Laptop advice - which of these is best value?

cdy

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm looking for a new laptop to use for the basics. Don't want to pay less £275 mark.

Which is the 'better' processor: AMD E-Series Dual-Core OR Intel Pentium Dual-Core?
Which is the more user-friendly OP system: W7 or W8?

Compaq Presario CQ58-125SA 15.6" Laptop

Compaq CQ58-261SA 15.6" Laptop

Toshiba Satellite C850D-11Q 15.6" Laptop

To be honest i would go for intel.
Regarding which OS, i would go for windows 8. Didnt rate it much after the beta versions that i tried but now using the full retail version on the main pc and it is brilliant.

In terms of the model, i wouldnt go for any of those.

have a look at these:
Boxing Day Specials | Dell UK

use code:
F?06CQ67G3WCL2

Inspiron 15R i3 ivybrige with 6gb ram for £266 pounds.

I suppose it depends what you mean by the basics.
If you just want to use it for web browsing and word processing then really anything will do.
I like AMD chipsets, but thats just a personal preference and I'm sure that Intel won't let you down, the same goes for Windows, the W8 beta releases were pants, and to be honest I haven't bothered any more with it because Windows 7 does everything I want it to, in fact looking back, so did XP !
All software can be changed anyway if you dont get on with it, so the Asus X55A as posted above by The Dentist should do the job very well.

Many thanks, chaps. The laptop will be used only for general browsing and word processing, so basics only.
Is a laptop with 6gb RAM likely to noticeable out-perform a laptop with 4gb RAM? Which is the 'better' processor: AMD E-Series Dual-Core OR Intel Pentium Dual-Core?
I know virtually nothing about such things, as is evident!
Many thanks

What about this laptop - Not sure if you want to pay more or less than £275 as you mentioned "Don't want to pay less £275 mark"

This one is £329

Acer Aspire E1 15.6-inch Laptop (Black/Silver) - (Intel Core i5 3210 2.5GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-Bit)

Amazon- Acer Aspire E1 15.6-inch Laptop (Black/Silver) - (Intel Core i5 3210 2.5GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-Bit) - Hot UK Deals

Acer Aspire E1 15.6-inch Laptop (Black/Silver) - (Intel Core i5 3210 2.5GHz Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB HDD, DVDSM DL, LAN, WLAN, Webcam, Integrated Graphics, Windows 8 64-Bit): Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

To be honest i would go for intel.
Regarding which OS, i would go for windows 8. Didnt rate it much after the beta versions that i tried but now using the full retail version on the main pc and it is brilliant.

In terms of the model, i wouldnt go for any of those.

have a look at these:

Any new codes, dentist? The code pasted has expired, so has the code listed on hotdeals!
Many thanks

Is there likely to be a significant difference in performance between the two processors? (3rd generation Intel Core i3-3110M vs AMD E1-1200)

Many thanks

Intel pretty much trump AMD at the moment, there was a time when I preferred AMD, but they are loosing the race in terms of performance.

Personally having bought Dell and Toshiba I would steer clear of both having had bad experiences (more than once) with their support and technology (laptops only)

Acer are decent but if you can forgive all the rubbish that gets loaded and rebuild it, you will find they run smoother.

Windows 8 is essentially an enhanced Windows 7, If you don't like the Metro interface (as do most) you can always install Classic Shell which you can give a Win7 feel to it, but retain all the updated features of 8.

The other thing to remember is don't always be put off by low RAM or smaller HDD, these can always be upgraded, whereas things such as chips, graphics or on-board elements can't

Just bought and Asus model for a family member and I would recommend them as they are pretty sturdy (aluminum casings on most models), have decent specs's usually.

Last edited:
Intel pretty much trump AMD at the moment, there was a time when I preferred AMD, but they are loosing the race in terms of performance.

Personally having bought Dell and Toshiba I would steer clear of both having had bad experiences (more than once) with their support and technology (laptops only)

Acer are decent but if you can forgive all the rubbish that gets loaded and rebuild it, you will find they run smoother.

Windows 8 is essentially an enhanced Windows 7, If you don't like the Metro interface (as do most) you can always install Classic Shell which you can give a Win7 feel to it, but retain all the updated features of 8.

The other thing to remember is don't always be put off by low RAM or smaller HDD, these can always be upgraded, whereas things such as chips, graphics or on-board elements can't

Thanks, Exos.
Now to my OpenBox .... !!!

Back