Kenwood 4551U just died!

Gun_Man

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a Kenwood KDC-DAB4551U car stereo. It has worked fine for about a year, today when I got up and went to switch it on it just wouldn't turn on. It was almost like a fuse had blown. I have checked the power supply and it is getting 12v DC also I have taken the unit out and checked the 10amp fuse at the back of the unit and that is fine. Once plugged in and "on" nothing is displayed on the front unit no lights no sounds but checking with a meter the unit is still getting its 12 DC. Is there an internal fuse that may have blown?
Can anyone help or point me in the right direction to post the unit off for repair. I just called a company that I found of google and they said £75 plus VAT I said no way I can get a new unit for that.
01_11_078_TA380.jpgkenwood-kdc-4551u.33935719.jpg

is it getting 12v on both power inputs the switched and constant

Yes mate both have 12v hence why I thought it was an internal fuse or something?

I forgot to mention that I did take it to a local dealer and they fixed the problem. They said that there are two layers of circuit board inside the radio and what links them together is a small piece of wire. My radio had become wet/damp and as a result the hair thin wire had snapped. They charged me £50 for the whole repair a lot cheaper than getting a new unit.

Back