Low energy bulbs - not quite what they seem.

Captin

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Everyones banging on about using low energy bulbs, European legislation has already banned the manufacture and import of 100-watt incandescent bulbs. In 2011, 60-watt bulbs will go, and 40- and 25-watt bulbs will be banned by 2012.

But are eco bulbs that good?

The amount of light the menufacturers say they give off is misleading, most claim that a 10-12 watt cfl bulb is equivalent to a 60 watt normal bulb, untrue, they only have to claim the nearest equivalent of a incandescent bulbs with a soft white light, but most people use clear bulbs which are brighter. The EC recommends deviding the normal wattage by 4, so a 60watt normal bulb would be replaced by a 15watt cfl. The US say devide by 3, so a 60 watt bulb becomes a 20 watt cfl.
Also a cfl wattage is calculated at 20 degrees C but can be lower by as much as 10-20% when the cfl is warmer or colder than 20deg C, the cfl can get warmer by fitting in recesed fittings or shades.
Cfl bulbs also lose about 20% of their light output over time. None of this happens with a normal bulb.

Another thing is that they are supposed to last years, not accurate.

Whilst branded bulbs may last 10 years, but dont normally, supermarkets own brands and cheaper brands often have a shorter life.

When a batch of bulbs is tested, they are turned on for three hours, then off for 20 minutes over and over again until half the batch fails. This point in time is then decreed the average life.

It is often 10,000 hours. As no-one adds up the hours a light is on over its lifespan, this is translated as 10 years, on the assumption that the bulb will be on for an average of three hours a day.

But as half the bulbs will fail before 10,000 hours, a shopper may be unlucky enough to pick a dud that will fail after just 2,000 hours. However, the main manufacturers do their best to make bulbs that cluster around the average life mark, says the Lighting Industry Federation.

And what you do with a bulb can affect its lifespan. Continuously turning it off and on every 15 minutes, for example, will more than halve its expected lifespan.

Do they save energy, not as much as you think.

The European Commission, the Energy Savings Trust and manufacturers say CFLs use up to 80% less electricity than traditional bulbs. But it's an "up to" 80% claim. The EC says the saving can be as low as 60%.
When you see an 80% savings figure on the side of a low-energy light bulb, it doesn't actually mean that you're going to save 80% lighting energy, 80% carbon emissions, and 80% costs.
Traditional bulbs expend about 95% of their energy producing heat.
Let's say your house uses 1,000kWh a year to produce the light you use. If you were to replace all the old-fashioned light bulbs with the modern low energy lamps, you might expect an 80% reduction - 800kWh. However you'd find about 60% of that 800kWh would get automatically chucked back in by your thermostat-controlled heating system. A typical heating system is only about 75% efficient. So the actual figure you end up with is more like 240kWh a year saving, rather than the 800kWh saving you expected.

Also they contain murcury, so you cant throw them in your bin when they do blow.

Source BBC
BBC News - Why eco-light bulbs aren't what they seem

The only problem I see with them is the Mercury which is dangerous, but no more dangerous than your household tube.

They will always be thrown away though!

Old type bulbs are very high power, and very brittle in build which also leads to a very low life span.

This is great for the environment, and the branded bulbs are 33p each in homebase.

I cannot agree with the source of this story at all, I think its the stupidest story I have ever read, and just trying to scare people away from change!

If you buy certain 25W bulbs they are much brighter than normal 100W bulbs the only problem these bulbs have in my opinion is the warm up time, I have seen some take a few minutes before they reach there peak light output.

But for life which is FAR superior than normal bulbs (not perfect though), for the enviroment they are a million times better than normal bulbs if we have everyone in the country on them by 2011.

Could you imagine the power we would be saving the country if every household had a 25W bulb in place of the 100W incandescent ?

I think changing onto the fluorescent bulbs is a step in the right direction.

These spotlights are what we need to rid the household of now, whoever invented them are idiots!

6 spotlights and you are using 300watts - what a fooking retard!

I have 24 in my house and when all on the meter spins like mad!

I am not a mad green person but I do believe that this is the best way forward, and probably the best thing the government has done for a bunch of idiots!

