Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Liverpool Breaking News

RAB - P

VIP Member
VIP Member
New England Sports Ventures are set to complete their takeover of Liverpool after the club's co-owners removed the restraining order blocking any sale.

Tom Hicks and George Gillett accepted defeat in their bid to prevent a sale to New England Sports Ventures (NESV), but say they will pursue £1bn damages.

NESV, the board's choice as Liverpool's new owners, will hope to complete their £300m purchase of the club on Friday.

But Hicks and Gillett will "pursue every legal avenue" to claim damages.

The co-owners had lifted the restraining order blocking the club's sale earlier on Friday, but not so that the current board could complete a deal with NESV.

Hicks was believed to be negotiating the sale of his shares with US hedge fund Mill Financial, who already own Gillett's shares after he defaulted on a £75m loan from RBS in August.

But the Premier League rejected Mill's requests to undergo a fit and proper person test on Thursday, saying it could only negotiate with the Liverpool board.

The board - comprising chairman Martin Broughton, managing director Christian Purslow and commercial director Ian Ayre as well as Hicks and Gillett - had already accepted a bid from NESV by three votes to two for them to become the club's new owners.

NESV, who own the Boston Red Sox baseball team in the United States and are owned by John W Henry, will now gain control over the Anfield outfit.

But Hicks and Gillett, who gave up hope of holding on to Liverpool at a court in Dallas on Friday, say they will sue for at least £1bn for an "extraordinary swindle".

Steve Stodghill, the Texas attorney representing Hicks and Gillett, added: "This outcome not only devalues the club but it also will result in long-term uncertainty for the fans, players and everyone who loves this sport because all legal recourses will be pursued.

"Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett pledged to pay the debt to RBS so that the club could avoid administration that was threatened by RBS. That offer was rejected.

"It is a tragic development that others will claim as a victory. This means it won't be resolved the way it should be resolved.

"My clients worked tirelessly to resolve these issues but RBS would not listen to any reasonable solution and the directors acted selfishly and illegally. Mr Hicks and Mr Gillett wanted to position this club for the future, but others have a different agenda.

"In truth, there is nothing positive from these events for Liverpool Football Club. That is exactly the opposite of what my clients wanted to achieve."

BBC Sport - Football - US company NESV set to announce purchase of Liverpool

Time to celbrate now it is on the LFC website.

At the start of this I did feel sorry for Hicks and gillette as they had apparently lost 140 million on the deal, but after their shenanigans they can blow me

OUT WITH THE YANKS

IN WITH THE YANKS

pmsl

Yeah a mate of mine bought a shitload of yanks go home banners when it appeared that a chinese guy was gonna buy LFC.

He is now trying to alter them to.

Yanks go, home wins needed.

I would just like to wish all the Liverpool fans the best,

I really hope this new owner works out and invests in your team and they can get back to where they belong,

even if that is chasing us lol

Good luck guys :)

:( i was hoping for them to go into administration

lol...

im happy for lpool to be in the premiership as long as they dont win anything and we keep on beating them lol...

otherwise no banter really... there's more banter with the lpool fans for me then there is with shitty/le'arse/chelski....

now to get rid of our wanks............ oooops sorry i meant yanks ;)

Well I certainly hope you mancs don't have to go through what we have been through recently, it has totally de-stabilised the team, my work has suffered, my relationship has suffered, I have been unable to sleep properly, and even now that I know that we are not going out of business, (because that is what the owners could have done) I am not at ease yet.

Martin Broughton is up there with Shanks, for what he has done, he is the most significant newcomer to our club since Bill Shankly arrived.

LoL all that anti-american crap and in come more americans, and its time to celebrate?

