Just got a Wii - Want Solderless Chip

MH

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Pretty much as the title says.

Just got myself a new Wii with Wii FAT :)

Now I want to chip it, I would rather use a solderless chip. As I cant be arsed soldering ;)

What do I need?

Any Hints and Tip?!

can work out about the same price to be honest depends how much u can zelda game for etc

i did have drivekey modchips for £35 or so, plug them in and away you go, no messing with IOS's when games dont work etc, far easier than messing with softmod

il give u a pm when i have some in stock if you want, shouldnt be too long maybe mid next week

as plexo says, the drivekey, they average around 35/37 quid, if he cant get you any then 360mods have them, similar price

open your wii, if you order from 360mods they give you a tri driver free anyway, as some of the screws will need it, get to the drive unit, take out the ribbon and attach the ribbon from the drivekey, put the ribbon you first took out into the drivekey and your done, thats it :) it basically sits in line m8

with the menu upgrades i think i might get a drive key just looked on youtube and damm easy to install

free triwings come along with the 1's i have here too ofcourse ;)

should have them mid next week if you can wait til then £35 delivered for dw users :)

I have used chip and softmod and find no difference between them performance wise. As for renting it, good luck as I tried to rent the game from Blockbuster; when i called them to see if they had the game I was told that Nintendo does not allow rental copies.

do you only have to use this game once to get this softmod thing to work ? as i know nothing about modding the wii

Is there any performance issues with the Softmod?

cant really say as i dont know for certain but some people have experienced slowdowns with the softmod however, if they are so cheap as to not bother with a modchip, my guess is that they have cheaped out on discs too and it would be down to bad burns and cheap ass discs lol

modchips are just there for ease of use, no need to fiddle about with it when new games come out to get them working, or messing with IOS's when software updates come out

if they are so cheap as to not bother with a modchip
lol mines had 2 chips fitted now its softmoded.
once you soft mod you dont take updates once you are on 3.2e so if you copy the twilight hack accross again your wii wont delete it, it only deletes it when your on 3.4e if you get my point but you will still need the game to activate the hack but again once you have the homebrewchannel installed you wont need the game again after that. i havent noticed any difference between the softmod and the chip but with my sisters wii i think the lazer is on the way out the argon chip in it wont read copys but the softmod does no problem allthough saying that it could also mean the chip is knackered. also i wouldnt call it messing having to install ios files every so often it takes less than 2 mins to do and its not like there released every week. also with soft mii you can use it region free with no effort and disable game updates so you dont need to worry about accidently updating your wii

Last edited:
I think I may try the softmod route 1st I think. I love the Zelda games so I just need to buy it :)

I will need to downgrade my console, I think I am on the latest at the moment.
So is Softmii the best?

i cant say for sure mate but softmii seems the way alot of people have gone personally i like it. check which f/w your on mate if your on the very latest you will not be able to do it yet 4.0e i think its called it only came out in the last week. you want to be on 3.4e or lower the latest one blocks softmii im lead to believe.

Yeah, its deffo the latest. It updated yesterday,

So what you are saying, is that I cannot downgrade at the moment?

I need a dopey mods guide for this....lol. I like the idea of a softmod at the moment as I do not have to crack it open yet.

Back