Liverpool News

Reds Coast To Friendly Win At Crewe

match-0707-crewe-04.jpg
CREWE ALEXANDRA 0 - 3 LIVERPOOL
Saturday 14 July 2007 15:00 , Friendly

Liverpool will head off on their annual training camp to Switzerland next week on the back of a second successive pre-season victory as goals from Lee Peltier, Peter Crouch and Ray Putterill gave the Reds a comfortable 3-0 win at League One side Crewe.

Peltier and Crouch struck within a three minute spell in the first half while Putterill added a further goal after the break to seal an emphatic success at the Alexandra Stadium.

While new signings Fernando Torres, Yossi Benayoun and Ryan Babel are still waiting for their club debuts, Ukrainian striker Andriy Vorinin impressed during his first appearance in a red shirt and looked strong and sharp during his 45 minutes on the field.

Inspired by Steven Gerrard from the midfield, the Reds controlled the opening exchanges and could have been ahead as early as the fourth minute when the skipper took Voronin's pass in his stride and curled a delightful left footed shot which crashed back off the crossbar.

Liverpool's dominance was eventually rewarded after 21 minutes when Voronin saw a powerful close range drive parried out by Ben Williams, but the Crewe goalkeeper had no answer to Lee Peltier's follow-up shot which was drilled hard and low into the back of the net.

Peter Crouch added a second just three minutes when he was quickest to react to John Arne Riise's cross and expertly flicked the ball beyond the reach of Williams into the far corner.

Nicky Maynard had a chance to pull a goal back for Crewe when he charged through before clipping the ball wide, but it was a rare attack for the home side who spent much of their time trying to repel Liverpool attacks.

Gerrard almost embarrassed Williams with a 60 yard shot which was heading for goal before the Crewe number one got across his goal to hold while Riise came within inches of adding a third with a trademark left footed drive which rebounded off the post and away to safety.

Rafael Benitez changed all eleven players at half time but the pattern of the game didn't alter as Liverpool continued to ask all the questions.

Youth Cup hero Ray Putterill added the Reds' third of the afternoon after 58 minutes with a well placed shot from the edge of the area.

Fellow youth star Craig Lindfield should have added his name to the scoresheet eight minutes later when Dirk Kuyt's clever left wing cross left him with a free sight of goal, but he glanced his effort well wide of the target.

Xabi Alonso almost smashed home a spectacular fourth goal in the closing stages of the match but the Crewe goal survived as the ball flew inches wide.

With two warm up wins now behind them, Werder Bremen and Auxerre lie in wait next week for the Reds as they take their new season preparations to the next level in Switzerland - but it's so far so good for Rafa's new look squad as we continue to gear up for the real action next month.

Teams

Liverpool: Reina, Riise, Hyypia, Roque, Finnan, El Zhar, Peltier, Spearing, Gerrard MBE, Crouch, Voronin (captain). Subs - Agger, Kuyt, Paletta, Putterill, Carragher, Martin, Lindfield, Pennant, Arbeloa, Alonso, Sissoko

Crewe Alexandra: Williams, McCready, Cox, Jones, O'Donnell, Baudet, Carrington, Schumacher, Maynard, Lowe, Roberts. Subs - Tomlinson, Pope, Bopp, Lynch, Moore, Bailey, Thomas, Stones, Daniel, Bailey, Williams