For those of you who also have spotlights in your house there is leds that are being made but they are very lacking in brightness at the moment... the development of CREE type LEDS will change this but right now they are not affordable.

The best thing is to change to fluorescent GU10's if you have that setup (240v spots) but if like me you have LV (low voltage) transformers you will either need to convert to 240 or WAIT until the development of LEDS are better.

We will see the Fluorescent bulbs (low energy bulbs) be replaced by LEDS at one point but at the moment unless the government will develop that area and subsidise the LED technology then it will be a long time.

But we are moving in the right direction in my opinion!

Mickie

Ive got a 7w bulb in the bathroom.. it is turned on from when it gets dark up until morning.. its on 12 hours daily or maybe more..

Its 2 years old and had no problems.. apart from one of the stalks is starting to turn black...

We have the fish tank which came with the 20w tube.. we swapped it to the 7w ultra bright .. the 7w is brighter and brings out the colours in the fish allot more... the standard 20w was dull..

We dont have a single standard bulb in our house.. even the GU10s are LED.. although the GU10s take an age to warm up.. they start purple but once theyre warm theyre as bright as the 50w equivilent.. but the downside to these is you cant pin point the light..

And ive tested the bulbs and they do only use 7w as advertised.. so the statement about savings is crap..

Got to agree with Mickie. I would expect better from the BBC. There's no point sticking your head in the sand, Low Energy is the future.

(I must look out for those fluorescent spot bulbs)

All bar, 2 lights in my house are now CF, not because I am an eco warrior. Just I am pissed off paying the energy company's exorbitant amount of money. Just so they can pay themselves large bonus's.............money grabbing coonts....its better in my pocked!

i got them in all rooms except the living room, in there i have 6 spots to compensate for the energy saving ones lol

All bar, 2 lights in my house are now CF, not because I am an eco warrior. Just I am pissed off paying the energy company's exorbitant amount of money. Just so they can pay themselves large bonus's.............money grabbing coonts....its better in my pocked!

I have them in every room in the house, lamps as well but my electric bill still costs the same if not more

I've got energy saving bulbs in all my rooms and have a standard bulb in a lamp in my living room. Not too keen on the energy saving bulbs as they don't give off alot of light but they cut energy costs

I have them in every room in the house, lamps as well but my electric bill still costs the same if not more

That is impossible!

Unless when you had normal 100w incandescent that was made by alien technology to look like they was normal bulbs but they was indeed 25w. Sorry my mrs bought me the stargate DVD collections sometime it gets the better of me lol!

Joking aside your energy price must have gone up, if you had 8 x 100w bulbs before and you changed them to 8 X 25w and used them the same you would see a reduction in your bills. (that was an example ;))

You also might have bought more computers, stronger ovens. Lighting as much as it will help to reduce the wattage its probably only 10% of what your bills are made up off unless you have spots everywhere.

While its not a massive saving individually for changing to CF (compact Fluorescent) it is on a global scale.

We should care about the future - not in a clamp yourself to tree's way lol, fook that I would rather get pissed and bang on about it to my mates ;)

Who knows if this climate bollox is real or not - I don't know, but it might be and we should do what we can even if it means changing light bulbs or turning off the TV from the plug.

Mickie

Last edited:
I've got energy saving bulbs in all my rooms and have a standard bulb in a lamp in my living room. Not too keen on the energy saving bulbs as they don't give off alot of light but they cut energy costs

There are so many different types now and some give the K on the side of the box if you want natural daylight you will need something like 6300K and the higher you go the more blue it will have.

But instead of buying the same as everyone else have a look on the energy bulbs isle in homebase, B&Q etc... you will see they do many types.

Get yourself 25W one in your main rooms and the 11W in your toilets etc.

You will see they are much brighter than the 100w incandescent and you can now find the light colour you wish from the K ratings

Mickie

Thanks Mickie, will have a look. Just using the bog standard Phillips freebie 1's atm got about 20 of them that have come through the post nd just been shoved in a bag. They seem to last forever

i got a load of them free philips low energy bulbs everytime i changed supplier but had to contact them because they dont last the time they say but they replace the bulbs free of charge

edogg

I feckin hate the horrible ugly things.

