LED Slight Glow with the light switched off

AJT

Staff member
Reaction score
Here's a question for an electrician or knowledgable person..
I changed all my home lighting bulbs to LED ones but in some rooms with the lights turned off the bulbs remain lit slightly constantly ..almost like night lights.

Re: [DOWNLOAD] C&G 2394-302 past exam mock paper 1

It is because LED can operate at extremely low voltages.

I would guess the driver inside the LED GU10 is letting some voltage through (ebay bulbs?), or getting some electrical interference from say the socket cables running close to the lighting circuit.

Try another bulb see if that still happens.

Mick

I swapped bulbs but still the same..I got the bulbs from Amazon.
As it happens it's not that much of a hassle as one is in the hall so it's slightly lit at night..
I think the bulbs were called mini sun.

Try this, turn off the sockets or other power for that floor whilst the light is switched off and glowing slightly? note down the results

Then try and turn off that circuit from the breaker also see if that kills the Dim Glow mate.

I found this problem with certain bulbs in the past, they would also random flash.

Regards
Mick

Moved it here @AJT

Hopefully might be useful for someone else with the same issue.

Last edited:

probably induced voltage. its a good sign that the cables you have installed for the LEDS, including the 2-way switching cabling, is not properly earthed.

Try putting one of the original bulbs back in one only and see if the power drops. If that Fails try another light switch.

I've changed my hall lights for the led bulbs, they are on a double switch for the upstairs and downstairs, they glow when "off" just like yours.
I have accepted it as normal as many others have said they experience the same.

I still think it's the bulb, but don't want to make people feel bad about there lamps.

Low quality driver inside the bulb top (close to where the gu10 pins are)

The Actual LED will be driven by extra low voltage range! By the transformer (driver)

Also the problem is our AC incoming 50hz, when the GU10 bulb driver is of low quality it does not filter out the AC completely into the DC needed. This causes stroboscopic effect - which in commercial environments can be dangerous (ie a motor running at 50hz operating at the same flickering of the led lighting - you can't see the motor moving)

So if your GU10 led flickers it will be a sign of poor quality

One really good test is to wave a ruler below the light if you see choppy movement it's likely it's flickering (you just can't see it - it's so fast). If it looks like a ruler waving, it's probably a good bulb :)

Back