As for Hicks and Gillett well i dont give a damn bout them, they are businessmen and business can be risky, they knew that and should have been prepared to get bit. But I wouldn't be surprised if some of their claims on the Liverpool board are true, especially on the money front. All the guys at the very top are always in it for the money and themselves, they dont give a damn about the clubs they "run"

"Rafa never wanted to take accountability for his own results. He would blame the owners. Alex Ferguson doesn't do that at Manchester United," he commented. This comment from Hicks is totally true. I do feel bit sorry for the ex-owners because the blame has completely been put on them. I just dont understand some Liverpool fans defending Rafa, he played a part in the situation that Liverpool found themselves in

I'm just waiting for the date when part Man United's debt needs to be repaid, it's 3 times larger than Liverpool's was/is and I just cannot see where that cash is going to come from

Last edited:
Wouldnt even mention Broughton in the same breath as Shankly and lets be honest he needed to make a name for himself in the club (being a Chelsea fan) and that he did quite well. If any of what Hicks claims is true about the board blocking the refinancing then surely the board was already in nesv's pockets. Im sure this group will come in making a lot of noise but not once have i heard mention of funds ? Very odd for a takeover !! Out of the frying pan into the frying pan ?
As for utd thats a totally different proposition, yanks ?..Yes .. 300 million ... You wouldnt get our fookin bogs for that. The club is already valued at over a billion and it's rumoured it will take in the region of 2 billion to shift the Glaziers scabby arses. The up side for utd is that it still the most profitable club in the world, it remains to be seen if that profit margin can sustain the interest on the glacier loans.

We can only wait and see what will happen, after all, when H&G took over that was supposed to be the new dawn.

Henry said he is not going to make any false promises and things will have to be looked into very carefully, then decided on. The difference between NESV and H&G is that H&G borrowed money to buy the club, then couldnt pay it back and had to constantly refinance the deal with the bank...NESV just bought the club.

Man U is NOT the most profitable club, they may have the most income but they lost 80+million last year so therfore did not make a profit.

I am very optimistic about NESV being the owners, as for Broughton...I don't like him, I am sure he has been paid well for getting a buyer for the club. He won't be remembered in years to come and shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence as Shanks.

Man U is NOT the most profitable club, they may have the most income but they lost 80+million last year so therfore did not make a profit.
The club itself made a substancial profit as it will continue to do so. It's the interest payable by the parent company "red football venture" that swallow the club profits.
But you knew what i mean :proud:

The club itself made a substancial profit as it will continue to do so. It's the interest payable by the parent company "red football venture" that swallow the club profits.
But you knew what i mean :proud:

Yes I knew what you meant but just wanted to point out that even though the club makes sustantial income...at the end of the year, it made a big loss.

Yes I knew what you meant but just wanted to point out that even though the club makes sustantial income...at the end of the year, it made a big loss.

Yea thanks for that

You big gay ;)

Just what the toffees ordered the very week of the derby, a Liverpool side being begged to perform for the new yanks. Poor Everton they never have any fookin luck.

We can only wait and see what will happen, after all, when H&G took over that was supposed to be the new dawn.

Henry said he is not going to make any false promises and things will have to be looked into very carefully, then decided on. The difference between NESV and H&G is that H&G borrowed money to buy the club, then couldnt pay it back and had to constantly refinance the deal with the bank...NESV just bought the club.

I am very optimistic about NESV being the owners, as for Broughton...I don't like him, I am sure he has been paid well for getting a buyer for the club. He won't be remembered in years to come and shouldnt be mentioned in the same sentence as Shanks.

So do you believe that if Broughton hadn't stood up to the yanks and refused to allow them to re-finance the club or allow it to go into administration that everything would be ok?

We are currently in a relegation battle and the way that we are playing means we will struggle to get out of it.
A nine point deduction would have made life a lot tougher, and it would have taken longer for the team to get clear of the zone ( if we do).

If they had re-financed Torres would be off in January maybe Gerrard and Reina as well.
We would have no funds to bring players in, and I really believe we would have been in a Leeds situation.

H and G just wanted to keep the club until the next TV deal was announced so that they could sell it for more than they got (which was f*ck all).

The owners have now gone which has taken away the players excuse, if they were still here they would always have that excuse.

So do you believe that if Broughton hadn't stood up to the yanks and refused to allow them to re-finance the club or allow it to go into administration that everything would be ok?

I believe he did the job he was put there for...to sell the club, he is a smart buisness man and made sure everything was in place so H&G couldn't scupper any deals. They thought he was on their side but he wasn't, he was on the side of selling the club and getting rid of the debt against it.

He is a buisnessman and did a good job but wont be remembered and revered like Shanks.

Back