Is shower knackered?

johnny bravo

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys got a thermostatic bar shower, I think it's a bristan make..anyway the cold water side, the knob was very loose and couldn't turn on the water. I tightened the screw and it still wouldn't turn on the water. The knob just keeps spinning, not gripping. I opened it up , can't see whsts wrong , which way does that plastic white thing fit..I just can't seem to get it to grip so I can turn on the shower..is it knackered? Ta

Attachments

• 20220707_001108.jpg
    20220707_001108.jpg
    700.5 KB · Views: 31
  • 20220707_001143.jpg
    20220707_001143.jpg
    707.2 KB · Views: 34
Can you use something to turn round the white housing and see if it works , could be something worn out on the cover that connects to it ?

Left turn on right off

I think it turns to the left anticlockwise to turn on the water.
Which way dies the white housing fit? First pic or second? Ta

Think the inside of actual cover that slides over the spindle bit on the cartridge may be worn out as I can tighten the screw but the housing still just spins around, doesn't grip the spindle...wonder if you can buy just the housing..?

Might be better just get a new valve only, there are plenty options that would fit yours at a guess, like this one
Shower valve and its only 2 nuts to undo should be easy enough.

That pic looks like the temperature adjustment side, water on or off should be on the left side afaik?

The spindle that is sticking out that runs through the controller valve looks like it has a spline. I would think that the spline in the plastic that fits onto the spindle has worn and is just spinning around and not gripping the spindle. It’s the handle that probably needs replaced.

Looking at those white bits there has to be something else that it mates to them to allow it to turn.
Is it in your knob and the metal shaft does it have splines to grip the white bit and when your knob is turned the shaft also rotates?

I'm the same as @wiz569 and @Joe Noodles. Mine has cold water feed on the left. Never known them to be different, in the UK at least. Whichever one it is it looks like you may need to replace the corresponding cartridge.

One on the right shows what looks like the white plastic bit?

Attachments

• bristan_aqueous_thermostatic_bar_mixer_shower_aq_shxvoff_c.jpg
    bristan_aqueous_thermostatic_bar_mixer_shower_aq_shxvoff_c.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 21
Definitely cold water on the right...I didn't see anything else inside the housing when I opened it up..all that was inside was the white plastic thing, a small washer , a screw and a retaining washer on the outside..

Looking at those white bits there has to be something else that it mates to them to allow it to turn.
Is it in your knob and the metal shaft does it have splines to grip the white bit and when your knob is turned the shaft also rotates?
Nothing in the knob it's just plastic , spline fits into the knob, if anything else was in there I would have seen it..I'll take a few clearer pictures after work...this is the model number

Attachments

• 20220707_061340.jpg
    20220707_061340.jpg
    475.8 KB · Views: 20
Can you see any splines on that shaft sticking out thinking worn out and could be turned by a very small vice grips.

Can you see any splines on that shaft sticking out thinking worn out and could be turned by a very small vice grips.
That will likely be made from brass so unlikely the spline will worn on the spindle ,more likely the the female spline on the plastic knob has worn away giving it no grip and just spinning imo. He just needs to replace the handle but finding one is another matter.
Somebody selling a similar shower second hand on eBay maybe.

What happens when you turn the handle on the left? Does this control temperature or does water start to flow. Looked on the Bristan website and their Bar shower mixer have the thermostat on the right side. It’s strange that yours would be the opposite way round. Also the flow should not have a button on the knob only the thermostat side has a button on the knob. Also no plastic inserts on the flow side inside the knob. I think you may have got mixed up tbh no pun intended.
First picture is of the flow side no button or plastic insert and the second picture is of the thermostat side with plastic insert and button.

1F644992-A23B-43E9-BADA-277EC7FD8206.jpegD9804047-877C-417B-BA99-E2E56C54024F.jpeg

Last edited:
You do know how dopey plumbers are hot tap on left in one room and right in another room.

Dont get me started on the hanging toilet paper near to wall or closer to user for grabbing.

Hot on the left and cold on the right as you look at in front of you..its connected correctly, hsve had no issues for many years until now. The hot side is fine, turns ok but no water.. as avid said I think the female spline in the knob has worn away hence not mating with spindle.

One side should control flow of water and one side has a thermostat to control temperature. Which side do you turn when you want a shower as thermostat side should not be moved that often as it only controls temperature making the water flow hotter or colder by small adjustments of the knob

Back