Man stabbed to death chasing muggers in east London

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
_47074218_mdr5-10singh1.jpg

A man has been stabbed to death while chasing thieves who had snatched a woman's handbag in east London.

Sukhwinder Singh, 31, was attacked on Friday evening as he pursued two men who had mugged a 28-year-old woman near Barking station.

Mr Singh, a builder, had chased the men along Victoria Road, into Uphall Road, where he was stabbed at about 1900 GMT, the Metropolitan Police said.

The father-of-one was taken to the Royal London Hospital but died.
Police said Mr Singh was an Indian national who had lived in the UK for about 10 years.

According to the Met, he had cousins in Barking but his family lived in India.
'Very brave'

Police have set up a cordon around the murder scene and officers have been searching bins in Victoria Road. Mohammad Jubran, 22, who lives in Victoria Road, said: "I was just coming back from the gym and, when I got home, my mum said she heard someone screaming, calling out 'Don't let them run'.
"It's terrible. I've been living here for 16 years and it's the first time I have heard someone has been murdered.
"It was a brave thing he did."

The two suspects were described as black, aged in their 20s to 30s, and both were about 5ft 7in to 6ft. Detective Inspector John Sandlin said Mr Singh was not connected to the woman whose bag was snatched.

He described Mr Singh's actions as "very brave" but added: "I would not encourage members of the public do that." He said: "This is a tragic death of a man who was killed for attempting to stop others committing crime.

"I am appealing for anyone that knows who committed this crime, or who has any information about those who committed this crime, to do the right thing and come forward and contact police." He also urged anyone who had seen the robbery, the following altercation or people fleeing the area to come forward. "It is also possible that the suspects may have abandoned the bag stolen and I appeal to anyone who may find a brown leather shoulder bag, to contact police," he added.

'Would help anybody'
A committed Sikh, Mr Singh used to go to Singh Sabha London East Gurdwara in North Street, Barking, every evening after work.
Nirmal Singh Gill, who represents the Longbridge ward on Barking and Dagenham Council, said he knew Mr Singh by his nickname "Bittu".
"He was a very nice young man," he said. "He used to go to Gurdwara every evening and was always helping.
"He didn't drink at all and was a very clean-living person.
"He would help anybody so it doesn't surprise me that he was trying to help a lady.
"He didn't deserve this - nobody deserves it - but he was a special young man."

BBC

I don't like to post these types of stories but this is kinda personal. I've met this guy on numerous occasions at the Gurdwara and he was always helping out, he'd spend most of his evenings doing the washing up and general cleaning around the place before he'd go home. This really couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I'm not shocked though, Barking has been gradually worsened over the years and these black gangs rule the streets with their weapons and pit bull terriers terrorising anyone that dares stand up to them. Some parts are complete no go zones and it's no surprise that people in Barking and Dagenham voted BNP, anything for change.

I'm gutted for the fella's family back in India, he leaves a young child behind.

I'm sorry munks.

That guy is a hero.

I would hope I would do the same.

RIP.

Oh, and **** the scum bag who did it.

This is sickening. My thoughts go out to his family. A decent man trying to to a decent thing for a member of his community. Very, very sad.

Knife crime in this country is like a plague. Tougher sentences need to be given for just carrying a knife, let alone using it. NO-ONE NEEDS TO BE CARRYING A KNIFE DURING A NORMAL DAY-TO-DAY BASIS.

There are occasions where someone will have a knife on their possesion for legitimate reasons, but, on the whole, anyone carrying one, and you hear some say "it's for protection" is admitting that they are willing to use it on another human being. So anyone carrying one should have a jail sentence.

It's the weapon of choice at the moment.

And for the scumbags that done this :Kickassro

Always happens to the nice guys and people who care, I'm sure these scumbags prey on their good nature, they are nothing but cowards, such a shame, he seemed like a top bloke not many people now days would jump to the defence of anyone, thoughts with the family and he's little one

its about time the councils and police face facts .. they have lost the fight for law and order and they have to do wot were paying them for ..

lm sure they we find the scum bag and he will get 8 months because he will claim self defense

or he will be an illegal and never been seen again ..

sickening country we r living in now ,, god help my kids

and may he rest in peace or his bravery

absolutely disgustin.... these fckers need lockin up for life... but as smirnoff said they'll probably get a measley sentence if they get caught and will be back on the streets again.

Very tragic news!

This is becoming a daily thing on our streets people getting killed with knives and guns and once more an innocent life is lost. The culture of carrying knives on the streets is really a major issue and one that needs to be tackled with some severity.

Sorry to hear about your friend Munkey I read this on the BBC earlier, a very brave man. Policing in this country is a joke. I hope the cowards who did this get all they deserve, but I doubt it.

thebigman

Simple rule, if you are caught carrying a weapon you get it used on you.

Knife? Stabbed!

Gun? Shot!

Explosives on a plane? Well we have a chair for you to be tied to in a field - make your protest without harming innocents.

That scumbag who poured the petrol over the girl and burned her alive? You get the picture.

Prison should be something to be feared not the holiday camp it is.

It was a stupid thing to do but obviously the guy had had enough with crime in this area, handbags can be replaced, your life can't so let's not have all this "I'd do the same" pish - don't be stupid because you'll only end up leaving your children behind.

Deepest condolences to his family who'd rather have him alive than be a hero.

it funny how we slag the middle east off about there laws and where have are law got us .. fookin no where ,, chop there fookin hands off and bring back hanging

Last edited:
agree with u there mate, if we had tougher punishments people would think twice before commiting a crime, the country is starting to become a joke where we cant step out our houses without fear, cant come out the house after dark

2 years national service for all teenagers, that would sort most of them out.

While I agree with what you mean Thommo, we would then have another problem, the London Tube bombers and attempted bombers were all home grown young British Muslims, if we had national service we would have the potential to have fully military trained terrorists among us, we give these coonts to much already without training them as well ;)

While I agree with what you mean Thommo, we would then have another problem, the London Tube bombers and attempted bombers were all home grown young British Muslims, if we had national service we would have the potential to have fully military trained terrorists among us, we give these coonts to much already without training them as well ;)

i know but we cant cure all lifes troubles, help with one hand, take away with the other.
at least our boys would be prepared if action where needed, got to be better than chavs drinking and beating innocent people and the modern warfare online heroes sitting about doing nothing.

;)

Back