Liverpool News

Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho believes Liverpool manager Rafa Benitez will be under increased pressure to win the Premier League title next season.
The Reds have spent around £40m on the likes of Fernando Torres and Ryan Babel to strengthen their squad this summer.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/6914970.stm

Maureen comes off with some crackers, only a few weeks ago he tried the same with Fergie...lol

I think he forgot to mention that we got a lot of money back from outgoing players and the net outlay was only around 17 million.

Mind games it is and he isnt to good at them. But he does have a point, our expectations are high this year.

Saw them and listened to Rick Parrys interview....very good. A completely different look for a footbal stadium and looks great.

got to agree Jaffa! This looks gr8 just what we need, totally different to any of the new stadiums. We need to have bagged a couple of league titles by the time this is built...

I hope that the Australians that built Wembley aren't allowed anywhere near it! Arsenal's builders have set the benchmark. Thel best news, for me, is that Gillette and Hicks seem to have genuinely stamped their mark on it, but with sympathy to the great traditions of Liverpool.
: multi :

stadium_header.jpg

Liverpool Football Club today unveiled stunning new designs for their stadium in Stanley Park, coinciding with the submission of the official planning application to Liverpool City Council.

Scheduled to open in 2010, the 60,000 seat stadium has been designed to allow for future expansion which could see the capacity increased to the high seventies dependent on improvements to the local transport infrastructure.

The central importance of the Kop has also been recognised with a hugely increased capacity to 18,000 seats in a single tier stand.

Click on an image below for a larger view

The stadium represents an investment of around £300 million by the Club in North Liverpool.

Chief Executive Rick Parry said: "It was always the aim of the Club, with the backing of Tom Hicks and George Gillett, to be world class both on and off the pitch. When they took over, the first thing Tom and George wanted to do was review the stadium both in terms of the design and the capacity. This is the immensely impressive result of their deliberations.

"We're creating a stadium that not only the Club and supporters can be proud of, but something the whole city can be proud of. Liverpool as a city is on the move and deserves world class developments like this.

"Our architects HKS have a wealth of experience and have fused a very contemporary and unique vision together with the values that are crucial to Liverpool Football Club. A critical design consideration was to ensure the stadium sat naturally within its park environment, complementing its surroundings and a huge amount of work has been done to ensure this happens. The stadium is a massive investment in North Liverpool and a key driver in the regeneration of the whole area.

"The asymmetric design sets it apart from other new stadia, as it is a clear move away from what is becoming the traditional bowl model. It recognises and makes reference to the fact that English football grounds were historically asymmetric. We make no apologies for that, we've gone out of our way to embrace that culture and it works
exceptionally well for both the new ground and its location within Stanley Park. This new design will be unmistakably Liverpool and instantly recognisable as our stadium.

"We've also recognised the central importance of the Kop. It will have a significantly increased capacity of 18,000 seats in a single tier structure that will be the heartbeat of the new stadium. The rake of the stand will be steeper and the seats tighter together, with the acoustics of the roof designed to accentuate the atmosphere during games."

Steven Gerrard said: "To be honest I knew it was going to be great but after spending five minutes looking at the plans I was just completely blown away by it. We are Liverpool Football Club and we expect the best and this will be the best. I've played in some special stadiums but this is something special and it's so important that we are not seen to be copying off another club."

Jamie Carragher added: "Everyone is excited by the new plans. They are spectacular. We've got a great stadium at the minute in Anfield, but the designers have come up with something completely unique. I've never seen a football ground like it and that's what makes it so special."

Rafa Benitez added his voice of support to the new stadium design: "The facilities the new stadium will provide are going to ensure that the future of this club is a great one and this is what our fans deserve."

Rick Parry continued: "Having thoroughly addressed the environmental and transportation issues, we already have consent for a 60,000 seat stadium which is why we have submitted the new design with that capacity. This is the most straightforward way of delivering what are radical new designs as our aspiration has always been to have the stadium ready for 2010, which means beginning work on site as soon as possible.

"But we make no secret of the fact that we want a greater capacity and will consider putting in a second planning application when appropriate. However, we fully recognise for this to happen that all the associated transport requirements need to be in place. To increase the capacity above 60,000 we need a further step change in our
approach which is why we, together with Liverpool City Council and Merseytravel, are investigating the possibility of reopening the Bootle Branch railway line for passenger use. That would be a fantastic solution, not just for the Club, but for all the people of North Liverpool."

