is it a router i need?

danger mouse

Inactive User
Reaction score
will try and best explain the situation and what i want to achieve and hopefully someone will be able to pint me in the right direction.

im currently running an ethernet cable to my house from the neighbours house to my tm500, it goes from his modem to his router and then to my house.

basically i was wanting to put a router(?) on the end of the ethernet cable in my house so that i could split it off to my ps3 and another sat box, will try and explain using some sort of arrowed listing, lol.

current set-upmodem > router > wired to various pc's/consoles/recievers (1 of which is in my house

what im hoping to achievemodem > router > wired to various pc's/consoles/recievers > router at my end > 3 devices connected

basically ive seen things about switches/routers and im not sure which i want(if any).
if i put a router on the end of a cable from a router will it split into a few directions, allowing a couple of recievers and console to be active at the same time.

sorry for the wittering, not sure if ive got it explained well, soon find out though wont i.

in reality m8 u only need a switch m8, however all these home modems have switches on them (the 4 LAN ports) so you would need your one cable in and remaining 3 for wired connections. You could also use the wifi if the home router has it withch most do now.

If u have a dd-wrt compatable u can assign the WAN port to the LAN thus giving you 5 ports in total but one reserverd for the one coming from next door.

one thing you might need to watch out for is, that if for a switch port on one connects to another switch port you might need a cross over cable.

i dont need it for wireless, purely for 3 wired connections.

im not great with the altering of settings on routers etc, pretty basic really, passwords n thats about it!

with the link above would i be able to plug my ethernet cable as the input and then use 3 for the outputs, trying to keep it as cheap as possible and as simple as possible in terms of set up aswell.

cheers

Back