iMac Just been given an A1005 ibook.. what operating system do i use?

dibbers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Chaps, just been given an iBook A1005, i have never had one before and have no idea where to start, it's got no power adaptor with it so looks like I'll buy one, what are they like? i don't want to get into one of the "which is the best a PC with Windows or a Mac" but just want an honest opinion on what i should do with it, might get the bottom of and see if i can upgrade the HDD and the RAM straight off, seen one like ages ago and had a play with some video editing software, but have no idea of operating system etc, any pointers please?

Cheers in advance..

(and some how managed to double post, could the other one be removed please)

sorry just got back to this, have ordered a power cable to get it up and running, is that the name of the OS that i look for via a torrent and can you use copied versions etc? massive mac n00b alert!

I had a iBook G4 which I bought for £20 and it was pretty damn cool. I only sold it because I was skint and it didn't run Flash. I got more than £200 when I sold it. :)

sorry just got back to this, have ordered a power cable to get it up and running, is that the name of the OS that i look for via a torrent and can you use copied versions etc? massive mac n00b alert!

Just search for OSX 10.3 Panther.

Mac OS X 10.3: System requirements

http://thepiratebay.org/torrent/5526962

Other alternative, but a bit pricey when you consider it will have been supplied already with the iBook

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mac-OS-X-...ing_Apple_Mac_Accessories&hash=item4cfa99b93f

Last edited:
@ Dibs, remember you do not pay for the OS on a MAC, it's part of the system.

Even if you do download it, technically you are not pirating it as it comes with the system - as long as you install the same version your machine came with, if you upgrade then a charge is applied.

Thanks guys, downloading that software now, thanks again.....just got to wait for the power lead to turn upski......cheers

OK guys, got me power pack and it fires up! woot! how ever, only when the lids partially open, so would seem a dodgy connection etc on the hinges when you open the lid, think (when i get a minute) I'll take the bottom off and see what the crack is with the hinges etc.

Doesn't look as though it's booting into any thing though as can just see a spinning logo/ egg timer........how ever i can worry about if i fix the lid opening/display options...

ok loose connection near the lid, have managed to get it to display though, what you guys think as the 1st initial loading screen shows the apple sign perfect?

IMG_0190.jpg

IMG_0189.jpg

IMG_0188.jpg

bump? if i can please.......downlaoded and burned to a dvd.....snowleopard_10a432_userdvd, can't get it to boot from the DVD like? and of course can't see much with the screen being like that...

Entirely possible it is the graphics adapter that needs replacing.

Have you tried different resolutions? It could be the boot up screen is in 640x480 but the high modes cause it to go blocky and pixelate.

Thanks for the reply mate, i can't get to see where to change the darn thing......so i was hoping a fresh install would have worked......tried pressing "C" when it's boooting but nada......

Does it do the same on an external monitor. Apologies if you have already tried it.

I've just been reading up, if it does this then it's possible its the logic board.

Last edited:
Hi, erm haven't been able to try it on an external monitor as i haven't got the cable for it......if it's gooshed then it's going in the bin, not going to spend any more time on it then! might sell for parts etc....if i can find the hdd to remove!

Thanks matey, i was hoping that it was a software issue with the 1st inital apple screen showing fine....

Cheers

Ah, i think it needs a miniVGA cable for connection.

There are a few threads around regarding a problem with the logic board in the iBooks. There is a fix, but it seems messy (that's assuming the problem you have is the same)

How to fix a broken G4 iBook logic board problem

I did try to look if there was an easy hotkey/cmd line way to change the res, but to no avail.

it's going on ebay then mate, just bought a new power pack for it and not got the time or the Patience to sit messing on with it for now...

Thanks again.

it's going on ebay then mate, just bought a new power pack for it and not got the time or the Patience to sit messing on with it for now...

Thanks again.

How much are gonna sell it for mate I might give it go as i enjoy mucking around learning new things

Back