laptop to tv audio wire ?

Manse

Inactive User
Reaction score
What wire type is it that connects the 3.5mm jack from laptop to tv with vga for sound, is it just speaker wire ?
need to make some longer ones then i have bought so netbooks can be moved further away from tv ( vga cable is about 4ft audio is about half that)

What wire type is it that connects the 3.5mm jack from laptop to tv with vga for sound, is it just speaker wire ?
need to make some longer ones then i have bought so netbooks can be moved further away from tv ( vga cable is about 4ft audio is about half that)

Normal speaker cable might 'work' but not ideal, as it will be susceptible to interference from outside sources, like your TV for instance.

Best to use screened cable (the Americans call it shielded). The outer braid screens the inner signal wire from interference. It's not expensive to buy, but it may not be easy to find a retailer locally. Maplin or a local TV/audio repair shop your best bets. Or just buy longer ready-made ones.....

scr.jpg

Its probably easier to get ready made leads off Amazon/ eBay there's loads at longer lengths...

Assume you're using mini-jack from the netbook then find the right plug for the TV end. Mini-jack to stereo phono is really common.

cheers all. might has well just buy longer ones, i found a few 3.5 jackplugs connecters that you just unscrew n solder, aint worth the hassle lol

Back