Linux is the linux os good?

fireblade

Elite Member
Reaction score
saw this on click this morning and they was on about the os for linux? is it any good guys?

regards steve.

saw this on click this morning and they was on about the os for linux? is it any good guys?

regards steve.

that depends on what distro you use. some like ubuntu are pretty good and easy to get used to for those new to linux. theres so much that can be said both for and against that i literally would not have the time to write it all.

Yeah im a linux user, dont bother with firewall, virus software.. .. system boots up in 30 seconds max..

I've installed Wine on my system. I run a couple of windows programs through it..

Id go for Ubuntu as its easy to use.. if you do take the plunge.. dual boot and get it running how you want it :).

Heres a screenshot of mine..

Uploaded with Im

you can download a live cd of Ubuntu which will run linux for you without formating or partitioning your drive off.... nice to give it a go if you dont want to plunge head first into the unknown.

If you dont mind getting your hands dirty so to speak and learn a bit then Linux is great - ive used Ubuntu on and off for years, very quick, stable and secure.

im assuming i could mount this with a virtual drive to test it out rather than diving right in, if so could someone point me in the right direction of this live cd or an iso i could mount which would work well for a linux beginner!

im assuming i could mount this with a virtual drive to test it out rather than diving right in, if so could someone point me in the right direction of this live cd or an iso i could mount which would work well for a linux beginner!

If you've got a spare USB stick floating around, install ubuntu onto it.. give it a trial through that.. You can run it like a normal installation but when you reboot it reverts back to factory.

Edit sorry,

Heres the ISO

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ubuntu/download

To burn the ISO stick you will need another program..

Just follow the steps on that link.. answering all questions..

Last edited:
Another thing aswell.. all hardware i throw at it works without software.. Ive just been in the garage and dug out a USB wifi stick.. plugged it in and it asked for the WPA key..

Dont need no drivers as theyre already installed.. everything and i mean everything works..

If you've got a spare USB stick floating around, install ubuntu onto it.. give it a trial through that.. You can run it like a normal installation but when you reboot it reverts back to factory.

Edit sorry,

Heres the ISO

Download | Ubuntu

To burn the ISO stick you will need another program..

Just follow the steps on that link.. answering all questions..
cheers matey thats sound, i'll have a go at this after top gear!:Clap:

Another thing aswell.. all hardware i throw at it works without software.. Ive just been in the garage and dug out a USB wifi stick.. plugged it in and it asked for the WPA key..

Dont need no drivers as theyre already installed.. everything and i mean everything works..
do you dual boot with windows or are you a dedicated linux user, im just downloading the iso now so i'll see what happens, i would love to have this dual booting with my normal windows 7 and so i have an option to select it at startup, is that possible!

do you dual boot with windows or are you a dedicated linux user, im just downloading the iso now so i'll see what happens, i would love to have this dual booting with my normal windows 7 and so i have an option to select it at startup, is that possible!

Yep, Dual booting is fine.. On the install it asks if you want to dual boot..

Then when you reboot, the boot screen shows up.. select the Os and away you go :)

Im a dedicated linux user but have got it dual booted.. the mrs refuses to use linux.. so its basically for her.. and linux for me.

I used SlySoft Virtual CloneDrive to mount the ISO on windows 7

You then have an option to install ubuntu inside of windows....you select how much disk space from what you have availbale......I just normanlly do around 20GB (once booted in unbuntu you can mount win7 ntfs patitions)

once it's installed reboot your PC then you'll see both boot options, win7 and ubuntu.... first time you boot off ubuntu it takes a few minutes while it sets itself up

you can go into win7 add/remove programmes and remove it anytime you want

I'm also having a play around with VM Virtual workstation

once VM WS is installed you can have as many OS installed as you like as long as your pc has the resourses

I'm also having a play around with VM Virtual workstation

once VM WS is installed you can have as many OS installed as you like as long as your pc has the resourses
whats it like to setup though mate is it a twat, as im not really bothered about linux, its just gunna be something to mess about with really!

Last edited:
VM Ware is a piece of piss to setup - just like installing any other program.
When you want to install an OS you specify how much HD space you want to give it and thats it really.

Same as ste.. ubunto is a piece of piss to setup.. its like windows.. but 10x faster... only takes around 5 mins.

Right gents im now dual booting with ubuntu and windows 7. Now im in ubuntu and trying to connect to my wireless, but dont understand it really. Its asking for ssid which i know is my network name, but whats bssid, device mac and cloned mac, how do i find these out?

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

Click on the wireless icon see what options it gives.. try entering your wep key..

Click on the wireless icon see what options it gives.. try entering your wep key..
im back in windows so i can see for replys, lol, what i did was enter my wpa key on the 2nd tab, but on the 1st tab in wireless settings thats where it was asking for ssid and bssid, then device mac and stuff. so i havnt got a clue how to figure these out, or is there a way to automatically sort it out!

You should be able to click on the wireless icon next to the clock etc.. a drop down lowers.. select your wireless name, type in the network key and it auto connects..

You should be able to click on the wireless icon next to the clock etc.. a drop down lowers.. select your wireless name, type in the network key and it auto connects..
nothing was coming up for wireless mate, no1's connections were showing when i checked, is it maybe the drivers arent installed for my wireless!

i'll check back on my phone in 5 mins! :proud:

Back