Linux is the linux os good?

Can u hardwire.. ?? if u can do so.. then perform repositries update..

System > Administration > Update Manager

Yeah i can hardwire. I'll do that now mate as something did come up before about drivers but obviously it failed because no net connection!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

266 updates just downloading now. Will report back once there done, see if its installed the right drivers, hopefully!

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

LMK how it goes mate
done the update mate and my wireless network kicked straight in after the reboot for the updates, so thats that sorted, just need to have a butchers about now, seems ok so far but iv not really done anything, oh yeah, now that im dual booting how do i mount my windows 7 partition, any ideas!!!

and do i need to install an antivirus, someone earlier said i dont need antivirus with this?

Anything you need help with just ask..

im not sure about the mounting but when you reboot it should be asking which os you would like to boot??

Anything you need help with just ask..

im not sure about the mounting but when you reboot it should be asking which os you would like to boot??
well everythings baffling me at the minute to be honest, but its like anything new i guess, yeah when i boot it asks which OS id like to boot into so thats sorted, i'll just have a butchers round it see whats there and try to familarise myself with it, thanks for help though matey!:Clap::proud:

whats it like to setup though mate is it a twat, as im not really bothered about linux, its just gunna be something to mess about with really!

Really easy......just follow your nose

need to register for a 30 day trial unless there are codes in the usual places :)

https://www.vmware.com/tryvmware/?p=vmware-workstation&lp=1

With VMware Workstation 7, you can:

* Run applications in Linux, Windows 7, Windows XP Mode and over 200 other operating systems all simultaneously
* Streamline software development, testing, and debugging with rich integration with the SpringSource Tool Suite, Visual Studio, and Eclipse
* Run VMware vSphere 4 and ESXi in a virtual machine for experimenting, testing, training, and demonstrating the power of vSphere
* Evaluate and test new operating systems, applications and patches in an isolated environment
* Rapidly create virtual machine for students, with all the lessons, applications, and tools required for the course within a secure, isolated virtual machine

Been running linux for past 5 years . Went windows free (Well apart from virtual box XP for my daughters desktop)

It can do nearly everything windows does and you can chuck any hardware at it and the drivers should already be there. Any questions feel free to ask and i'll try to help you out.

Yeah im a linux user, dont bother with firewall, virus software.. .. system boots up in 30 seconds max..

I've installed Wine on my system. I run a couple of windows programs through it..

Id go for Ubuntu as its easy to use.. if you do take the plunge.. dual boot and get it running how you want it :).

Heres a screenshot of mine..

Uploaded with Im

nice one mate, looks good :)

regards steve.

You'll be surprised at the amount of customisation you can do with the OS in linux.

one of the first things you'll probably do is change the theme / display etc.. beyond the basics you can even change the interface completely to a different windows manager altogether

by default Ubuntu comes with the default window manager (interface) called Gnome - like in the screenshot above.
but another popular window manager is KDE - which is more windows like in its start menu... you can install both gnome and kde and when you login choose which one to run... you can install KDE from synaptic package manager / apt-get etc etc

the equivalent in laymans terms would be booting your pc up and having the choice of using a osx like interface or a windows like interface... its all down to preferece.

its all trial and error to see what you prefer - the customization options you get with linux are great

as VM is mentioned, I would recommend it . I set up a sandbox using 14 Blade Servers, a 10 TB SAN unit and currently run about 80 systems ranging from SQL servers, Citrix, Windows, Linux and doesnt skip a beat.

Ive been looking at linux for sometime but im a funny duddy wen it comes to change ive been so used to the windows platform.Well ive got 2 pc,s and just wanna do waht u said on this forum jus give it a whirl of a usb stick the pc i wanna try it is jus a low grade back up system and i mean low grade good processor but minimlest ram has

intel pentium 2.66ghz processor
256mb of ram

is that enough to run linux as it runs xp fine.
and what size usb stick would i need?

thanks in advance

Ive been looking at linux for sometime but im a funny duddy wen it comes to change ive been so used to the windows platform.Well ive got 2 pc,s and just wanna do waht u said on this forum jus give it a whirl of a usb stick the pc i wanna try it is jus a low grade back up system and i mean low grade good processor but minimlest ram has

intel pentium 2.66ghz processor
256mb of ram

is that enough to run linux as it runs xp fine.
and what size usb stick would i need?

thanks in advance

Linux isnt as power hungry as windows. so it will run yes.

You will need at least 2gb usb stick.

I run Ubuntu on a dektop and Joli OS on a netbook and I'm very pleased. They boot quicker and don't lag and been hassle free. On my desktop, XP has gotten to a point the monitor keeps dropping out. I know it's graphics driver related but it's pee'd me off so much Ubuntu is the only one I boot into on it.

I only have a couple of criticisms. On my desktop, I had to plug an ethernet cable in to download the drivers to get my wireless card working and I've never found a working nvidia graphics driver for 3D acceleration. On my netbook, it doesn't pick up the battery charge. Other than that, I've plugged hardware in that's worked straight away that's taken lengthy driver downloads and installations in Windows and will cover anything Windows can do.

came across this post today and thought i would try dualbooting,got ubuntu on now.using the software center i tried getting adobe flash plugin but feckin takin years and not doing anything when downloaded

came across this post today and thought i would try dualbooting,got ubuntu on now.using the software center i tried getting adobe flash plugin but feckin takin years and not doing anything when downloaded

have you tried the following from

Adobe - Flash Player 10: Installation instructions

Installation instructions via APT

Click the download link and follow the instructions to complete installation
To verify the plugin is installed in Mozilla, launch Mozilla and choose Help > About Plug-ins from the browser menu.
To get the most up-to-date Flash Player in the future, issue the following commands from the Terminal:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin

there are some other options from the above link but I find apt-get from the cmd line easy to use

tryed the link,looked to install ok but didnt

tryed the first command and went ok
tryed the second command and it says this

Package adobe-flashplugin is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source

E: Package 'adobe-flashplugin' has no installation candidate
bro@ubuntu:~$

Sounds like your repositories need updating,

When you are in the package manager one of the tabs should have the option of choosing more repositories :)

Sent from my ZTE-BLADE using Tapatalk

Back