Xabi Alonso concluded by saying: "Liverpool is famous for the atmosphere generated by its fans and from looking at the pictures I'm sure the new stadium will be just as atmospheric, if not more so. Anfield is really special, we all know that, but the new stadium will be a great one and I'm looking forward to playing there."

The new ground will also incorporate dedicated facilities for the Anfield Sport and Community Centre and Liverpool Hope University and external facilities will include tennis courts and new multi-use games area.

The unique asymmetrical design, with a huge 18,000 seat single-tier Kop at its heart, has been developed as part of the overall regeneration of Stanley Park. The West side is concave in form effectively embracing the park and providing changing facilities for those young amateur players and their parents who use the existing pitches which will be retained within the park.

The North and East facades take a convex form respectively overlooking Priory Road and Utting Avenue across gardens which will be developed in the tradition of Stanley Park. The South facade will be of completely different form, taking on a more formal appearance appropriate to its civic function at the northern edge to the new Anfield Plaza development which will replace the current ground.

The stadium will have a stone work base on the North, West and East sides with mainly glass facades above. The South side will be clad in metal and overlook the Plaza. One striking feature will see the South East and South West corners of the stadium visually open, providing views from the park deep into its heart.

Rick Parry Talks About The New Stadium

Real Media (Broadband High Only)

Windows Media (Broadband High Only)

Real Media (Broadband Only)

Windows Media (Broadband Only)

Real Media (All Users)

Windows Media (All Users)

On the transfer front...Baines has apparently rejected Sunderland. Why? He's holding out for a possible move from Liverpool. I'm sure he'll have to wait to see if the Heinze move falls through...

Rafa Hails New Leiva-pool Arrival

Mark Platt in Hong Kong 26 July 2007
LFC

110507_lucas_leiva_120_2.jpg

Rafael Benitez believes Liverpool have acquired one of world football's best young talents in Brazil under-20 captain Lucas Leiva.

The Reds boss is delighted to finally be working with the highly-rated Leiva, who this week joined up with the squad for the first time following his summer move from Gremio.

A combative box-to-box style midfielder, Leiva's signature was coveted by a host of top clubs and Benitez is backing him him to play a starring role in Liverpool's future.

The manager said: "Lucas is a young player with great experience because he has played at international level for Brazil many times. We have known about him for a long time and had to move quickly to sign him because many top clubs were interested.

"He will need to improve his English but other than that he's settled down quickly. I was away in Switzerland for the first ten days he was at the club but all the reports I received were good and he's done well in training over here.

"Lucas is not a typical Brazilian player but he's a clever player who wants the ball all the time, which is important. He will need time but I think we've signed a really excellent prospect.

"He's a player with character who works hard, can play in the holding midfield role and also get in the box to score goals. His mentality is a winning one and that's what we want here; a team of winners.

"He's one for the future but also one for this year. I've explained that he'll face tough competition for his place but that is good for us. If you want to win trophies, and by that I mean more than one a season, you have to have a bigger squad."

Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher says Chelsea present the biggest obstacle to the Premier League title coming to Anfield this season.

Manchester United have beefed up to defend their title but Carragher, 29, says Chelsea are the team to beat.

He said: "United may be champions, but Chelsea are really the ones you have to use as your yardstick.

"United are a great side and have strengthened again, but the team which finishes above Chelsea will win it."

Carragher has tasted success in Europe and domestic cup competitions but is eyeing an elusive league title as Liverpool's main ambition for 2007-08.

The Liverpool defender is aware that United could add even more firepower with the addition of Argentine striker Carlos Tevez.

He said: "Tevez would make a big difference to their chances, but hopefully they won't get him."

carra ryt as gd as united r chelsea r da team to beat, united as much as they deserved to win the league last year they were helped in more ways then one...

and i also agree with carra that were all hoping you dont get tevez lmao

Liverpool have the upper hand in their opening barclays premier fixture against aston villa, villas keeper Sorensen is injured and will miss the fixture!!!

There's still no news on Heinze. Baines is a realistic alternative, but Heinze would be the preferred option. I believe we're still waiting for Heinze's solicitor to make some progress. Utd will stall as long as possible of course.

