Local shop that has everything

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Little shop in my town Nuneaton has just about every tool you could ever need. No room at all to have a look round and you have to squeeze your way in and out but the staff knows where everything is and will bring it to you if you wish. I need something today so checked online to see if they were open and came across this fascinating little video.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Used to be a place like that near me, had all sorts of hardware. It closed but it was the type of place that had saws, pet food, hammers, model airplane kits...

I would love to have a good look round the place but it's nigh on impossible, 3 customers and you can't move for each other. Never came away empty handed though, lol.
We used to have 2 other shops here that had everything, family run but long gone now probably due to online shopping. They were Porters and the other was Watts. Some of the stuff in Watts had probably been in there more than 30 years.

I used to love going in an Ironmongers shop that used to be here Parsons and Sherwins. I'd be about 10 and accompanied by my Dad I was mesmerised by the tools, screws, nails etc; Loved the smell of sawdust and helped my Dad building sheds and pigeon lofts from an early age. Still love the look, feel and smell of wood to this day.

The one near me was called "Home and Garden", my dad was into autocross racing at some point. The shop owner at the time was also into autocross.

The thing the owner looked like a gnome.

So, as I'm sure you've guessed, his team was referred to as "Gnome and Garden" in autocross circles.

The one near me was called "Home and Garden", my dad was into autocross racing at some point. The shop owner at the time was also into autocross.

The thing the owner looked like a gnome.

So, as I'm sure you've guessed, his team was referred to as "Gnome and Garden" in autocross circles.

Got a shop near me called Home & Garden, got lots of stuff in there as well but not as much as the OP shop

@chookey , i used to work at porters as a delivery lad on the carrier bike, crackin place.
Nuneaton toolbox is my kinda shop.😁😁

I love shops like these, sadly on the decline due to the reasons @chookey mentions. Online shopping isn't big in Portugal and many shops like this still trade - albeit expensively! I always remember the ones I visited as a child smelled of paraffin.

Reminds me of the Two Ronnie's sketch

......"Do yo have have Fork handles please", "4 candles, certainly?"..."No, fork handles, handles for forks"

Back