mail barely goes

levista

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi All,

I recently moved to a new pc and at the same exact time, moved to using thunderbird instead of outlook express and bought a new domain on the web. My isp stayed the same - AOL.

Basically, whenever i try to send mail i have an incredibly hard time doing so and i dont know why. It can easily take 20 attempts to get mail to GO! My new domain is setup to handle my outgoing mail.

Most of the time i get this message;

>>Sending of message failed.

>>The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server >>mail.mysite.com failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing SMTP >>connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is correct and try >>again, or else contact your network administrator.

But my smtp setting is correct. How do i know? Because sometimes my mail does GO!! So it cant be wrong, because eventually everything goes through it, i just have to sit for ages hitting send over and over.

Once in a while i get this message;

>>An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: >>Cannot connect to SMTP server (IP address here: port 25), connect error >>10060.

No idea what the problem is.

And very rarely I get this message;

>>An error occurred sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: >>4.3.2 (IPT:RL) Rate Limited. http://postmaster.aol.com/errors/554iptrl/html

What this has to do with my ISP i dont know. I'm not using my AOL email account in any way, and no AOL settings are in my Thunderbird mail program. My domain is just bog standard domain like anyone buys and I got a savvy mate to setup the control panel etc - he knows his stuff, he's done it loads of times but he's never seen this.

I have tried changing my port setting (complete failure) and other mail server settings but nothing improves things for me.

I madly frustrated with this, i run my own business and need to be able to get emails out in a timely manner. Please help.

check your firewall settings[may be scanning outgoing mail],also the timeout on your server can normally be adjusted

you seen if your ISP or doing any maintinece work upgrading etc?
You done a virus scan? Or you could un-install thunderbirds and go back on outlook, coz it might be conflicting with something? Sounds like their end to me, AOL

In the first instance see if you can ping the SMTP server easily.....
open a command windown a type
ping mysmtp.server.com etc
see what that gives you, you could also try doing a traceroute

Back