Baines was in the Director's box for the Everton game last night. If Chiellini goes to City we'll be left with all our proverbial eggs in the Heinze basket. Not that we desperately need another left-back, but it may be the other players think we'll sign Heinze.

SHANGHAI SHENHUA 0 - 2 LIVERPOOL
Friday 03 August 2007 17:30 , Port of Rotterdam Tournament
TORRES OFF THE MARK IN REDS WIN

Liverpool's chances of rounding off their pre-season programme with silverware are still alive after Fernando Torres grabbed his first goal for the Reds in a 2-0 victory over Shanghai Shenhua in Rotterdam.

Liverpool's chances of rounding off their pre-season programme with silverware are still alive after Fernando Torres grabbed his first goal for the Reds in a 2-0 victory over Shanghai Shenhua in Rotterdam.

Rafael Benitez chose the penultimate warm-up match to hand his record signing a first start, and the 23 year old didn't disappoint with a lively display which was rewarded with a cleverly taken goal after just 12 minutes.

And skipper Steven Gerrard added a spectacular second just seconds after being introduced from the substitute's bench to secure the points.

Liverpool controlled the play almost from first minute to last and, aside from a slight first half scare when Sami Hyypia was forced to avert the danger as Soto Blanco was given a sight of goal, Benitez will be well pleased with his side's display in the energy sapping Dutch heat.

Argentinian youngster Sebastian Leto was also handed his debut after receiving permission to play from the footballing authorities, while fellow countryman Emiliano Insua was given another chance to impress on the left side of the defence.

Torres' strike was the highlight of a low key first half during which Peter Crouch also went close with a long range strike and Momo Sissoko tested the goalkeeper with a couple of long range efforts.

The goal the Reds deserved “ and the one Torres craved “ arrived after 12 minutes when the Spanish striker found space behind the back of the Shanghai defence to latch onto Yossi Benayoun's pass and clip the ball over Chen Zhang in the Chinese goal.

Ryan Babel and Steven Gerrard were introduced to the action after an hour and the captain took no time at all to stamp his mark on the match with a brilliant curling shot from outside the area into the far corner of the goal.

The local Feyenoord fans “ who a minute earlier had greeted the arrival of former Ajax man Ryan Babel with a chorus of boos “ were soon standing to join the Liverpool fans in applauding the brilliance of the skipper. It won't be the last time this season we see such a spectacular goal from our number eight.

Dirk Kuyt was afforded a real hero's welcome when he joined the action 17 minutes from time and he almost made an instant impact with a wonderful pass into the feet of Benayoun, but the Israeli took too long to get his shot away with only the goalkeeper to beat.

Shanghai may not have provided the greatest of opposition against which to test the progress of Rafa's Reds during pre-season “ but the clash with Feyenoord in two days time is sure to be a different story.

And, with a trophy at stake, victory would be the perfect tonic to take into the final week before the big kick-off at Aston Villa.

Teams
Liverpool: Martin, Insua, Hyypia (captain), Paletta, Finnan, Leto, Sissoko, Leiva, Benayoun, Crouch, Torres. Subs - Riise, Babel, Arbeloa, Gerrard, Alonso, Kuyt, Mascherano, Reina, Carragher

Shanghai Shenhua: Zhang, Xiang, Du, Weifeng (captain), Gang, Xiao, Blanco, Yu, Sun, Alonso, Jiang. Subs - Yao, Chang, Zheng, Wang, Martinez, Shengjiong, Ricard, Hui, Ke

Are any of our forwards capable of getting 20 ~ 25 goals a season to get us the league title that we want so bad. The only player I think who is going to get any goals is the one and only Stevie G. I hope the forwards prove me wrong !!!

I think we definately need cover on the left back spot. Risse is good going forward, but he is not the greatest when it comes to defending.

I don't believe it's necessary for a winning team to have a headline-grabbing, prolific striker. Rafa's philosophy is to have goals coming from the whole team. He sets every player goal targets for each season, including defenders. I can see Torres getting 15-ish, Crouch getting 15-ish, Gerrard getting 15-ish, plus contributions from six or seven other players at least. I know what you're saying LukeS, but I feel happier with our squad than I have done for years.

Back