Looking for new DSLR (Nikon) which one???

MOAMB

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey people,

OK im looking at upgrading my Nikon D40. Its been a great camera but i would like to upgrade it now to something a bit more mid range as the D40 is entry level.

I have been looking at them and i have looked at the D90, D5100 and top of budget D300s. Ideal i would like a bundle deal but not vital as I currently have a 18-55 and 55-200 lens and the SB800 flash so would probably use these on the new camera unless i could get the VRII 18 - 200 lens in a kit form, then i would probably sell the D40 and lens on Ebay to get bit of me money back.

I have looked on ebay but they dont go for much cheaper that new at the shop and i would probably buy new to get the 2yr warranty from Nikon

Any thoughts on what the best one is and where to get them from?

Cheers

Ray

Do the models you mention have any features over the D40 that you need or would find useful? By which I mean do you actually "need" to upgrade or are you like me and just want a new toy ;)

To be honest, as a Pentax user, I'm not really up on Nikon, but comparing the D5100, D90 and D300s, I'd actually go for one you don't mention - the D7000. However, that is because, feature wise, it is closer to my needs: 16.2 megapixels, ISO 100-25600, 1080P video, 2x SD slot, SDHC and SDXC compatible.

Have you concidered part ex-ing the D40 with Jessops, Jacobs or your local independent Nikon dealer? It'll save you ebay fees and all those "how many shutter actuations" questions. Then again if you want to get into, say, wedding photography or photojournalism having a second body is recommended, either for quickly switching between short zoom and telephoto lens or just as a backup.

For internet orders I've used Amazon, Warehouse Express and Bristol Cameras in the past without a problem. The collect-at-store facility offered by Jessops is handy as you get the web price, no delivery cost and still eligible for Quidco.

Nikon UK are running a DSLR + lens cashback offer on a selected number of models at the moment: Nikon Cashback - Current Cashback Offers

Hi mate,

Main reason I want a new body is the ISO on the D40 is 200-1600 with a HI equivilant to 3200 which is very low and really not good in low light plus I want a new toy. The D40 has been a great camera and I have done wedding photography in past and have another wedding in couple of weeks but i only do a few a year so can I justifie £1000 on a camera??? It's all about upgrading over time and think new body is my next purchase then I want to look at lens as the flash I have is already very good and cost me £250 alone.

I have also looked at the D7000 and agree it is a nice piece. So I need to make decisions. The one thing about jessops is finance. Didn't no I cud part x but I bet they won't give me as much as I wud get on eBay but thanks for idea.

Also what's quidco? I have herd of it but never used it. I'll have a quick look now. :)

Ray

Last edited:
...Main reason I want a new body is the ISO on the D40 is 200-1600 with a HI equivilant to 3200 which is very low and really not good in low light plus I want a new toy...
Looking at the D300s' ISO range it's 200-3200, but can go to Hi 1 (equiv ISO 6400) and Lo 1 (equiv ISO 100). As I'm sure you know, the problem with higher ISOs is you get more noise.
...The D40 has been a great camera and I have done wedding photography in past and have another wedding in couple of weeks but i only do a few a year so can I justifie £1000 on a camera??? ...
If you declare your wedding photography income, keep the receipt for the camera and submit it to you accountant.
...It's all about upgrading over time and think new body is my next purchase then I want to look at lens as the flash I have is already very good and cost me £250 alone...
The D300s is Nikon's current an entry level pro camera, where as the D7000 is the flagship consumer model. As such the D7000 looks the better spec on a quick side by side comparison on Warehouse Express, but I've not actually compared the full specification sheets on the Nikon website. I have a feeling the D300s may edge out for your needs once you do this, but it's then whether you feel it's worth the extra £200-300 over the D7000.
...Didn't no I cud part x but I bet they won't give me as much as I wud get on eBay but thanks for idea...
Unfortunately, the nature of the beast is they have to be able to make a profit on resale. If you sell on ebay make sure you record the serial number.
...Also what's quidco? I have herd of it but never used it. I'll have a quick look now...
Quidco is one of many cashback co-operatives. Another is topcashback.

just somthing for you to think about, the d40 is entry level so the lens you have with it will have the auto servos in the lens, the d90,d7000 etc all have auto servos in the body. the d3100 an d5100 still use lenses with servos in the lens so you could keep your lenses. if you deside on d90/d7000 etc the lens you have will still work but wont have auto focus. iv still got a d40 an when i was looking for a new body i had the same problem, i ended up getting a d5000 cheap, because the d5100 had just come out, an i could use my old lenses on it.

i hope that makes sense .

Thanks for all the information

just somthing for you to think about, the d40 is entry level so the lens you have with it will have the auto servos in the lens, the d90,d7000 etc all have auto servos in the body. the d3100 an d5100 still use lenses with servos in the lens so you could keep your lenses. if you deside on d90/d7000 etc the lens you have will still work but wont have auto focus. iv still got a d40 an when i was looking for a new body i had the same problem, i ended up getting a d5000 cheap, because the d5100 had just come out, an i could use my old lenses on it.

i hope that makes sense .

Yes it does make sense thanks. Didnt know that tho so thanks for the heads up as i was goin to buy a new body and use my current lens.

I have the D5100 and I love it :)
The quality is similar to the d7000 at a cheaper price. It does great video to if you're into that :)

Back