Liverpool Fans only section

bod

Inactive User
Reaction score
Gerrard downplays Zidane praise

Gerrard has drawn plaudits for his recent performances
Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard has played down the view of former France captain Zinedine Zidane that he is the best footballer in the world.
The 28-year-old England midfielder told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I was flattered, but took the comments with a pinch of salt.
"I'm really happy with my form but I don't think I'm the best; not at all."
Zidane made the claim after a Gerrard brace helped dump the Frenchman's former club, Real Madrid, out of the Champions League.
The 5-0 aggregate defeat of the nine-time European Cup winners prompted the World Cup-winning playmaker to lavish praise on the player he described as an "inspiration".
606: DEBATE
Your thoughts on Gerrard
"Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of [Lionel] Messi and [Cristiano] Ronaldo but, yes, I think he just might be," Zidane said.
"He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that - players like him are just born with that presence."
Liverpool's progress to the Champions League quarter-finals prompted further victories in domestic competition, in which Gerrard again played a prominent role.
Is he the best in the world? Yes, I think he just might be

French great Zinedine Zidane
He scored in the Reds' 4-1 defeat of Premier League title-rivals Manchester United at Old Trafford, before bagging a hat-trick in a 5-0 rout of Aston Villa at Anfield.
Despite such scintillating form and his position as second-highest scorer in the division with 13 goals, the Whiston-born international said there are many rivals for the title of the world's best player.
"I think it's difficult to say who is the best, I like watching players like Messi, Ronaldo. We're lucky to have so many top players who are a pleasure to watch, so it's difficult to put your finger on one," he said.
However, one criticism levelled at Gerrard throughout his career is that, despite proving a world-class performer for his club, he has often failed to translate such form onto the international stage with England.
"I am aware that I do need to be consistent for my country and to try and reproduce my Liverpool form. But I think since the new manager has come in my form has improved," he said.
"It was frustrating to miss the last two games but I scored in my last outing and helped set up a couple of goals, so I was pleased.
"It's very important to perform well for both this club and England - the idea is to finish the season strongly with Liverpool and then to be successful as we go into the World Cup year.
"Hopefully we'll qualify as I'd love nothing better than to have a fantastic World Cup and to perform on such a stage."

I must apologise if thats too much for u mancs to take in all at once:grab:

just for the record...

Can't really compare the likes of Stevie G with Ronaldo and Messi.

Completely different players. Though, in my opinion Gerrard is the best Central midfielder in the world. He performs consistently every season and makes Liverpool a better side.

Ronaldo had a very good season last year and deserves the accolades but he's nowhere to be seen this season and I'm hard pressed to think when he has shone against the top teams in the world. He does well against the lesser teams not so good against the top teams.

Gerrardkissass.jpg

What's happened ? Did liverpool win the Title or something. No !! Reality check...Calm down, Calm down... The Famous [EVIL]Manchester United[/EVIL] are still Top

liverpool-1.gif

Ronaldo had a very good season last year and deserves the accolades but he's nowhere to be seen this season

Ahem try the premier top scorers section

1 Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 15
2 Steven Gerrard Liverpool 13
3 Cristiano Ronaldo Man Utd 13
4 Peter Crouch Portsmouth 11

Shouldn't have sold ^^^ that lanky streak either imo

For me the best player in the world at present is Messi not Gerrard and not Ronaldo!

Ronaldo was the best last season now its Lionel Messi no doubt. Another thing is Ronaldo has the ability to be the best player in the World but sorry for me Gerrard will never be the best player in the world no chance i rate Kaka, Xavi and few others higher then him. Firstly Gerrard isn't the best in the league so to say best in the World is ridiculous honestly!

If anyone is saying Gerrard is the best in the World please move it to the fun and laughter section please lol!

I have never seen Gerrard perform consistently on the international stage like some of the names i mentioned he just isn't the best those who talk about his recent goal scoring how many have come from the spot?

