Jtag whats the best method

gasman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have inherited my lads old console and just want to have a go at jtagging it, so far I have learned it its a jasper with a lite-on drive DG16D25 and also that the kernel version is 2.0.16197.0
All this leaves me thinking its good to go but what's the best method ? I have a maplins local so ill be going the solder component route but one issue I do have is not having a pc set up to take the serial cable on some of the jtag methods ive so far seen (all laptops/tablets here).
Any suggestions on what to search for etc be appreciated.
Cheers

is the method of building a DB-25 to RJ45 Cable still ok ? I can get an old pc out the attic and set it up to dump the nand, just wondered if there was a different way these days. I wanted to have a go at it tomorrow while im off work.

More than likely but not 100% as i use the nandx , as it only takes a minute or 2 to dump the nand with it.

That's the method i have been looking at looks a little complicated but should be able to dig out or pick up all the necessary parts in the morning :) then give it a crack

More than likely but not 100% as i use the nandx , as it only takes a minute or 2 to dump the nand with it.

Just found this it's basically a jtag chip, looks a lot tidier than my caveman effort will be lol. I would order one but this is one of them projects which is more in the learning how to do it than anything else plus i wont get time after this weekend and it will just sit there taunting me in bits.

If you are only going to do the one console then go for the home made reader.

Yea just doing this one to learn how really, i can see my inherited Xbox getting revoked though once it's running games off HDD

For once I am going to disagree with Dave24. If you are only going to do the one console, I would say send it to Dave24

You can't really go any further without the Phat DGX which will cost you some 30 odd pounds plus delivery. Your project will just will sit there until the DGX is released and arrives at your doorstep. I would presume that the console is a big block jasper. The LPT method takes 45 odd minutes for 16MB, you need to read 64MB and also get two matching matching dumps. The Nand-X will save you the time. I know there is joy in the sense of accomplishment, but it is not worth it in terms of initial expenditure, time spent as well as risk.

The pro's will have the equipment and also experience to tweak it for the best boot times.

My situation is doing this from purely educational purposes, we have had unmodded boxes for years and will continue too own them and play on xb live, the reason i want to mod this one is simply because I want to know what its all about. I will still be a microsoft customer but might manage to swerve some of the shite games they serve up from time to time as they will be tested prior to purchase.

Just wish i could find a tutorial that allows you to connect the jtag to a usb instead of the ltp port !! Fecking things are only on one of my old towers

think it`s either LPT or buy the nandx or another spi reader/writer.how`s your soldering skills?
Just wish i could find a tutorial that allows you to connect the jtag to a usb instead of the ltp port !! Fecking things are only on one of my old towers

Last edited:
Search the net for "RGH 'roadmap' for n00bies", it is on another forum and should shed more light.

You will need to flash the coolrunner too, so buying the JR-programmer (hardware) is your route as you can read/write the nand as well as flash the coolrunner. (Make sure you get the V2 as it is faster.) It is connected via USB to PC. The wiring on the console side is the same.

Search the net for "RGH 'roadmap' for n00bies", it is on another forum and should shed more light.

You will need to flash the coolrunner too, so buying the JR-programmer (hardware) is your route as you can read/write the nand as well as flash the coolrunner. (Make sure you get the V2 as it is faster.) It is connected via USB to PC. The wiring on the console side is the same.

The race is on lol let's see if i can dump my nand before that programmer gets delivered ;)

ltp1 to usb adapter might be the answer otherwise i am digging old faithful out of the attic :)

45 minutes per nand reading x 2 last xmas for me, until some one told me I only needed the first 32 blocks or so.....that was a waiting game....

Oh and the joy of a "compare" not....after 90 minutes of dos..... :)

If i was just doing the one console i would buy the jr-programmer well worth the money , i couldn`t be arsed waiting around for 45 mins for one nand read :(
45 minutes per nand reading x 2 last xmas for me, until some one told me I only needed the first 32 blocks or so.....that was a waiting game....

Oh and the joy of a "compare" not....after 90 minutes of dos..... :)

this time last year..... ;)

I am currently 10 minutes in after piss arsing about with resistors and a red hot iron for the last few hours :(

"I should have listened to Dave" where the words echoing through my head about an hour ago

PS what's this about only needing the first 32 blocks ?

that wasn't out this time last year though...... which led me onto the 45 minute nand reading....

Back