Lacie 5Big NAS

Shindig

DW Regular
Reaction score
Guys,

Anyone have any user experience of a Lacie 5Big NAS.

I am looking at a real long term NAS solution (10tb+) and the lacie ticks all the right boxes. Seems a good price for the diskless version and accepts the WD Green HD.

discuss...

LaCie and long term solution are not things you'll generally hear in the same sentence. They have a rep for a high failure rate, often with power problems rather than hard drive failure.

Apparently they were bought by Seagate in 2012, so may have improved. Read some recent reviews on the likes of Amazon.

Last edited:
QNAP all the way, they just go and go and go!!!

And can handle multiple connections, we have a couple of appleTV 2's connected to our nas plus PC's and laptops, and it fly's on my gigabit network :)

Mick

I had looked at QNAP.
I will revisit it.

The one thing that pulled me into the LACIE was the support for the WD Green HDs of which I have one 3TB already.
All part of the project doing the research before a new purchase!

To come at it from another angle. The following are a waste of space:

Netgear ReadyNAS (I had an argument with a guy the other day about this, he was going to buy a 2 bay Netgear, for £35 more than a 4 Bay QNAP, with more features). Naturally he bought the Netgear, but mainly because he was a ****** Muppet. And his logic? Because it was a Netgear.
Zyxel
Lacie
Buffalo (reasonable but lack features)
D-Link
WD
Iomega

Drobo (These are OK, but they feel cheap)

There are only two NAS devices I would EVER buy, Synology or QNAP. The features in either far outweigh any other NAS by a long stretch.

Last edited:
Back