Thats my opinion

Done

For me the best player in the world at present is Messi not Gerrard and not Ronaldo!

Ronaldo was the best last season now its Lionel Messi no doubt. Another thing is Ronaldo has the ability to be the best player in the World but sorry for me Gerrard will never be the best player in the world no chance i rate Kaka, Xavi and few others higher then him. Firstly Gerrard isn't the best in the league so to say best in the World is ridiculous honestly!

If anyone is saying Gerrard is the best in the World please move it to the fun and laughter section please lol!

I have never seen Gerrard perform consistently on the international stage like some of the names i mentioned he just isn't the best those who talk about his recent goal scoring how many have come from the spot?

Thats my opinion

Done
pot kettle and black come to mind

how many pens did your world beater score last yr

and for me to be the best footballer in the world you have to be an all rounder
gerrard can play defence middfield and attack
now where can all the others play

So what you saying Pele, Maradonna, Zidane and many others are not greats because they couldn't defend they were out and out attackers!

Messi currently the best in my opinion isn't exactly known for his defensive work he is there to run at people and attack!

Dave Gerrard has hardly ever produced a world class display for England till he can play cosistently for both club and country he won't even get close to being the best player in the world.

Michael Essien is a great player he can defend and he can attack do you think he is the best player in the world as he is an all rounder?

I reckon your answer is NO so your point isn't valid in my opinion sorry but it doesn't justify!

look at the recent players who have won the player of the world award they hardly help in defense

Ronaldhinio
Kaka
Ronaldo

not many penalties as he never earned them,heres a place your stevie would be best suited playing

gerrard3.jpg

Firstly mate, thanks for sorting out my account so I could use it again. Its really appreciated. Feel free to delete my pi-maani account as that was a last resort to get back on here.

May be the one and only time a liverpool fan helps out a man u fan but there you go.

And to answer your question in regards to ronaldo, I'm pretty sure the answer is 6 (4 in the league derby, arses, toffees & wigan, 1 in CL agent Kiev and 1 in FA Cup against Spurs). I may not have that exactly right, but you subtract that from how many others he scored and what does that leave you mate? Alot of non penalty goals,, oh the conspiracy.

And yes to be the best "footballer" in the world should mean a player has alot of all round skill and ability, but I wouldnt necessarily agree be able to play all or various positions. The best footballer is now recognised as someone who plays his given position better than anyone else and adapts his position to help his team win games.

Lets face in the current climate, an attacking midfielder or striker are the only people likely to win it. But in most cases an attacking midfielder.

Is Gerrard the best footballer in the world according to my definition, sorry nope. Is Messi without doubt? And as for Mr Ronaldo, did anyone ever think he could re create the form from last season, that was an exceptional season by anyones standards.

As a typical Man U fan, I'm sure I will be slated for this. But being kicked a zillion times a game, starting the season with an injury and having the most ridiculous transfer saga over the summer is hardly going to help him this season. But yes he's a professional and should know better. But I play football and if someone kicked me about like he was week in week out then I certainly wouldnt keep myself under control.

As I wasnt here for the abuse from the liverpool fans when you hammered us, feel free to abuse away. Still think we will make our way to the title, just not as easily as I first thought. UNITED! UNITED! UNITED!

Theres a surprise, I wouldnt expect a manc to admit that a liverpool player is the best in the world at the moment but i think i would take the opinion of one of the most respected players in the world over yours .

Theres a surprise, I wouldnt expect a manc to admit that a liverpool player is the best in the world at the moment but i think i would take the opinion of one of the most respected players in the world over yours .

He's not though is he Messi is and he's scored 19 goals this season from midfield Gerrards got 13 thats 2 less than Ronaldo who's apparently having a stinker !!!

1 Nicolas Anelka Chelsea 15
2 Cristiano Ronaldo Man Utd 15
3 Steven Gerrard Liverpool 13

Back