United in the Academy side.

Reuben has been with Barnsley Football Club setup from the age of twelve and this season he has played for the Under 16s, 18s, Reserves and First team.

Noble-Lazarus was born 16 August 1993. He can play as an outright striker or on the left, and is renowned for his speed. At 15 years and 45 days old, he became the youngest player ever to feature in a Football League match when he came on as a substitute during Barnsley's 3–0 Championship defeat by Ipswich Town on 30 September 2008.

The previous weekend, Noble-Lazarus had scored a hat-trick for the Barnsley under-18 team, for whom he had played since he was 12 years old, and was selected as a substitute for the senior team's visit to Portman Road. Coming on in the 84th minute of the match to replace Martin Devaney, Noble-Lazarus surpassed the record set by Bradford Park Avenue's Albert Geldard in September 1929, and equalled by Welshman Ken Roberts for Wrexham F.C. in 1951, by 113 days. He was too young to be paid for his appearance – Barnsley manager Simon Davey joked he would be given pizza and a ham sandwich for his efforts – and was due to return to Newsome High School in Huddersfield the following day.

Davey had wanted to play Noble-Lazarus in the League Cup earlier in the season but was prevented from doing so by the competition's rules, which prohibit the selection of players under the age of 15. The club has made an agreement with Noble-Lazarus' school to allow him to train with the club for two days each week. Davey has said that the club will "nurture" Noble-Lazarus by ensuring that he is "...dipped in and dipped back out..." of the team. Noble-Lazarus was included in Barnsley's squad to face Doncaster Rovers the weekend after his debut, making another substitute appearance when he came on for Iain Hume in the 87th minute.

Tevez to ponder his options
Wednesday 22 Apr 2009

Carlos Tevez fears his lack of first-team starts at Manchester United this season could force him to find a new club in the summer.
The 25-year-old Argentina international has been on loan at Old Trafford for the last two seasons but is becoming increasingly concerned that Sir Alex Ferguson does not want the switch to be made permanent.
Tevez told Fox Sports Radio Del Plata: "I have many offers, not only from Spain. I need to see which club I can go to and what can be done.
"We must not only consider the money, I also have to ensure my family feel comfortable, especially my daughter. So I have a lot to think about.
"Even if you score three of four goals, you do not play in another game. There are many very good players but I need to play.
"I have trained every day and never said anything against my team-mates or anyone but it is true that there are other options for next season.
"I have not played in important matches. The 'clasico' against Chelsea I did not play. Those are the games that I like to play in."
Tevez has scored 32 goals in 70 starts and 22 appearances from the substitute's bench during his time with United.

Gutted if this is true because he's an exceptional player, more heart in his little toe than Berba will ever have. But at 32 million squid I fear his days may well be numbered.

Manchester United’s victory over Portsmouth came at considerable cost with injuries sustained by Gary Neville and John O’Shea expected to keep the defensive pair out of action for several weeks, thus ruling them out of their team’s Champions League semi-final against Arsenal.

Neville’s problematic ankle succumbed early in the first half of Wednesday’s 2-0 win over Pompey, with his replacement O’Shea also falling foul of his team’s right-back jinx after a foot injury induced by a tackle from Nadir Belhadj early in the second half.

United have been dogged by injuries in defence, with Rio Ferdinand still not fully recovered from a back problem, but it is at right full back that Sir Alex Ferguson’s side have particularly struggled.

Neville and O’Shea will restrict Ferguson’s options ahead of the Champions League semi-final first leg against Arsenal on April 29.

One positive piece of injury news for the Scot, though, is the imminent return of Wes Brown.

Brown is penciled in for a return against Tottenham Hotspur on Saturday, a match that is live on Setanta Sports, provided the England international comes through a reserve-team game against Newcastle United on Thursday.

Brown, who has not played since November due to a foot injury, featured for an hour in United’s Lancashire Senior Cup win against Preston on Monday.

Back