We have them in the downstairs loo, so when I've been drinking and watching TV I dash to the loo in the ad break, pull the cord and by the time it start to brighten up enough to be able to see I've peed all over the floor, flushed and ready to leave.

Joking aside though, there are so many different types of light fittings that you can't always get energy saving bulbs to fit them. In the living room we have stupid halogen spot lights that keep on blowing about every month or 2, in the bedroom we have tiny halogen (I think) like LED type bulbs that you are not meant to touch in case your fingerprint damages it when it's switched on, Kitchen is big screw in type spotlights.

Perhaps if light manufacturers worked to a single fitting it would be more feasible for people to use the bulbs.

We use them here, in all fittings all bar one lamp, which is one of those poxy non standard fittings. Used them for years now, and have seen them steadily improve over the time.

Haven't bought a lightbulb in years, just use the freebies I seem to get every year from from somewhere or another! Tell a lie, I had to buy a mini screw one for the nippers lamp, which stays on all night! (Keep trying to get him out of this habit, but he ain't having a bar of it yet!)

That article is the biggest load of BS.

Also as said above, if it keeps a few quid in my pocket rather than going to the tax collectors, or the energy firms, then so much the better. :)

I've fitted my entire house with energy saver bulbs and IMO they are fooking terrible.

Dull, Dim and take AGES to get to full brightness.

Things badly need to improve, as any of the current technologies that I've bought are a poor alternative.

We have these low energy bulbs too. But I dont think they are the dogs nads as some of you think, and we have more of the expensive branded ones than the freebies. They dont last as long as they are supposed to, some of the ones we have replaced have only been 5 years old. And they dont save as much as they state, even the manufacturers admit that.

The mrs got some CFL GU10 bulbs for the kitchen, but when you turn them on to make a brew (in the eco friendly only boil 1 cupfull kettle) you have to ether wait 45 seconds to see or feel your way until they light up properly. I dont care what anyone says they are not "instant on" lights.

Most people dont even think of the earth when swapping to these bulbs, they just see pound signs and think about saving a buck or 2.

We are trying to do our bit for the enviroment, after all we have also been running cars on LPG for at least 15 years to cut down on C02.

The mrs has changed detergent, changed bog roll, changed ALL cleaning stuff, even changed where she buys clothes and the types of clothes, she shops local and buys local produce, we grow vegies too, plus a tons of other things, just to become more earth friendly.

After all it wont effect me or my children, but it will affect my grand children and their children.

I still have a mixture in my house. I have the cfl spotlights (R63) in the kitchen and are probably the best of the lot.
I have also been involved with changing GU10 lamps at work for cfl ones.
A 13W cfl GU10 will replace a 50W t/h GU10 and give similar light output, but it is a harsher light and more diffused. Also a 13W cfl GU10 is physically longer from the terminals to the front of the lamp. Depending on your type of fitting, you could end up with half an inch of lamp sticking out the end of the fitting.

We have also been replacing T8 flourescent fittings at work with T5 ones. These are much slimmer and are rated slightly lower in wattage. A 36W T8 would be replaced with a 28W T5. However, the cost of replacing the fitting as well makes in non cost effective to me, but I'm not a manager so therefore we've spent thousands of pounds to save a few quid and the odd polar bear floating on an ice cube.

Curly

I use them ones from poundland-Now you get 2 packs for £1!-(10) The first couple of days using them, yes they arent that bright, but once you let them run, they do get brighter, and we use them everywhere now, except I cant persuade my parents to use the energy saving ones in our living room seeing as though the lamp is "supposed to hold candle bulbs" I was talking to my driving instructor also about computers and I said we computer geeks have one over you car geeks(can car geeks be called geeks?) seeing as though the day the first computer was made, yes it was about power, but the manufacturer's researched the parts and brought out more efficient models. Computers are getting more and more efficient all the time, unlike cars, where companies have basically been forced to make more efficient ones because of government legislations. The same goes for lightbulbs. And which company makes these new efficient lightbulbs normally? Philips, who dont need any gov't legislations to make them research for more efficient ways that their products work

Back