iPad Ipad 4 wi-fi only locked?!!

hoss6800

Member ++
Reaction score
Hi,

I started bidding on an iPad 4 few nights ago after having couple of pints ( big big mistake :bangshead::bangshead::frown: )
It arrived today, and it’s locked by an Apple ID and password.
After reading lots of post of different sites, I understand there is nothing that can be done to bypass this.
Just thought I check here before emailing the seller about sending this back.
Although I am not sure I can, as it was stated that it was locked, but I didn't notice it. Juts saw that it has a cracked screen, got tempted thinking easy fix, as I have done one already with the help of you guys.

Can't you put it into Recovery Mode and reset from iTunes?

Disconnect the iPad from the computer, but leave the USB cable connected to the computer.
Hold down the "Sleep/Wake" button for several seconds until a red slider appears. Move your finger across the slider to turn the iPad off.
Connect the iPad to the computer while holding down the "Home" button to turn on the iPad.
Release the "Home" button when you see a message that says, "Connect to iTunes."
Launch iTunes. iTunes will alert you that it detects a device in Recovery Mode.
Click "OK" and click "Restore" to reset the iPad.

If that doesn't work try DFU Mode (Device Firmware Upgrade).

Uttering the odd prayer may help ;)

Can't you put it into Recovery Mode and reset from iTunes?

No, it's called the 'Activation Lock'. If i device has been tied to 'Find my iPhone', it's tied to that iTunes account it was registered with. When you come to activate it, it checks and if it's tied to an account, it'll ask for the iTunes email and password to continue.

The only way is for the original user it to remove it from www.icloud.com so it's no longer trackable. it's an anti-theft measure.

DFU Mode makes no difference, that'll let you wipe it back to factory - but not activate. iCloud: Activation Lock

:) I don't think its even suitable for that, as it has a cracked screen :D
I have emailed the seller on ebay and have to wait to see if s/he replies
Could I go down the road of opening a dispute of paypal, as the item could be a stolen one?
I Paid £80,this teaches me to not to go on ebay while drinking, i am an idiot
Thanks guys for your help and support

how was it sold to u if its not as described when bought you could open a paypal dispute , if you paid by that is

if it was LISTED as 'itunes or icloud locked' then it IS as listed

I paid using paypal, all there was on the selling page was
"Screen has a crack to top left. When I upgraded to iOS 7 the device locked and I can't do anything past the activation screen."

I have noticed last night there seem to be a lot of these on ebay, locked to Apple ID. Why people buy them? Do they use them for parts?

Thanks for everyone's help and support.

"Screen has a crack to top left. When I upgraded to iOS 7 the device locked and I can't do anything past the activation screen."

I think you might get stuck there. He's said it's crack and activation locked, i think the seller will argue it's as described.

Parts only i'm afraid. On the activation screen it tells you PART of the iTunes email account it's locked to

yes, first letter and and one after @ and .uk at the end
Never mind, we live and learn. I will take this as an expensive lesson :D
thanks all for your help

it would be a shame you dropped it at home and screen was more cracked beyond repair and the case bent. or water damaged - you only choice would be home insurance claim. hint hint.

wouldn't you need proof of purchase for that?! I will look into this :) thanks

I don't need to lie, I bought it on ebay
I don't need to proof it to anyone, but if you like I can send you a screen capture of my Ebay page, where you can see the items I have purchased, and my user ID there is not far off from my user ID here.
What difference does it make anyway :O

Back