Referee: Scott Mathieson

Conditions: Warm

Attendance: Unknown

Liverpoolfc.tv Man-of-the-Match: Andriy Voronin

Breakdown

14:05 GMT : Match Starts
14:12 GMT : Match Starts
1 min : Crewe Alexandra get the game underway
3 mins : Gerrard hits the bar with a sublime left-foot curler from 20 yards
6 mins : Riise mis-times challenge midway inside his own half but Gerrard heads clear the resulting free-kick
8 mins : Newboy Voronin shows fighting spirit with excellent challenge to win possession deep inside Crewe's half
11 mins : El Zhar ticked off for late challenge near halfway line
11 mins : Peltier sends inviting cross but Crouch is just beaten to it. The resulting corner comes to nothing
18 mins : Roque clears the danger with a superb tackle inside Reds box after Crewe carve out their first opening
21 mins : GOAL! Lee Peltier: Peltier fires home from close range after Voronin has volley saved
24 mins : GOAL! Peter Crouch: Crouch tucks home Riise's excellent low cross
26 mins : Nicky Maynard dips ball over Reina after finding himself one-on-one but the ball goes wide
28 mins : Riise hits the post with fierce effort from the edge of the box
31 mins : Williams parries Gerrard's right-foot effort but there's no one in a red shirt to capitalise
32 mins : Crouch forces Williams into an easy save with a soft header from six yards
39 mins : Gerrard tries 60 yards blast but there's not enough power to take it over Williams
42 mins : Voronin tees up El Zhar after mazy run but the youngster's 30-yard stinger sails over the crossbar
14:47 GMT : Half Time Reached
46 mins : Substitution: Stuart Tomlinson for Ben Williams:
46 mins : Substitution: Tom Pope for Chris McCready:
46 mins : Substitution: Byron Moore for Billy Jones:
46 mins : Substitution: Eugen Bopp for Neil Cox:
46 mins : Substitution: Colin Daniel for Danny O'Donnell:
46 mins : Substitution: Greg Stones for Julien Baudet:
46 mins : Substitution: James Bailey for Mark Carrington:
46 mins : Substitution: Ryan Lynch for Steven Schumacher:
46 mins : Substitution: Owain Williams for Nicky Maynard:
46 mins : Substitution: Jomo-Faal Thomas for Ryan Lowe:
46 mins : Substitution: Matthew Bailey for Gary Roberts:
46 mins : Substitution: David Martin for Pepe Reina:
46 mins : Substitution: Gabriel Paletta for Steve Finnan:
46 mins : Substitution: Daniel Agger for Sami Hyypia:
46 mins : Substitution: Alvaro Arbeloa for John Arne Riise:
46 mins : Substitution: Jermaine Pennant for Lee Peltier:
46 mins : Substitution: Xabi Alonso for Steven Gerrard MBE:
46 mins : Substitution: Ray Putterill for Nabil El Zhar:
46 mins : Substitution: Jamie Carragher for Miki Roque:
46 mins : Substitution: Momo Sissoko for Jay Spearing:
46 mins : Substitution: Dirk Kuyt for Peter Crouch:
46 mins : Substitution: Craig Lindfield for Andriy Voronin:
15:05 GMT : Second Half Begins
46 mins : Kuyt and Lindfield get the second half underway
50 mins : Pennant tries to thread Carragher through after excellent footwork but the pass is too heavy
52 mins : Alonso tries 50-yard punt but it goes well wide
52 mins : Crewe win corner after Paletta interception but the chance breaks down following an offside flag
54 mins : Surging run from Sissoko but the
54 mins : Surging run from Sissoko but the
54 mins : Surging run from Sissoko but his 25-yard shot trickles well wide
57 mins : Poor communication between Agger and Martin nearly lets Crewe forward in but the young keeper keeps his head to gather
58 mins : GOAL! Ray Putterill: Youth Cup hero Putterill makes it three with a low strike from 20 yards
66 mins : Lindfield sends tame shot wide after superb ball from Kuyt down the left
75 mins : Alonso hits fine effort narrowly wide from edge of the box after corner
77 mins : Kuyt works his way into shooting position on edge of the box but fires beyond the post
80 mins : Carra tries his luck from 30 yards but the ball ends up well in the stands
82 mins : Lindfield beaten to the ball after Carragher cross but Reds win a corner
83 mins : Paletta heads over from corner
15:51 GMT : Match Over

Voronin could be a surprise package this season...

Dudek set to sign for Real Madrid

Jerzy Dudek, hero of Liverpool's 2005 Champions League win, will sign for Spanish champions Real Madrid.

The same Dudek who didn't want to sit on the bench at Liverpool? It's a good offer though, I'd take it!

still don't understand him, he said he was moving to get regular footy so he could retain his place in the polish national squad, at madrid, hes gonna be second choice again, so why not stay, and its a free transfer!

We've got:
LB - Riise, Aurelio
RB - Finnan, Arbeloa
CB - Carra, Hyppia, Agger, Paletta
plus some teenagers.

It looks pretty evenly spread, so who do you think's the weak link?

Maybe we're after a left-back after all (Leighton Baines?). Sven is after Riise now, but with Aurelio injured I'm not sure Rafa would let him go, at least until Aurelio's fit. I don't think he'd be happy putting Agger out there either.

Reports suggest we're after a left-sided defender who plays for Italy U21s...worth about £6m.

Yossi Benayoun, Fernando Torres, Ryan Babel and 19-year-old Bulgarian keeper Nikolay Mihaylov could all make their Liverpool debuts tonight after being named on the bench to face Werder Bremen.
All could feature in the second-half, though an ankle injury is likely to prevent Torres playing a full 45 minutes.

Scott Carson, who featured for England in the European Under-21 Championships earlier in the summer, makes his return to action after being named in Rafa's starting 11.

The team in full is: Carson, Finnan, Hyypia, Paletta, Riise, El Zhar, Hobbs Pennant, Gerrard, Voronin, Crouch. Subs: PR, NM, SD, JC, DA, AA, YB, MS, XA, DK, FT, RB.

any news on heinze deal yet?

I've heard nothing substantial other than paper-talk about Heinze. It's been decades since anyone moved from ManUre to Liverpool so I wouldn't hold your breath.

BTW Good pub quiz question: Who is it that, in recent years, has played for City, United, Liverpool and Everton?

There are rumours about Kewell going abroad, but I wouldn't take much notice. Would we sell Zenden, Gonzalez and Kewell, who all play in a position where good players are hard to find? We've got Babbel there who comes inside and Kewell who goes outside...just the way Rafa likes it.

