Lost Slave HDD after XP reinstall Heeelp!

Moriens

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all,

Have just run into major problems after a clean install of XP Pro on my desktop machine.
The setup is:
Primary IDE - 80gb HDD master, 160gb HDD slave (both NTFS)
Secondary IDE - Nec 3500 master - Pioneer 107 slave.

I quick NTFS formatted and reinstalled XP Pro on the 80gb master HDD, and now I cannot see the 160gb drive in My Computer.

It auto detects in BIOS, and I can see it in the disk management section after right clicking My Computer.

It's shown as a dynamic volume, partition style is MBR (Master Boot Record) and its status is unreadable.
I've turned off the system, disconnected the drive, rebooted, shutdown, rebooted and it is seen by windows as an "installing new hardware" tray icon, but doesn't appear in My Computer.

This is currently the bare XP Pro version I have installed, ie with no Service Packs installed. There are no other programs installed at the mo.
I've installed the motherboard drivers etc
The disk has about 5 years worth of bits & bobs on it, so I'm loathe to reformat.
Could it have become corrupt as it is a dynamic volume?
I realise there are a multitude of data recovery suites available for the drive, but I can't help thinking there is something I'm missing.
Any help much appreciated.

Should show up if its there m8, have you removed the partition on the 160gb drive , if there is nothing on it be a good idea to re-do it from scratch, remove the none dos or dos partition (depends on file system used ntfs=none dos )using a dos boot disk and fdisk. then replace it using the dos boot disk.

You can then format and configure it in winxp management.

Take care to remove the correct one tho...ntfs wont be visible in a dos environment.

Hi Red,
cheers 4 that. Disk has about 80gb worth of files etc on it tho'
I'll move it from the primary slave to secondary master to try that.
It all seems a bit weird.
If that fails I'l try another clean install of OS and m/b drivers again, although it's unlikely that thats the problem.

Windows did not recognise my second hard disk when I put it into my new computer. Managed to make it show up by using the Disk Management utility in Control Panel - Administrative Tools - Computer Management - Disk Management. Then Right click on the second disk and select mark it as active. Problem solved. Don't know it this is the same as what you are experiencing.

The Bard said:
Hi all,

Have just run into major problems after a clean install of XP Pro on my desktop machine.
The setup is:
Primary IDE - 80gb HDD master, 160gb HDD slave (both NTFS)
Secondary IDE - Nec 3500 master - Pioneer 107 slave.

I quick NTFS formatted and reinstalled XP Pro on the 80gb master HDD, and now I cannot see the 160gb drive in My Computer.

It auto detects in BIOS, and I can see it in the disk management section after right clicking My Computer.

It's shown as a dynamic volume, partition style is MBR (Master Boot Record) and its status is unreadable.
I've turned off the system, disconnected the drive, rebooted, shutdown, rebooted and it is seen by windows as an "installing new hardware" tray icon, but doesn't appear in My Computer.

This is currently the bare XP Pro version I have installed, ie with no Service Packs installed. There are no other programs installed at the mo.
I've installed the motherboard drivers etc
The disk has about 5 years worth of bits & bobs on it, so I'm loathe to reformat.
Could it have become corrupt as it is a dynamic volume?
I realise there are a multitude of data recovery suites available for the drive, but I can't help thinking there is something I'm missing.
Any help much appreciated.

install sp2 it will then see the hdd
for some reason xp wll only see 120gb

Well done Davidh, go to the top of the class, (not that you've far to go LOL!)
I installed SP2 and like magic the drive reappeared.
Luckily I never formatted the bugger as it was seriously pi$$ing me off last night.
Cheers!

Back