Linux Linux newb questions

rawsy

DW F1 Champ 2010, 14, 19, 20 and 22
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi all and happy new year.

I am hoping for some advice on my first proper use of Linux.

I have a pc that I use as a media server as well as for Kodi and all my Usenet downloads.

Could someone recommend the following for me please
What version of Linux
What antivirus
What Usenet client (currently news leecher but I believe it's Windows only)

Would I have any driver issues? My graphics card is an old nvidia GeForce 210 and the mobo is a asus P5W DH Deluxe

Thanks for your time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I've been using Linux Mint for about 4 months now and it's fast and more user friendly, the desktop look similar to window.
Ubuntu come with 5 years anti virus and a bit slower to run than Mint that if you have an older PC. They normally come with drivers ready loaded and if you have any issue you just go to their forum, there are plenty of help there. I must say it took me a while to get my wireless printer to work.

I'm currently trying out the mint with a full install on USB with a 64gb SanDisk cruzer. Did a bit of reading on it and it sounds good. I like the fact it'll be on my keys lol.

Sent from my SGP311 using Tapatalk

Yep I'm enjoying using it. I'm just finding my way round it and I'm regretting not making time years ago to do this.

Definitely give a few of them a try. You can use a LiveCD and not have to install over the disk.

I use Ubuntu and CentOS a lot. Had a problem with Ubuntu 14.04LTS on some older hardware. Went back to 12.04.5LTS and video problems went away.

I use Linux Mint with Mate desktop in my office. Before this I used Ubuntu which is a good option too, but I don't like the Ubuntu Desktop (Unity). A good Usenet client is Ninan, which has a web interface.

Last edited:
What version of Linux
What antivirus
What Usenet client (currently news leecher but I believe it's Windows only)

You have nvidia so you won't have problems with drivers in linux, sure.

If you only like a distribution to install kodi, you can install some light distro, like openelec, kodibuntu. If you like best performance you might have to choose debian (but it's a bit more difficult to daily use). And if you like to use it as a desktop+kodi, mint or ubuntu.

I never use antivirus with linux (and I don't now if it exists), if you mean a windows antivirus you can put AVG Free
I don't use usenet so that maybe other person can tell you something about that

Back