I know there's no such thing as a first team and backup team with Rafa but here are two teams (in no particular order):

Reina
Riise
Carra
Agger
Finnan
Kewell
Mascherano
Gerrard
Pennant
Kuyt
Torres

Carson
Aurelio
Hyppia
Paletta
Arbeloa
Babbel
Sissoko
Alonso
Benayoun
Crouch
Voronin

I've effectively put Gerrard in the centre of midfield because it's a hobby horse of mine, but of course there's a few players there that can play in more than one position. There are also some decent fringe players that haven't been used at all.

Rafa said he wanted two good players for every position and I think he's achieved it. Maybe there won't be any more buys this summer after all. There are few doubts about the quality of those players. Well done Rafa, you're a top class manager and coach, just like we thought you were!
8)

As I understand it, the latest is that:
1) Athletico Madrid and Liverpool have agreed about £20m + Luis Garcia for Torres. They may still be discussing personal terms.
2) The offer is still on the table for Tevez, but nothing will happen until West Ham know for sure which league they'll be playing in next season. There is the possibility of a 'loan with option to buy' deal.
3) Mancini is still first choice over Simao, but that's still ongoing.
4) Benayoun is putting pressure on his bosses to accept Liverpool's offer, if they haven't already.
5) Parry is looking at making an offer for Quaresma (scored for Porto against Chelski).
6) Leighton Baines is a possible left back target from Wigan, especially if someone bids big for Riise.
7) Cisse's probably staying at OM, Bellamy is going to Villa or some other medium-sized English club and Gonzalez is likely to go to Spain.

I know there are lots of other rumours, but I think the above are more based in fact. I don't mind being corrected of course, if someone's got genuine inside information...

It's a amazing how quickly things have happened. The above post was from two weeks ago, and since then:
1) Luis Garcia has gone to Athletico and Torres has come to Liverpool.
2) Utd tapped-up Tevez for a permanent deal which would make more money for Kia than our proposed loan, and we wanted Eto'o, Torres OR Tevez.
3) Roma wouldn't let Mancini go and Porto still wouldn't let Simao go for a reasonable price so we, very quickly, signed Babbel, saving ourselves £3-5m.
4) The Benayoun deal went through, due to said pressure by Yossi and his agent.
5) Quaresma isn't out of the question still, but I think we're okay now in his position.
6) Someone did bid for Riise (Sven), but Rafa's decided he's still got the passion to play at the top level after some good pre-season work.
7) Cisse did stay at OM and Bellamy did go to a medium-sized English club (Villa this week bought Harewood as they were outbid for Bellamy).

Last edited:
Real seal Dudek swoop

By James Pearson - Created on 20 Jul 2007
Sky Sports

dudek_sat.jpg

Real Madrid have completed the capture of former Liverpool keeper Jerzy Dudek on a free transfer.

The 34-year-old has moved to the Bernabeu on a two-year deal after six seasons at Anfield.

Dudek passed a routine medical on Friday to become Iker Casillas' new back-up following Diego Lopez's exit to Villarreal.

The Polish shot-stopper, who is Real's fourth summer signing, is looking forward to giving everything he can to manager Bernd Schuster.

"When they offered me the chance to come to Real Madrid I thought that was a great opportunity, a fantastic team," he told the club's official website.

"I think the Madrid people wanted my experience and now I pledge to give everything that I am worth for the team."

Although Dudek will be second choice at Real, the experienced keeper has no qualms with waiting in the wings behind Casillas.

"In principle I'll be Casillas' back-up. Logically it's a difficult situation for me but we all have our ambitions," he continued.

"I don't believe that there'll be any problems. It is good that there'll be a little pressure so that everyone tires to improve. I am used to this situation."

Riise wants new Reds deal

By Lewis Rutledge - Created on 19 Jul 2007
Sky Sports

riise_plane.jpg

John Arne Riise is looking to stay at Liverpool for the rest of his career and has been working hard since the end of last season to press for a new contract.

Rafa Benitez has been very active in the transfer market and has been linked with a move for Manchester United left-back Gabriel Heinze.

Riise admits the threat of new players has prompted him to stay sharp during the summer.

He knows the Liverpool side could have a different look to it this season but is determined not to be one of the players to make way for a new face.

"There have been a lot of rumours lately about new people coming to the club, so you know you need to step up a level," the Norwegian told the Liverpool Echo.

"I've been working out during the summer because I wanted to show the manager I was fit and raring to go.

"Of course I've read the stories about possible signings, but you expect to hear a club like Liverpool is looking to bring in new players.

"So far I've enjoyed a good six years so I hope I've done more right than wrong during that time.

"I've been involved in more or less every game and I want that to continue. I want to finish my career here. Everyone knows that and there's nothing I'd like more than to sign a long-term contract.

"Nothing has happened on that, but there's no rush because I understand the club has been very busy signing new players."

Riise scored a superb goal in the pre-season friendly against Werder Bremen on Tuesday, while Andrei Voronin impressed with a brace and Fernando Torres made his debut.

And Riise has been encouraged by what he has seen from Liverpool's latest signings in pre-season.

He said: "The new boys have performed well. It's great for Voronin to have a couple of goals and Fernando Torres looked sharp when he came on against Werder Bremen.

"I enjoyed my goal in that game too."

Back